Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
More proof boosters work:

Update from my wife's booster she had in the trial back in June. Her bloods still shows excellent resistance. Unfortunately the booster she had has been discontinued as that company have moved onto another better vaccine. The Moderna and Pfizer have shown ever better results on the trial subjects.

Means she will now have another booster in the new year as the one she has won't be recognised in the NHS passport app so will need to have one that is.

Her blood, along with the other 2,000 who took part in the trial is currently at Porton Down seeing how it fights the Omicron, which is quite exciting.

Excellent news, sounds like once she's had her booster Covid should be more worried about coming into contact with her!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

on the face of it, this is really good news and as such should (but wont) be prominent over the news media.

From my understanding, this is exactly what we want, a more transmissible variant with a much reduced negative outcomes, so as to become the dominant strain thus pushing out the more serious ones.

This is what has happened in past pandemics I believe, in order to survive, the virus mutates and becomes more "friendly" and eventually becomes the common cold, or mild flu

If this data from South Africa is repeated we may find ourselves in a much better position in a months time than if the variant hadn't appeared in the first place

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Was thinking about getting her a Marvel costume for Christmas, but apparently that would only be for my benefit :lolol:

Depends which one out of this lot you find the biggest turn on I suppose...! :blush::kiss::lolol:

marvel-universe-i31869.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
on the face of it, this is really good news and as such should (but wont) be prominent over the news media.

From my understanding, this is exactly what we want, a more transmissible variant with a much reduced negative outcomes, so as to become the dominant strain thus pushing out the more serious ones.

This is what has happened in past pandemics I believe, in order to survive, the virus mutates and becomes more "friendly" and eventually becomes the common cold, or mild flu

If this data from South Africa is repeated we may find ourselves in a much better position in a months time than if the variant hadn't appeared in the first place

Ish. Whilst respecting the GNT, I'd encourage everyone to read John Burn-Murdoch's new thread crunching the numbers coming out of South Africa.

First tweet here - expand to read the full sequence.

[tweet]1469338725658341381[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ish. Whilst respecting the GNT, I'd encourage everyone to read John Burn-Murdoch's new thread crunching the numbers coming out of South Africa.

Early days, but interesting.

With the usual caveats that they have a different demographic and vaccinations profile to say western Europe.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think he's splitting hairs about the reasons for the milder infections. IMHO it makes no difference if its caused by people having immunity rather than it genuinely being milder. The outcome is the same, it's a fact in this country that almost everyone has some immunity from vaccination or prior infection.

All the indicators are that it will send a smaller proportion of people to hospital. Nobody knows what that proportion is yet, I still don't see any reason to hit the panic button without any actual evidence.

*Edit* Sorry, I'm a bit tired and hungover after the cricket, didn't actually realise this was the good news thread

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
New daily record for boosters

530,086 booster vaccinations in Flag of United Kingdom exc Wales yesterday (448,975 the previous Friday)

Flag of England 483,361
Flag of Scotland 40,144
NI 6,581

The daily average is now above 400k for the first time.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
In spite of news reports to the contrary, and despite not being built to cope with 1,000,00+ bookings per day,the NHS booking system managed to stay up. The reason people struggled to access it was that they put a throttle on it to prevent it collapsing. Some great work by the support staff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More encouraging news coming out on the SA numbers………

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...on-covid-outbreaks-may-already-running-steam/

Extract

Omicron outbreaks in South African hotspots may be running out of steam less than three weeks after the new variant was identified, data suggests.

Cases in the province of Gauteng – which had surging infections from November – appear to be levelling off, while seven-day infections in Tshwane, one of the early epicentres, are now "relatively flat".

Although recent days have brought large spikes after a computer update led to an extra 37,875 cases being included in the daily count, experts have pointed out that the increases are far shallower once averaged by specimen date.

Louis Rossouw, of the Covid-19 Actuaries Response Group in South Africa, said that although the country had surpassed the peak of previous waves some areas were beginning to see a lull.

