Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
70k infections reported today…..halved from last Sunday’s number and down almost 40% week on week. Seems at the moment the speed of decline of numbers is as fast, if not faster, than the increase.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
80k infections today vs 140k last Monday, and week on week number down over 41%. Admissions and patients in hospital appear to have plateaued, and are just starting to fall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DT extract

Covid cases are approaching levels lower than when “Plan B” was triggered, with data increasingly showing that Britain is over the worst.

On Sunday, cases fell to 70,924, the lowest since mid-December, before rising to 84,429 on Monday in the usual increase at the start of the week. However, that is a 42 per cent decline since the previous Monday.

If the current trajectory continues, Britain will hit around 50,000 cases by the middle of the week – the same level as when Boris Johnson announced restrictions on Dec 8.

The number of tests coming back positive has also started to fall, from a high of 32.3 per cent on Jan 4 to 26 per cent on Jan 11, showing that it is a true decline rather than a lack of testing capacity as some have claimed. The Office for National Statistics infection survey is also showing falls in recent days.

Data show the number of people requiring mechanical ventilation had dropped to 746 as of Jan 13 – the lowest it has been since Nov 10. The number of patients in hospital with Covid in Britain has declined to 19,345 after peaking at 19,906 on Jan 10.

The figures show that 44 per cent of people in hospital in England are incidental cases, having been admitted for a different reason and tested positive on arrival or shortly afterwards. There are also signs that admissions are levelling off.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ly-lower-plan-b-triggered-figures-show-worst/

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/society...id-absences-fall-signs-staffing-crisis-easing

NHS England Covid absences fall amid signs staffing crisis is easing

NHS England staff absences due to Covid have fallen by 22% on the previous week, figures show, with signs the staffing crisis in the health service may be easing off.

There were more than 35,000 Covid absences on an average day in the week to 16 January, down from almost 46,000 the week before. However, the figures are still significantly higher than absence levels seen before the Omicron surge. At the start of December, there were about 12,000 absences on an average day.

Absences for all reasons including Covid were down by 13% and stand at 77,000 across the NHS.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Alistair Haimes [MENTION=29678]ali[/MENTION]stairHaimes
·
7h
Update to English acute-hospital covid inpatients primarily being treated for covid.

London is particularly interesting: the increase in non-primary cases from early-Dec is far higher than the increase in primary, & only 40% are now primarily being treated for covid

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Alistair Haimes [MENTION=29678]ali[/MENTION]stairHaimes
·
7h
Update to English acute-hospital covid inpatients primarily being treated for covid.

London is particularly interesting: the increase in non-primary cases from early-Dec is far higher than the increase in primary, & only 40% are now primarily being treated for covid

Latest statistics from NHS England showed that in the East Midlands, just 533 (29 per cent) of the 1,817 people included in coronavirus hospital data were being treated primarily for the virus.

Even more elsewhere.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Christopher Snowdon
@cjsnowdon
·
1h
Number of people in hospital with Covid in England is down from 16,537 to 14,865 since last Friday. The number on ventilation is the lowest since July.

Take at least 30% off as incidental as well

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Christopher Snowdon
@cjsnowdon
·
1h
Number of people in hospital with Covid in England is down from 16,537 to 14,865 since last Friday. The number on ventilation is the lowest since July.

Take at least 30% off as incidental as well

The UK as a whole. Numbers are 1/6th of exactly this time last year. Today 9.8/million.

29B30807-25E1-4746-A06C-AB3DC3C86B7A.png

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Covid Fact Check UK
@fact_covid
The number of confirmed COVID patients in ventilator beds in England has dropped to its lowest level since the day before so-called “Freedom Day” last summer.

The total is 521, versus 512 on 18 July. I find this quite remarkable, honestly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Covid Fact Check UK
@fact_covid
The number of confirmed COVID patients in ventilator beds in England has dropped to its lowest level since the day before so-called “Freedom Day” last summer.

The total is 521, versus 512 on 18 July. I find this quite remarkable, honestly.

....it's remarkable - perhaps the strongest argument of all for the severity (or otherwise) of Omicron allied to the success of the vaccines.

As well as that, the numbers in hospital are showing signs of falling at an increasing rate - they have dropped 1,500 in the last 4 days and 2,000 in a week. With admissions flat at worst (and starting to decline) it shows hospital stays are also shortening significantly.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Incidentally I've tested positive myself today - nothing more than a slight sore throat and a sniffle after a headache and slight temperature last night but thought I'd better do an LFT. Now I'm housebound for several days :rolleyes:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
....it's remarkable - perhaps the strongest argument of all for the severity (or otherwise) of Omicron allied to the success of the vaccines.

As well as that, the numbers in hospital are showing signs of falling at an increasing rate - they have dropped 1,500 in the last 4 days and 2,000 in a week. With admissions flat at worst (and starting to decline) it shows hospital stays are also shortening significantly.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Incidentally I've tested positive myself today - nothing more than a slight sore throat and a sniffle after a headache and slight temperature last night but thought I'd better do an LFT. Now I'm housebound for several days :rolleyes:

That’s Omicron. Friends/family described it as a two day moderate cold. Back to normal on the third day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You’re always positive :thumbsup:

Best thing is I slept for about 12 hours last night which I never do, every cloud and all that :D:D

Otherwise, slight temperature on Sunday night when I got back from Leicester, slightly sore throat yesterday (which I initially blamed on Welbeck but OK today) and a bit of a runny nose. Thank goodness for vaccines.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Best thing is I slept for about 12 hours last night which I never do, every cloud and all that :D:D

Otherwise, slight temperature on Sunday night when I got back from Leicester, slightly sore throat yesterday (which I initially blamed on Welbeck but OK today) and a bit of a runny nose. Thank goodness for vaccines.

The Joachim Andersen OG gave me a hoarse throat the rest of that weekend.

(Frank Butcher with laryngitis).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here