Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I got a positive test on Sunday. A lot of sneezing and a cold on the Saturday, but that had more or less gone by yesterday. These are the symptoms associated with Omicron. Another is fatigue, which is translating into me sleeping well. Which happened irregularly beforehand.

Most of the above applies to me too; Saturday-to-yesterday sniffles, sneezes, sore throat and a dry cough, having tested positive on Sunday. Also slept like a log the last 3 nights. Today, the symptoms have virtually gone, apart from feeling a bit tired still.

Counting my blessings.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
More good news with mounting evidence for lower hospitalisation rates for Omicron. Note the author accidentally used CFR instead of CHR in the first tweet.

[Tweet]1473098204036091912[/tweet]

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Most of the above applies to me too; Saturday-to-yesterday sniffles, sneezes, sore throat and a dry cough, having tested positive on Sunday. Also slept like a log the last 3 nights. Today, the symptoms have virtually gone, apart from feeling a bit tired still.

Counting my blessings.

I've still got a slight fuzziness in the head (which might be psychosomatic), and the remnants of a cold.
All of this is good news for my employer (and I suspect that I contracted the virus at work), because I'm still working because there's little else to do especially given I can't go out and have to inhabit separate zones at home, and that I'll continue this self-isolation over the Christmas period -- rather than it occurring earlier which would have meant that I'd be signed off work.

So, counting my employer's blessings.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
More evidence for reduced severity of Omicron in a population that has widely had previous infection. This shows 70% reduction in severe disease compared to Delta.

[Tweet]1473380118475145216[/tweet]

Jul 7, 2003
Presumably both vaccinated? If so, it shows also that vaccines protect against serious illness, hospitalization and death.

The flip side is that our countries are being held hostage by the unvaccinated

Yep, both double jabbed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Darkest days could be behind us as data hint that omicron cases may have peaked
From the DT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ld-drop-hospital-admissions-lead-us-omicrons/

With Winter Solstice out of the way, latest Covid statistics show signs of a slowdown, and some experts believe lockdown will not be needed

Tuesday was the Winter Solstice, our darkest day and longest night, before the sun begins its slow ascent higher into the sky again.

So it seems fitting that the latest coronavirus data is also starting to show a glimmer of light. After weeks of relentless growth, the first signs of a slowdown have begun, with some experts speculating that England may even have peaked.

Although admissions are still rising, cases in Britain have been largely unchanged for about six days, with 90,629 reported on Tuesday, a fall of 1,115 from the previous day. Case rates are also reassuringly low in areas with high vaccination, suggesting that vaccines and boosters are holding up well against omicron. It is still too early to be sure, but here is what the latest data is telling us.

Hospital-case ratio :

The number of people ending up in hospital after testing positive for Covid has fallen to one of the lowest points in the entire pandemic, with just 1.95 per cent being admitted. The only time it was lower was when it hit 1.8 for a day in mid-July. Last December, it was as high as 12 per cent.

This decoupling of cases from admissions could be due to a number of factors, including omicron being less severe, better immunity from vaccination and prior infection, or a younger age group being infected. However, it means we can expect far fewer hospitlisations and deaths than previous waves unless case numbers skyrocket.

Applying the ratio to case numbers up to December 14, and allowing for a 10-day lag, it suggests that we might expect about 1,200 admissions in Britain by Christmas, well below the January peak of 4,000.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Darkest days could be behind us as data hint that omicron cases may have peaked
From the DT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ld-drop-hospital-admissions-lead-us-omicrons/

With Winter Solstice out of the way, latest Covid statistics show signs of a slowdown, and some experts believe lockdown will not be needed

Tuesday was the Winter Solstice, our darkest day and longest night, before the sun begins its slow ascent higher into the sky again.

So it seems fitting that the latest coronavirus data is also starting to show a glimmer of light. After weeks of relentless growth, the first signs of a slowdown have begun, with some experts speculating that England may even have peaked.

Although admissions are still rising, cases in Britain have been largely unchanged for about six days, with 90,629 reported on Tuesday, a fall of 1,115 from the previous day. Case rates are also reassuringly low in areas with high vaccination, suggesting that vaccines and boosters are holding up well against omicron. It is still too early to be sure, but here is what the latest data is telling us.

Hospital-case ratio :

The number of people ending up in hospital after testing positive for Covid has fallen to one of the lowest points in the entire pandemic, with just 1.95 per cent being admitted. The only time it was lower was when it hit 1.8 for a day in mid-July. Last December, it was as high as 12 per cent.

This decoupling of cases from admissions could be due to a number of factors, including omicron being less severe, better immunity from vaccination and prior infection, or a younger age group being infected. However, it means we can expect far fewer hospitlisations and deaths than previous waves unless case numbers skyrocket.

Applying the ratio to case numbers up to December 14, and allowing for a 10-day lag, it suggests that we might expect about 1,200 admissions in Britain by Christmas, well below the January peak of 4,000.

