Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59840524

A booster vaccine is 88% effective at preventing people ending up in hospital with Covid-19, new data from the UK Health Security Agency suggests.

The new data confirms that two doses of the AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna vaccines offers little protection against being infected with Omicron.

But protection against severe disease appears to be holding up much better against the new variant.
Health officials said this reinforces the importance of getting a third dose.

The health secretary Sajid Javid said: "This is more promising data which reinforces just how important vaccines are. They save lives and prevent serious illness.

"This analysis shows you are up to eight times more likely to end up in hospital as a result of Covid-19 if you are unvaccinated."

The UKHSA analysed more than 600,000 confirmed and suspected cases of the Omicron variant up to 29 December in England.

It found that a single vaccine dose reduced the risk of needing hospital treatment by 52%. Adding the second dose increased the protection to 72%, although after 25 weeks that protection had faded to 52%.

And two weeks after getting a third dose, that protection against hospitalisation was boosted to 88%.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59840524

A booster vaccine is 88% effective at preventing people ending up in hospital with Covid-19, new data from the UK Health Security Agency suggests.

The new data confirms that two doses of the AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna vaccines offers little protection against being infected with Omicron.

But protection against severe disease appears to be holding up much better against the new variant.
Health officials said this reinforces the importance of getting a third dose.

The health secretary Sajid Javid said: "This is more promising data which reinforces just how important vaccines are. They save lives and prevent serious illness.

"This analysis shows you are up to eight times more likely to end up in hospital as a result of Covid-19 if you are unvaccinated."

The UKHSA analysed more than 600,000 confirmed and suspected cases of the Omicron variant up to 29 December in England.

It found that a single vaccine dose reduced the risk of needing hospital treatment by 52%. Adding the second dose increased the protection to 72%, although after 25 weeks that protection had faded to 52%.

And two weeks after getting a third dose, that protection against hospitalisation was boosted to 88%.

To back this up only 5 people in ICU with covid in Hastings/Eastbourne Trust

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
3.7 million people had Covid in the week up to NYE in the UK. That is insane. With those case numbers this time last year, hundreds of thousands would have been dying a week, surely?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Probably because so many people were testing religiously before seeing people, which is good news in itself as it's showing people are prepared to test themselves before meeting others which should help slow the spread

Roland

Banned
Sep 29, 2021
3.7 million people had Covid in the week up to NYE in the UK. That is insane. With those case numbers this time last year, hundreds of thousands would have been dying a week, surely?

Indeed. Shows that this thing is more or less going to fade out. At these rates the whole country will have had it in the next few months.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yep.

8B9B4F38-3D8D-498A-AE49-57E801ECEFDD.png

With the true divergence between case and death numbers being greater than this. Cambridge Uni statistician Prof David Spiegelhalter said tonight on Sky that true UK case numbers for Omicron are likely to be 2.5x the numbers picked up by testing, previously 2x the numbers picked up for early variants.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting to see how large the rise in incidental covid admissions was in London (three times as high a proportion as in mid-November, at peak) & also the way it has now dropped back. Also interesting to see how much systematically lower London tends to be than England overall.
Andrew Lilico [MENTION=11994]Andrew[/MENTION]_lilico
·
21m
Source: https://england.nhs.uk/statistics/w...01/Primary-Diagnosis-Supplement-20220106.xlsx
·
12m
If we bear in mind a baseline of delta hospitalisations, it's probably reasonable to say, from the graph above, that about half of omicron patients in hospital in London weren't there primarily because of omicron.

Whilst not 100% good news, it shows it is milder/vaccines work

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Interesting to see how large the rise in incidental covid admissions was in London (three times as high a proportion as in mid-November, at peak) & also the way it has now dropped back. Also interesting to see how much systematically lower London tends to be than England overall.
·
21m
Source: https://england.nhs.uk/statistics/w...01/Primary-Diagnosis-Supplement-20220106.xlsx
·
12m
If we bear in mind a baseline of delta hospitalisations, it's probably reasonable to say, from the graph above, that about half of omicron patients in hospital in London weren't there primarily because of omicron.

Whilst not 100% good news, it shows it is milder/vaccines work

Also London seems to be the bellweather for the rest of the UK as it seems to be ahead of the curve re Omicron, so it is hoped any stalling and downturn there will soon be replicated elsewhere.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It would be very helpful if they would publish the number of patients in hospital BECAUSE of Covid alongside those with covid.
If I go in with a broken leg and happen to have Covid I am currently in hospital with covid- which whilst technically correct its not the whole picture

It would seem anecdotally at least that a sizeable % aren't in hospital because of the virus, and even if it were only a few % it would impact the figures quite a bit

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It would be very helpful if they would publish the number of patients in hospital BECAUSE of Covid alongside those with covid.
If I go in with a broken leg and happen to have Covid I am currently in hospital with covid- which whilst technically correct its not the whole picture

It would seem anecdotally at least that a sizeable % aren't in hospital because of the virus, and even if it were only a few % it would impact the figures quite a bit

Perhaps an interesting discussion fit the covid forum :)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

I've replied to this on the general covid forum because we can have a more thorough discussion on there. But I think what I've posted is good news, even if it does involve bandying about statistics on death and illness that are so easy to impersonalize.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Using the very large sample size of 5.5m population Scotland, there are just 60% in hospital “with Covid” right now are primarily for Covid. This %age is significantly down on previous waves.

I’ll screenshot the article which directly quotes Public Health Scotland and put it on the main Covid thread, as it’s behind a paywall.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here