Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It may help any travel plans. Some countries have already announced that will refuse unrestricted entry to those whose last jab was greater than 270 days ago, more countries expected to follow. If someone does travel anyway, 10 days spent in enforced hotel quarantine.

Aye, although I think the whole thing is about to collapse in some countries, they cant cope....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aye, although I think the whole thing is about to collapse in some countries, they cant cope....

…. other than relentless Biden, obsessed with keeping out Europeans including Brits.

Mocked on LBC today, where they pointed out the high covid metrics across much of the US, yet Biden allows Yanks to travel unhindered to ‘stinky’ Europe and then re-enter the US with no consequences.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
…. other than relentless Biden, obsessed with keeping Europeans including Brits.

Mocked on LBC today, where they pointed out the high covid metrics across much of the US, yet Biden allows Yanks to travel unhindered to ‘stinky’ Europe and then re-enter the US with no consequences.

Biden has forgotten he shut the border I iamgine, I imagine he will wait to announce it when trying to bury more bad news.

I imagine it wont be till April now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not necessarily supporting triumphalism, but in answer to your question (and trying to lever this discussion back onto good news):

Because it's not just 'their problem'. As outlined a few posts ago, the vaccines work, and continue to work, by preventing a farly high percentage of infections in the first place. Thus preventing further, faster, transmission. So getting the jab helps reduce risk to others. Even where infections do happen, the disease will be less severe, thus placing less strain on the NHS and helping protect others.

So yeah, we care if others choose not to get jabbed themselves and get ill, because it means they've increased risk to others around them (I would never force anyone against their will..but I do still care). And we care even more if they actively promote anti-vax propoganda to pursuade others not to get jabbed.

As infections are clearly dropping again, it's worth noting that the likelihood is that there will be another further rise, or at least a reduced speed of fall, soon, as the schools return begins to have an impact (in England). That is already showing up in the Zoe App data. But what seems to be clear now is that while there will be further rises and falls in infection rates, the high % of vaccinated population is making living without (most) restrictions manageable without things getting out of hand. Get those booster jabs rolled out and we should see a largely restriction free winter.

Getting vaccinated is to protect yourself. The difference it makes to others is marginal in comparison. I'm standing next to an unvaccinated person, I'm double jabbed. Who is at increased risk in that situation?

It's just a way for people to raise their own self esteem by saying "look at me, I help others".

A separate point, you mention anti vax sentiment, yes anyone spreading it or protesting outside clinics is a stain on society.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Getting vaccinated is to protect yourself. The difference it makes to others is marginal in comparison. I'm standing next to an unvaccinated person, I'm double jabbed. Who is at increased risk in that situation?

It's just a way for people to raise their own self esteem by saying "look at me, I help others".

A separate point, you mention anti vax sentiment, yes anyone spreading it or protesting outside clinics is a stain on society.

Plenty of other threads for that

edit- moved discussion elsewhere

Thank you.

I'd rather close this thread than spend time repeatedly moderating it. I've discussed with Bozza and while it remains open for now it'll either get locked or merged if it continually goes off topic.

There must be at least three other vaccine threads.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Plenty of other threads for that

Thank you.

I'd rather close this thread than spend time repeatedly moderating it. I've discussed with Bozza and while it remains open for now it'll either get locked or merged if it continually goes off topic.

There must be at least three other vaccine threads.

Well said GB …I did try yesterday….hope it continues

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
graphocalypse
@graphocalypse
Replying to
@SkyNews
For first time since start of August both cases *and* hospitalisations are down significantly on same day last week. Hospitalisation down 11% and cases down 20%

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Conversation

Christopher Snowdon
@cjsnowdon
Yet another week-on-week decline in case numbers in England. The number of hospital patients falls below 6,000 for the first time since August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58628689

....All together now "...The llama is a quadruped which lives in the big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming. Llamas are larger than frogs...".

Younger posters may need to refer to their parents...

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58628689

....All together now "...The llama is a quadruped which lives in the big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming. Llamas are larger than frogs...".

Younger posters may need to refer to their parents...

Isn't science brilliant ??

Also :

Covid could be like common cold by spring, says expert

Covid-19 could resemble the common cold by spring next year as people's immunity to the virus is boosted by vaccines and exposure, according to a leading expert.

Prof Sir John Bell, who was part of the team that developed the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, tells Times Radio the country "is over the worst" and things "should be fine" once winter has passed.

He was speaking after Prof Sarah Gilbert, who designed the Oxford vaccine, said Covid was likely to become like other seasonal coronaviruses that cause common colds, as immunity in the population grows and the virus evolves.

Speaking to Times Radio, he says: "If you look at the trajectory we're on, we're a lot better off than we were six months ago.

"So the pressure on the NHS is largely abated. If you look at the deaths from Covid, they tend to be very elderly people, and it's not entirely clear it was Covid that caused all those deaths.

"And I think what will happen is, there will be quite a lot of background exposure to Delta (variant), we can see the case numbers are quite high, that particularly in people who've had two vaccines if they get a bit of breakthrough symptomatology, or not even symptomatology - if they just are asymptomatically infected, that will add to our immunity substantially, so I think we're headed for the position Sarah describes probably by next spring would be my view.

"We have to get over the winter to get there but I think it should be fine."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58662328

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Isn't science brilliant ??

Also :

Covid could be like common cold by spring, says expert

Covid-19 could resemble the common cold by spring next year as people's immunity to the virus is boosted by vaccines and exposure, according to a leading expert.

Prof Sir John Bell, who was part of the team that developed the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, tells Times Radio the country "is over the worst" and things "should be fine" once winter has passed.

He was speaking after Prof Sarah Gilbert, who designed the Oxford vaccine, said Covid was likely to become like other seasonal coronaviruses that cause common colds, as immunity in the population grows and the virus evolves.

Speaking to Times Radio, he says: "If you look at the trajectory we're on, we're a lot better off than we were six months ago.

"So the pressure on the NHS is largely abated. If you look at the deaths from Covid, they tend to be very elderly people, and it's not entirely clear it was Covid that caused all those deaths.

"And I think what will happen is, there will be quite a lot of background exposure to Delta (variant), we can see the case numbers are quite high, that particularly in people who've had two vaccines if they get a bit of breakthrough symptomatology, or not even symptomatology - if they just are asymptomatically infected, that will add to our immunity substantially, so I think we're headed for the position Sarah describes probably by next spring would be my view.

"We have to get over the winter to get there but I think it should be fine."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58662328

Thanks dazz..perhaps you could post it on the Covid forum so peeps who don’t look at this thread might see it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/22/nowhere-left-covid-go-mutate-deadly-variant-says-oxford-vaccine/

Another expert is reiterating how unlikely a new deadlier variant is. This isn't new information, but any reminder to people using terms like "variant factory" must be a good thing :thumbsup:

Covid is unlikely to mutate into a much deadlier variant because there “aren’t many places for the virus to go”, the lead scientist behind the Oxford vaccine has said.

Dame Sarah Gilbert said that viruses tended to become less virulent over time as they spread through a population which was becoming more immune.

Although Dame Sarah said some genetic drift was to be expected, she said Covid-19 would eventually become like other seasonal coronaviruses which cause the common cold and respiratory infections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here