I is running same sort of story

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Peter Donaghy [MENTION=3545]Peter[/MENTION]donaghy
There were 13,558 COVID-19 cases reported in Denmark today, a record high. However, the number of patients in hospital fell to 554, from 581 the previous day. Inpatients as a % of 30 day cases has fallen to 0.29%, the lowest I've seen anywhere since the start of the pandemic.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
South Africa’s noticeable drop in new Covid cases in recent days may signal that the country’s dramatic Omicron-driven surge has passed its peak, medical experts say.

Daily virus case counts are notoriously unreliable, as they can be affected by uneven testing, reporting delays and other fluctuations. But they are offering one hint — far from conclusive yet — that omicron infections may recede quickly after a ferocious spike. The Reuters news agency reported:

South Africa has been at the forefront of the omicron wave and the world is watching for any signs of how it may play out there to try to understand what may be in store.

After hitting a high of nearly 27,000 new cases nationwide on Thursday, the numbers dropped to about 15,424 on Tuesday. In Gauteng province — South Africa’s most populous with 16 million people, including the largest city, Johannesburg, and the capital, Pretoria — the decrease started earlier and has continued.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

Something that hasn't been reported is the significant increase in the amount of daily tests being done.

A couple of weeks ago when the daily cases ranged 45k - 50k the amount of tests were always around the 1m mark, so a positivity rate of around 5%.

All of a sudden the cases shot up to 90k but so did the daily tests which are now regularly over 1.5m. Yesterday we had 91,743 cases and 1,468,502 tests, a positivity rate of around 6.25%.

I suspect if you did that amount of tests in any country you'd get at least the same amount of positive tests.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Something that hasn't been reported is the significant increase in the amount of daily tests being done.

A couple of weeks ago when the daily cases ranged 45k - 50k the amount of tests were always around the 1m mark, so a positivity rate of around 5%.

All of a sudden the cases shot up to 90k but so did the daily tests which are now regularly over 1.5m. Yesterday we had 91,743 cases and 1,468,502 tests, a positivity rate of around 6.25%.

I suspect if you did that amount of tests in any country you'd get at least the same amount of positive tests.

Yep - it has been mentioned on the main thread quite a bit.......the 'case numbers' aren't overly key other than an indication of what's happening - have to focus on the hospitalisations (and deaths) as the correlation from infection to hospitalisation is completely different now to earlier in the pandemic.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Got an email Monday from the NHS updating me on extra steps for the clinically extremely vulnerable. Received a PCR test out by mail this morning for use if I get symptoms/ test positive on a LFT.

One of the Cystic Fibrosis nurses just called to make sure I'd received it and to let me know that the new medication is the absolute dogs bollocks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
datatosee.com
@dontbetyet
·
54m
The percentage of patients in mechanically ventilated beds in London is now at its lowest ever level.

Last winter it took 11 days from admissions rising to ICU levels to rise.

This winter we are now on day 13 and still falling.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Got an email Monday from the NHS updating me on extra steps for the clinically extremely vulnerable. Received a PCR test out by mail this morning for use if I get symptoms/ test positive on a LFT.

One of the Cystic Fibrosis nurses just called to make sure I'd received it and to let me know that the new medication is the absolute dogs bollocks.

My wife has had the same today, some positive news at last...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Study suggests Omicron cuts hospitalisation risk by two-thirds, compared to Delta. This pretty much aligns with everything we’ve seen out of South Africa so far. Presumably those going into hospital are also less sick and therefore less likely to die, so the compound effect on deaths should be huge, hopefully.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-ri...n-with-delta-scotland-study-suggests-12502277

The daily transmission/death rate figures of different Countries backs this up.

UK(Mostly Omicron), Infections = 106,122 Deaths = 140, 0.13% infections/daily deaths*
Poland (Mostly Delta), Infections = 18,021, Deaths = 775* infections/daily deaths 4.3%*

Delta is still absolutely deadly. Vaccines are failing against it. Perhaps you need a milder and transmissible strain to drive it out of town?

I hope that Omicron infection means that any subsequent Deadly Delta infection is a lot less severe.

*I realise that testing capacity, data interpretation differences and vaccination rates are affecting these figures significantly but they are still stark.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The daily transmission/death rate figures of different Countries backs this up.

UK(Mostly Omicron), Infections = 106,122 Deaths = 140, 0.13% infections/daily deaths*
Poland (Mostly Delta), Infections = 18,021, Deaths = 775* infections/daily deaths 4.3%*

Delta is still absolutely deadly. Vaccines are failing against it. Perhaps you need a milder and transmissible strain to drive it out of town?

I hope that Omicron infection means that any subsequent Deadly Delta infection is a lot less severe.

*I realise that testing capacity, data interpretation differences and vaccination rates are affecting these figures significantly but they are still stark.

Did you see the booster data v Delta? 99.8% protection

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here