"Case growth is steeper than last week but still has slowed down versus November," he said. "In Gauteng, cases are still levelling off. Tshwane cases are relatively flat, with a slight increase in the most recent days."

Statisticians in South Africa have also noted that the case fatality rate – the percentage of people who go on to die from an infection – has fallen considerably since the arrival of omicron.

With the delta variant, around three per cent of infections – one in 33 – were resulting in death, but now that figure has slumped to 0.5 per cent – one in 200 – the lowest it has been throughout the pandemic in South Africa and 10 times lower than in September last year.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
More encouraging news coming out on the SA numbers………

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...on-covid-outbreaks-may-already-running-steam/

Extract

Omicron outbreaks in South African hotspots may be running out of steam less than three weeks after the new variant was identified, data suggests.

Cases in the province of Gauteng – which had surging infections from November – appear to be levelling off, while seven-day infections in Tshwane, one of the early epicentres, are now "relatively flat".

Although recent days have brought large spikes after a computer update led to an extra 37,875 cases being included in the daily count, experts have pointed out that the increases are far shallower once averaged by specimen date.

Louis Rossouw, of the Covid-19 Actuaries Response Group in South Africa, said that although the country had surpassed the peak of previous waves some areas were beginning to see a lull.

"Case growth is steeper than last week but still has slowed down versus November," he said. "In Gauteng, cases are still levelling off. Tshwane cases are relatively flat, with a slight increase in the most recent days."

Statisticians in South Africa have also noted that the case fatality rate – the percentage of people who go on to die from an infection – has fallen considerably since the arrival of omicron.

With the delta variant, around three per cent of infections – one in 33 – were resulting in death, but now that figure has slumped to 0.5 per cent – one in 200 – the lowest it has been throughout the pandemic in South Africa and 10 times lower than in September last year.

It seems quite a few are only noticing they are positive is when they have to test to go into hospital or do something else

Which hopefully backs up it’s mild

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just 11 people died from Covid in South Africa yesterday. That is an astonishingly low number for the amount of infections they are getting, mind blowing. Surely the best way to get rid of Delta is not only vaccines (although we must all get them if we want to join the fight against Covid), it’s not only wearing masks, it’s not only going into lockdown, it’s letting nature take it’s course by having Delta replaced by a much, much weaker strain. We all hope that strain is Omicron. Time is already telling.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
The problem with Omicron is not it’s potency but it’s ability to spread. If your over 50 and get the new strain you are more likely to be hospitalised as your body in general is weaker than a 25 year old. That fact will massively affect our (NHS)’s ability to cope at this time. Unfortunately, in my job I have seen many people pass away with covid RELATED illness.
If Omicron puts more people in hospital the fatalities could be higher simply due to the quantity of inpatients and our inability to treat them and other patients effectively,

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The problem with Omicron is not it’s potency but it’s ability to spread. If your over 50 and get the new strain you are more likely to be hospitalised as your body in general is weaker than a 25 year old. That fact will massively affect our (NHS)’s ability to cope at this time. Unfortunately, in my job I have seen many people pass away with covid RELATED illness.
If Omicron puts more people in hospital the fatalities could be higher simply due to the quantity of inpatients and our inability to treat them and other patients effectively,

Um, this is the Good News thread. Have you accidentally found yourself here?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BREAKING: Discovery, South Africa's largest health insurer, releases study results that show those who have had two doses of Pfizer vaccine are 70% less likely to be hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated.

Vaccine holds up well before the booster.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
BREAKING: Discovery, South Africa's largest health insurer, releases study results that show those who have had two doses of Pfizer vaccine are 70% less likely to be hospitalized compared to the unvaccinated.

Vaccine holds up well before the booster.

There is hope that the figures for SA mortality regarding the recent surge are indicative of lower CFR as the lag between identifying the disease and passing away due to it, is lower than here in England - being only 11 days.

This strengthens the growing evidence that the variant Omicron is either milder or that it is more easily dealt with by those who have prior infection or vaccination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here