[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
More evidence that it's milder. Quote from the Telegraph

The symptoms of the omicron variant have been reported to Zoe, and the indications are that unlike in the first wave, the indicative signs of infections are more similar to the common cold.

Prof Spector said: "The majority of symptoms are just like a common cold, so we're talking about headaches, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, and things like sneezing.

"So, things like fever and cough and loss of smell are now actually in the minority of the symptoms that we're seeing."

When the omicron mutation was first recorded in the UK, there were warnings that one in four common colds could be Covid.

Now, in places like London where the new strain is dominant, "it's far more likely to be Covid than a cold", Prof Spector warned.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There are only 14 people in hospital with Omicron. 14

Out of a predicted 200k cases

While confirmed cases of the variant are being tracked through genomic testing, the number of Omicron infections across the country is estimated to be far higher – at an estimated 200,000 daily infections on Monday – due to a time lag and because many cases are never picked up by the testing programme.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are only 14 people in hospital with Omicron. 14

Whilst the government are using Omicron to scare people into getting a booster, it’s very important to note that Delta is out of control still and has currently has 7,000+ in hospital, dozens more are being hospitalised everyday and this strain is still killing over 800 per week.

Delta is everywhere, be very cautious folks. But if Omicron can help wipe Delta out (like it did in South Africa) the future is not quite as bleak as headlines would suggest.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Javid said on Monday that there were estimated 200,000 infections of Omicron, being 20% of covid infections. That would put infections at 1m a day - so the growth of the other 800,000 would be Delta - which doesnt seem right

I would love to know how this figure was derived

But, so far only 14 Omicron deaths is good news

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Out of a predicted 200k cases

While confirmed cases of the variant are being tracked through genomic testing, the number of Omicron infections across the country is estimated to be far higher – at an estimated 200,000 daily infections on Monday – due to a time lag and because many cases are never picked up by the testing programme.

Where's that estimate from?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Javid said on Monday that there were estimated 200,000 infections of Omicron, being 20% of covid infections. That would put infections at 1m a day - so the growth of the other 800,000 would be Delta - which doesnt seem right

I would love to know how this figure was derived

But, so far only 14 Omicron deaths is good news

Sage etc

Javid announced a couple of days ago.

Found the basis of Javid's quote. It's a very broad guestimate verging on Diane-Abbott maths.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...envelope-sum-not-a-definitive-number-12495814

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you for that

My daughter could have come up with that. The end parts says it all - cumulative effect is 55m people in England would have been infected by 25th December. Ridiculous. Takes no account of mitigation since beginning of December of wearing Masks, WFH and peoples behavioral change

Im all for good public health message, but it has to be proportionate. This does nobody any favours

Found the basis of Javid's quote. It's a very broad guestimate verging on Diane-Abbott maths.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...envelope-sum-not-a-definitive-number-12495814

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I agree.

But if that’s the numbers you are claiming we should compare the hospital numbers to it.

Yes, hospitalisation ratios are still encouraging even if you apply some more realistic modelling to growth and number of known cases. Although with a note of caution to account for the lag in infection progressing to severe symptoms being several days.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was one of them. Haven't had a cold in 2 years. Then succumbed to a bad cold the day before my mother in law funeral.

Thankfully 2 different lateral flow tests and a PCR came back negative.

I know several people that have (very) bad colds at the moment, but have tested negative………may be irrelevant but who knows with this thing :shrug:

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports