Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1480218120467980292[/TWEET]

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not really good news but the Govt have said that positive cases ( me and Mrs) can lease isolation if you test negative with a lateral flow on day 6 and 7

My day 6 is tomorrow.....I have tried to order Lateral Flow tests for 5 days now and none available in my area....so the good news is I am going to have to carry on isolating until day 10 with no symptoms anymore....Hey ho

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Not really good news but the Govt have said that positive cases ( me and Mrs) can lease isolation if you test negative with a lateral flow on day 6 and 7

My day 6 is tomorrow.....I have tried to order Lateral Flow tests for 5 days now and none available in my area....so the good news is I am going to have to carry on isolating until day 10 with no symptoms anymore....Hey ho

I had lateral flow tests, symptoms had ended.
Still got positive LFT on day 6, 7, 8 & 9. Did my 10 days.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Midnight Thursday is my freedom day so hoping to be @ the Palace game..

Did you test on Day 10 or is it considered your not infectious at that time?

That's correct, unless you have certain symptoms, you are released after your 10 days of isolation.

I did produce a negative LFT on release day but it isn't required.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I tested positive on December 25 morning and was still testing positive on January 4. The state government of Indiana said I could return to work despite the results because I wouldn't be infecting anyone anymore.

images

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/09/covid-cases-approach-peak-parts-england-data-show/

Extract :

Covid cases approaching their peak in all parts of England, data show

‘It’s beginning to look quite hopeful’, say experts, as number of people on mechanical ventilators reaches lowest level since October

By
Joe Pinkstone,
SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT
9 January 2022 • 4:58pm
New case numbers are beginning to fall in the South East and the East of England, as well as in London which peaked before Christmas

Covid cases are now falling outside of London, and all parts of England are showing signs of nearing their peak, data show.

Official records show that as of January 8, new case numbers are beginning to fall in the South East and the East of England, as well as in London, which peaked before Christmas.

Cases are still increasing in all other regions, but at a much slower rate than before.

It comes as the number of people on mechanical ventilators in England drops to its lowest level since October despite experts believing there may be around half a million infections a day.

Daily figures for Covid cases, hospitalisations and deaths have been disrupted due to the Christmas period, but are now beginning to return to normal.

Prof Paul Hunter, a professor of medicine at the University of East Anglia and an adviser to the WHO, says people often delay medical appointments over Christmas and schedule them for the new year, leading to a lull at the end of December but a spike in demand in early January.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I've just ordered some online for my parents. They both have it but have run out of tests. My Dad is day 8 today but still positive but that was his last test.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Infection numbers seem to be falling quite steeply now, 13% down week on week and today's 120k compares with over 200k a week ago and is the lowest number since Dec 27th (accepting Xmas/New Year numbers were all over the place, the trend is starting to look clear). Hospital admissions remain quite high but have flattened completely over the last 10 days, and the numbers on ventilators hasn't increased at all in the Omicron wave (remains lower now than in November).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some comparative historical context.

Brighton Sussex University Hospitals:

18 Jan 21
260 inpatients with Covid
66 of whom were in intensive care (all beds taken)

11 Jan 22
53 inpatients with Covid
<5 of whom are in intensive care.

Omicron and the booster programme leave the UK in far more favourable position a year on.

The Argus could do a bit of research eg from their own old editions, but they’re too lazy or in the business of stirring.

B8E04DB4-EDDE-45B4-BA70-693FFE67876F.png

87115132-4BC8-42EF-B0ED-4DD2D5B7400B.png

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

18 Jan 21

11 Jan 22
53 inpatients with Covid

Omicron and the booster programme leave the UK in far more favourable position a year on.

The Argus could do a bit of research eg from their own old editions, but they’re too lazy or in the business of stirring.

View attachment 143679

View attachment 143680

Thank you. Definitely good news.

Argus guilty on both counts

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DT Extract

UK ‘closest in hemisphere’ to exiting the pandemic
Lizzie RobertsHEALTH REPORTER

BRITAIN is the closest of any Northern Hemisphere country to an exit from the pandemic, a leading expert has declared.

Prof David Heymann, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, suggested that the UK was witnessing the virus become endemic.

95pc
The proportion of the English population estimated by the Office for National Statistics to have Covid antibodies

His comments came as France reported 368,149 new coronavirus cases, its highest single-day tally, and the World Health Organisation (WHO) said more than half of Europe’s population will be infected by omicron in the next two months.

Speaking at a Chatham House online briefing, Prof Heymann said: “In general, now, the countries that we know best in the Northern Hemisphere have varying stages of the pandemic.

“Probably, in the UK, it’s the closest to any country to being out of the pandemic if it isn’t already ... and having the disease as endemic as the other four coronaviruses.”

He spoke as Nadhim Zahawi, the Education Secretary, called for the UK to show the world how to transition from pandemic to endemic. “I hope we will be one of the first major economies to demonstrate to the world how you transition from pandemic to endemic, and then deal with this, however long it remains with us, whether that’s five, six, seven, 10 years,” Mr Zahawi said.

Prof Heymann, former assistant director-general for health security and environment at the WHO, said that population immunity was already high.

He added that it “seems to be keeping the virus and its variants at bay” and preventing serious illness or death.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Infection numbers seem to be falling quite steeply now, 13% down week on week and today's 120k compares with over 200k a week ago and is the lowest number since Dec 27th (accepting Xmas/New Year numbers were all over the place, the trend is starting to look clear). Hospital admissions remain quite high but have flattened completely over the last 10 days, and the numbers on ventilators hasn't increased at all in the Omicron wave (remains lower now than in November).

Sorry if wrong thread, but I do think the good news needs to be fact checked - am I right in thinking the new cases doesn't include reinfections so are close to being meaningless?
My daughters class now has several cases but they've all had it before...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry if wrong thread, but I do think the good news needs to be fact checked - am I right in thinking the new cases doesn't include reinfections so are close to being meaningless?
My daughters class now has several cases but they've all had it before...

Probably wrong thread, yes, but only here to show the trend. I and many others have been saying for months that focus should be on admissions and deaths as measures. There is still some relevance of (published) infection numbers though as there remains a link to admissions in particular and we are (or, increasingly perhaps ‘were’) at risk of the absolute numbers becoming unmanageable - reason for putting them out now on here is the trend appears steadfastly down, and within a short time we should see the admissions following. The numbers are from the ONS so not sure how you’d like them ‘fact checked’

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

18 Jan 21

11 Jan 22
53 inpatients with Covid

———————-

Sadly The Argus doesn’t deserve yours, or anyone else’s, consideration as a serious publication at the moment.
The editors seem distracted by trying to keep up with current ways of presenting news (social media, video etc). But really, nothing has changed - people want information that is reliable, relevant and accurate.
No-one should celebrate the downfall of The Argus though. It is in everyone’s interests for it to improve as local media has a crucial role to play in keeping the authorities in check.
We should demand that they do better

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

18 Jan 21

11 Jan 22
53 inpatients with Covid

———————-

Sadly The Argus doesn’t deserve yours, or anyone else’s, consideration as a serious publication at the moment.
The editors seem distracted by trying to keep up with current ways of presenting news (social media, video etc). But really, nothing has changed - people want information that is reliable, relevant and accurate.
No-one should celebrate the downfall of The Argus though. It is in everyone’s interests for it to improve as local media has a crucial role to play in keeping the authorities in check.
We should demand that they do better

Until then, it's the local Daily Mail/Mirror. Only interested in inflaming readers and the clickbait war in the comments sections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here