Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Put this in the main thread but probably worth repeating here…..

From the DT…..Professor DoomandGloom not so downbeat today…….

Britain may be “better off” with omicron than it was with the delta variant, thanks to the booster programme, Prof Chris Whitty has suggested.

Giving evidence at the Health and Social Care Select Committee, the Chief Medical Officer for England said that vaccines appeared to be holding up well against omicron and said boosters may even be preventing transmissibility and infection.

Prof Whitty said that under a worst case scenario, Britain would see similar figures to the January wave, when the alpha strain was dominant.

But he said there could be a more hopeful outcome.

“It is possible that with a boost, we’re better off with omicron than we are with two vaccines with delta for severe disease,” he told MPs.

“I don’t think that’s likely for infection, but we honestly don’t know the range of possibilities is really quite wide. And that’s why it’s very difficult to make definitive views about where the NHS is going to end up in the next few weeks.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-chris-whitty/

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is the difference between Omicron & Delta in my non-scientific opinion:

16th Dec figures:
97% Omicron - South Africa: Infections 24k, deaths 34.
90%+ Delta - Poland: Infections 22k, deaths 592.

Delta is absolutely lethal.

The sooner we are at 97% Omicron in this Country, the better. Hopefully the mass Omicron infections we are seeing can help.

Unless we manage to completely uncouple in hospital with and from we will have a problem if everyone has it

But that’s for another thread

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
9 out of 10 people in hospital with Covid are unvaccinated. Proves that vaccines are really helping.

Downside is that these people are taking up hospital beds they probably wouldn't have needed if they had been vaccinated.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
This is the difference between Omicron & Delta in my non-scientific opinion:

16th Dec figures:
97% Omicron - South Africa: Infections 24k, deaths 34.
90%+ Delta - Poland: Infections 22k, deaths 592.

Delta is absolutely lethal.

The sooner we are at 97% Omicron in this Country, the better. Hopefully the mass Omicron infections we are seeing can help.

A couple of things worth noting on this, as making sense of the relationships between cases and deaths is a little trickier than it looks at first glance. First off, it should be expected that like-for-like case:death ratios to be lower for Omicron because it spreads more quickly, so infections in South Africa would have been a fair bit lower three weeks ago than they would have been in Poland.

However, and stick with me because I know what thread this is; even if you factor that in, all of the data I've looked at (and I'm a saddo so I've looked at quite a bit), Omicron appears to be between 5 and 6 times less lethal than Delta.

There's more though. The fact that we are still seeing death figures in South Africa so low several weeks after its official discovery is hugely encouraging. South Africa does not have the testing regimen that we do in the UK, so they're going to be picking up far fewer cases 'in the wild', especially if cases are milder with Omicron.

They will however be getting picked up when people arrive in hospital. However, with the virus becoming so prevalent and so many people having it at the same time, the number of incidental cases (e.g. people coming into hospitals and / or dying) because of heart attacks, car accidents and so on is going to be substantially higher than we've previously seen. So if we're seeing 30 Covid deaths in South Africa currently, it's reasonable to assume that many of these are either Delta or something completely unrelated.

Keep in mind this does mean that in time we will begin to see some slightly scary figures in terms of cases and deaths in South Africa, the UK and around the world. However, by the time that happens I honestly, firmly believe it will have been concluded that Omicron is a far, far less lethal virus than its predecessors.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A couple of things worth noting on this, as making sense of the relationships between cases and deaths is a little trickier than it looks at first glance. First off, it should be expected that like-for-like case:death ratios to be lower for Omicron because it spreads more quickly, so infections in South Africa would have been a fair bit lower three weeks ago than they would have been in Poland.

However, and stick with me because I know what thread this is; even if you factor that in, all of the data I've looked at (and I'm a saddo so I've looked at quite a bit), Omicron appears to be between 5 and 6 times less lethal than Delta.

There's more though. The fact that we are still seeing death figures in South Africa so low several weeks after its official discovery is hugely encouraging. South Africa does not have the testing regimen that we do in the UK, so they're going to be picking up far fewer cases 'in the wild', especially if cases are milder with Omicron.

They will however be getting picked up when people arrive in hospital. However, with the virus becoming so prevalent and so many people having it at the same time, the number of incidental cases (e.g. people coming into hospitals and / or dying) because of heart attacks, car accidents and so on is going to be substantially higher than we've previously seen. So if we're seeing 30 Covid deaths in South Africa currently, it's reasonable to assume that many of these are either Delta or something completely unrelated.

Keep in mind this does mean that in time we will begin to see some slightly scary figures in terms of cases and deaths in South Africa, the UK and around the world. However, by the time that happens I honestly, firmly believe it will have been concluded that Omicron is a far, far less lethal virus than its predecessors.

Yep, saw some data this morning…….can’t find it atm but it cited an example of someone going into hospital with a broken ankle that tested positive 3.5 weeks ago. They’re statistically in hospital with Covid.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
9 out of 10 people in hospital with Covid are unvaccinated. Proves that vaccines are really helping.

Downside is that these people are taking up hospital beds they probably wouldn't have needed if they had been vaccinated.

Where's that stat from? I've heard it was more like 50/50, but that when you take into account that >90% of the most at-risk demographics are fully vaxed then it still demonstrates the effectiveness.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Whilst its far from complete data as only from one country, but the case is building we should be back tracking on restrictions shortly and Wales have completely over reacted.

Accounts now pouring out of South Africa backing up the plummeting of hospitalisation and death rates with Omicron. For all the doom and gloom, this could yet to turn out to be very positive.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-hospitalizations-in-omicron-wave-much-lower

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...c-as-omicron-case-numbers-pass-peak-hrmk9t23g

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...es-fewer-hospitalisations-omicron-surges-say/

Yoda

English & European
Early indications that hospitalisations already falling in South Africa (also bear in mind a good portion would be incidental cases being admitted).

Week 45: 573
Week 46: 709
Week 47: 1432
Week 48: 3945
Week 49: 7363
Week 50: 5595

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Can I get a booster at a walk-in site without an NHS number? I have the EU vaccine cert to show I had my second dose in June.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports