Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You need to remember that the top chart is misleading- it doesn't show cases, it shows positive tests. The first bulge should be a much bigger spike.

Of course: however, we know the biggest driver of infection rates between the summer and December were the younger age groups, we also know immunity lasts for 6 months+ at least and we are also now vaccinating our older age groups at a fast rate. I’m not saying we’ve achieved herd immunity yet, but I do believe we are on our way. That’s a hell of a lot of people who are likely immune, at least to serious symptoms.

The Zoe symptom tracker which has been very reliable is at a lower rate than early September, which is very telling.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Very much so, what was it they estimate? x20% to x50% more than shown?
More like a factor of 5 or 10 times higher. When deaths were running at 1,000 a day, they were only testing about 10,000 from memory, and the cases must have been running at 50k or 100k per day to get that rate of deaths.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
More like a factor of 5 or 10 times higher. When deaths were running at 1,000 a day, they were only testing about 10,000 from memory, and the cases must have been running at 50k or 100k per day to get that rate of deaths.

Less effective treatments then of course, but yes probably cases up to 50k per day

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1359469171017461760[/TWEET]

This seems to be gathering pace as a potentially very effective treatment. Uni of Oxford now tweeting about it. 90% efficacy so far. Looks good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily data update - everything rapidly heading in the right direction :

Infections - 13,013, rolling 7 day number down 27.7%
Admissions - 1,872, rolling 7 day number down 22.6%
Patients in hospital peaked at just over 39k (18th January), it's now 26,684
Deaths - 1,001, rolling 7 day number down 25.9% (this is accelerating fast now)
Vaccinations - 411,812 first jabs (40k more than reported last Weds). Total of first jabs has now passed 13m (12,058, 298) .

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
So our media over reacted and ran a wall or fear?

I’m shocked I tell you

A friend of mine in London rang his surgery today regarding a neck problem, and during the conversation was asked if he could come in for a COVID Jab, he of course said yes, but asked why as he is only in his 40s.

He was told that a lot of BAME people were refusing the Jab as they had heard of the concerns about it not being effective or safe!

Once again the media is causing tthis pandemic to go on longer and cause illness and death simply because they want a "shock" headline

This isnt the press exercising freedom of speech, or exposing the truth, its irresponsible scaremongering and blatant misinformation used to get readers or viewers.

Time and again the scientists say wait till we have more info and time and again the press publish half truths and downright lies

They should all be held accountable for the misery, illness and deaths that they have and continue to cause

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A friend of mine in London rang his surgery today regarding a neck problem, and during the conversation was asked if he could come in for a COVID Jab, he of course said yes, but asked why as he is only in his 40s.

He was told that a lot of BAME people were refusing the Jab as they had heard of the concerns about it not being effective or safe!

Once again the media is causing tthis pandemic to go on longer and cause illness and death simply because they want a "shock" headline

This isnt the press exercising freedom of speech, or exposing the truth, its irresponsible scaremongering and blatant misinformation used to get readers or viewers.

Time and again the scientists say wait till we have more info and time and again the press publish half truths and downright lies

They should all be held accountable for the misery, illness and deaths that they have and continue to cause

This Pandemic has shown me how awful our media is, but that’s not for this thread.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

good point. Boris, the experts and even the BBC are now trying their hardest to explain the FACTS

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

When you say media, do you mean mainstream or does this include social media? The MSM haven't perpetuated any anti-vax myths that I have seen. Social media is another thing with all the ridiculous rumours about microchips etc. Although to be fair Twitter has been coming down hard on anyone who tweets fake news relating to Covid and the vaccinations.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Prof JVT was brilliant on his live Q&A today - would highly recommend anyone watch a recording of it if they are worried. As usual a hugely reassuring presence.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
When you say media, do you mean mainstream or does this include social media? The MSM haven't perpetuated any anti-vax myths that I have seen. Social media is another thing with all the ridiculous rumours about microchips etc. Although to be fair Twitter has been coming down hard on anyone who tweets fake news relating to Covid and the vaccinations.

Look at Sky News today

Most know cases are higher on a wed and the best way to compete is week on week, is that a fair comment?

Sky’s headline Covid Cases up on yesterday!! with no week on week/7 day average.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Look at Sky News today

Most know cases are higher on a wed and the best way to compete is week on week, is that a fair comment?

Sky’s headline Covid Cases up on yesterday!! with no week on week/7 day average.

When I stick the daily numbers up it's always the 7 day rolling number that's the key as far as I am concerned - there are too many fluctuations day by day (and the reporting isn't accurate on a 24 hour basis anyway - even in the 7 day trends the data is a bit out of date sometimes). The trend is the key.

Anyway, we've already had a few media negativity debates on here - best take that over to the main thread before we go off track again :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On 5th January, the government announced a target of 13.9m first jabs by mid-February. The programme’s on course to exceed that by 1.8m.

FCF78435-7A2A-4CFC-AF0C-7DB6447791A6.png

An amazing effort at all levels.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Prof JVT was brilliant on his live Q&A today - would highly recommend anyone watch a recording of it if they are worried. As usual a hugely reassuring presence.

He did another one of those on C4 news about ten days back. Highly impressive, very clear on all issues thrown at him, emphatically dismissive when dealing with misinformation eg the danger of vaccines to future fertility.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Look at Sky News today

Eh? I’m asking if the MSM has anything to do with promoting anti-vaccine bollox, particularly amongst BAME groups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here