Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Absolutely. I’m only going on the Gov updates and this thread, basically. The vast majority of twitter (or my Twitter feed, anyway...) and Facebook is really unhelpful.

I work in an office of around 100 people - of those 5 have the symptoms of Covid, and I have at least two other friends with symptoms - none of those have been tested. Assuming all of those recover, and I really hope they do, none of them will be counted anywhere in relation to the actual final numbers of people that had it.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
And when you consider that a huge amount of people can catch the virus and not even know (75% of 3000 tested in one Italian Village) then the percentage could be even lower.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I work in an office of around 100 people - of those 5 have the symptoms of Covid, and I have at least two other friends with symptoms - none of those have been tested. Assuming all of those recover, and I really hope they do, none of them will be counted anywhere in relation to the actual final numbers of people that had it.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that a test is being produced that will allow to check for antibodies - i.e. that hopefully at some point in the coming weeks/months you will be able to know whether you've had it or not. I assume as we move on from this, they will want to gather that data to get a good idea of the final numbers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And when you consider that a huge amount of people can catch the virus and not even know (75% of 3000 tested in one Italian Village) then the percentage could be even lower.

A lot of people still seem to have the wrong idea about the virus. Because it is - rightly - such a big deal in the media at the moment, people assume you must only have it if you have really severe symptoms. Quite the opposite.

The amount of people I have heard recently saying things along the lines of "I had a temp for 3 days, dizzy, no appetite, but I didn't have a cough so it can't be CV" or vice versa etc. Now don't get me wrong, plenty of those probably weren't CV, but this paper would suggest more of them were than we may have realised.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Japan reported three new cases on Wednesday. But Hokkaido, the worst-affected Japanese region with 154 cases, is lifting its state of emergency - in place since late February - after officials said the spread of the virus appeared to be ending.

China's National Health Commission (NHC) reported no domestically transmitted cases in China for the first time since the virus emerged in late December.

It also said there were no cases at all in Wuhan, the outbreak centre which was essentially locked down earlier this year, but 34 cases arriving from abroad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51955931

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Japan reported three new cases on Wednesday. But Hokkaido, the worst-affected Japanese region with 154 cases, is lifting its state of emergency - in place since late February - after officials said the spread of the virus appeared to be ending.

China's National Health Commission (NHC) reported no domestically transmitted cases in China for the first time since the virus emerged in late December.

It also said there were no cases at all in Wuhan, the outbreak centre which was essentially locked down earlier this year, but 34 cases arriving from abroad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51955931

thank you for this considered, factual post

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Positive news. Do you have a source, thanks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

I’ll look around for it. I’m following various virologists, uni science departments, and labs are they’re putting out a lot of results from studies. A couple of them mentioned this, but I can’t remember exactly who.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I’ll look around for it. I’m following various virologists, uni science departments, and labs are they’re putting out a lot of results from studies. A couple of them mentioned this, but I can’t remember exactly who.

My post on this thread relates to this: https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-News-thread&p=9284597&viewfull=1#post9284597

Also, this opinion piece discusses the lack of data we have surrounding number of infections: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17...e-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My post on this thread relates to this: https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-News-thread&p=9284597&viewfull=1#post9284597

Also, this opinion piece discusses the lack of data we have surrounding number of infections: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17...e-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

There are a few positive figure indicators starting to come out (thankfully). 75% infection rate is significantly higher than any others I've seen, and although 3,000 is a relatively small group, an infection rate this high, with a relatively low death rate would be excellent news.

*edit*

And, from [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] link above

"The vast majority of people infected with Covid-19, between 50 and 75%, are completely asymptomatic but represent a formidable source of contagion". The Professor of Clinical Immunology of the University of Florence Sergio Romagnani writes this at the top of the Tuscany Region, in anticipation of a strong increase in cases also in the Region, on the basis of the study on the inhabitants of Vo 'Euganeo where the 3000 inhabitants of the country are been subjected to swab.

Very positive

Last edited:

Oldest young Potting is in year 13 (upper sixth to us oldies). She has worked very hard on her "A" levels, got good to excellent mock grades and assessments and is hoping that she will manage to get where she wants to go Uni. wise without having to actually take any exams. I hope that the offspring of other NSC'ers find themselves in this fortunate position should that be the route the Government go down. Also potential of lots of overtime in the supermarket in which she works to fund her gap year she hopes!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
[yt]xbEHEzEEHJ8[/yt]

Makes me feel a whole lot safer, although I am not sure I follow the government agenda to let the over 70s die, that he is alluding too.

But puts in to perspective the fatality rate.

Probably just another crack pot idea, what do you think.

wonder why he was banned by the BBC ?

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

[yt]xbEHEzEEHJ8[/yt]

Makes me feel a whole lot safer, although I am not sure I follow the government agenda to let the over 70s die, that he is alluding too.

But puts in to perspective the fatality rate.

Probably just another crack pot idea, what do you think.

wonder why he was banned by the BBC ?

Raving nutter, if you ask me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vaccine trials starting mid April, Anti-body tests being tested currently. Couple of bits of good news.

Not doubting it necessarily but really helpful if you can provide sources for these?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not doubting it necessarily but really helpful if you can provide sources for these?

BJ and his two side kicks said it at the latest press conference. Also, experimental drugs are being tried here in the UK. The antibodies tests are being tested to see if they are reliable, if not they may need different ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here