Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A Paywalled article from The Telegraph.

Many more people may have been infected with the coronavirus and acquired immunity than previously thought, according to a groundbreaking study in Germany.

Scientists studying the town at the epicentre of Germany's first major outbreak said they had found antibodies to the virus in people who had shown no symptoms and were not previously thought to have been infected.

The findings suggest the mortality rate for the virus in Germany is just 0.37 per cent — five times lower than current estimates.

Initial results based on around half the tests found 2 per cent of inhabitants are currently infected and 14 per cent had antibodies to the virus.

Allowing for overlap that suggests 15 per cent of people in the town now have immunity — compared to the previous estimate of 5 per cent.

But the study's authors said they were grounds for cautious optimism. An immunity rate of 15 per cent is already enough to slow the spread of the virus significantly, they said in a joint statement.

The study found a mortality rate of 0.37 per cent, compared to Johns Hopkins University’s current estimate for Germany of 1.98 per cent.

“The much lower mortality rate in Gangelt is explained by the fact this study is detecting all infected people, including those with no symptoms or very mild illness,” they said.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Less than a half mile from our front door is a recreation ground with a stream running through it. Last year they took over half the spare rec to landscape a natural flood defence and some filtration ponds.

I took it mainly for granted and saw it three or four times a week on my usual running route however it’s been an absolute god send the last three weeks as we can take our daily walk there.

The best part is this spring ducks have started arriving to congregate and breed and so it would seem nest as when we went yesterday there were seven ducklings happily following their mum around AND two swans.
5c8258aaaaaa9e5c3fa25d7e7865e2df.jpg

This will of course be probably unremarkable to you country folk but for those of us in exile in that there London is something of a miracle and perfect brain food at a time like this. Marvellous.

Love a bit of Crispy Duck, no coincidence that Storrington's Chinese Restaurant is by the Village Pond... :wink:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/10/china-recognise-dogs-pets-not-food-12537407/

China to recognise dogs as pets and not food

China has drawn up a draft policy to reclassify dogs as ‘pets’ rather than ‘food’ in a potential ‘game-changer’ for animal welfare. The country’s government issued a draft list of animals considered fit to be used as livestock on Wednesday night, which included pigs, cows, chickens and sheep. Dogs did not feature on the list, and were later named a ‘special companion animal’ and one not internationally recognised as livestock by the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Affairs. It comes after years of campaigning from animal rights groups, as well as growing public concern over prevention of disease transmission from animals to humans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn't we have a 'lighter side of the virus' thread

In it's absence:-

[tweet]1248617882461696001[/tweet]

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/10/china-recognise-dogs-pets-not-food-12537407/

China to recognise dogs as pets and not food

China has drawn up a draft policy to reclassify dogs as ‘pets’ rather than ‘food’ in a potential ‘game-changer’ for animal welfare. The country’s government issued a draft list of animals considered fit to be used as livestock on Wednesday night, which included pigs, cows, chickens and sheep. Dogs did not feature on the list, and were later named a ‘special companion animal’ and one not internationally recognised as livestock by the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Affairs. It comes after years of campaigning from animal rights groups, as well as growing public concern over prevention of disease transmission from animals to humans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Great news, hopefully they'll move onto old fashioned religeous practices and leave the Rhinos alone.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
REALLY good news..... the " Friends " reunion is on hold for the foreseeable...…

BBC.

"Fans of Friends will have to wait a little longer for the highly anticipated reunion episode as it has been postponed due to the impact of coronavirus on TV production.
The show had been due to launch with the HBO Max streaming service in May, but filming has not been able to take place.

So, it's not all bad !
It is not yet clear when the episode will be filmed. Rumours of a reunion were confirmed by the cast in February."

REALLY good news..... the " Friends " reunion is on hold for the foreseeable...…

BBC.

"Fans of Friends will have to wait a little longer for the highly anticipated reunion episode as it has been postponed due to the impact of coronavirus on TV production.
The show had been due to launch with the HBO Max streaming service in May, but filming has not been able to take place.

So, it's not all bad !
It is not yet clear when the episode will be filmed. Rumours of a reunion were confirmed by the cast in February."

What I really, really want is a "Cheers" reunion - far superior - or at the least to be able to stream it - far as I know only the first season is available and you have to pay for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What I really, really want is a "Cheers" reunion - far superior - or at the least to be able to stream it - far as I know only the first season is available and you have to pay for it.

Downside is that Kirstie Alley is a diehard Republican fruitloop now days.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Spain death toll down again, a significant decrease today to 510, seems to be decreasing at a similar rate to the initial increases at around 10-20%.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wife agrees that the unprecedented noise of me sanding down the window frames would not be fair on the neighbours during lockdown. Plus the dust issue during a respiratory viral pandemic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry I've just realised my Norm interlude has nothing to do with this thread.

You say Cheers

I say Norm.

It's a Pavlov thing.

Anyway sorry again, as you were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here