[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
5C759DBE-1048-4200-9765-D79BE59C2369.jpeg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Cases/Deaths down 33 percent on last week

Any ideas why it’s coming down much quicker than the summer

Testing levels are one explanation as they were inadequate when we had our first peak so the decline looks slower, if you look at hospitalisation decrease they are coming down at a similar rate.

On the flip side I have a suspicion there is more going on, if you think how many people have had COVID since last spring, it’s got to be in the tens of millions real cases + vaccinated numbers now adding to this there has to be a fairly high level of immunity in the general population. That’s what I suspect, but of course nobody in any high place will dare say that for fear of stoking rule flouters.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

We weren't in lockdown over the summer for one?? Lockdown is the key driver in driving down rates but also hopefully by now some signs the vaccinations are doing their part and quite a large percentage of people have now had the virus, partiularly since November and have natural antibodies so combined there is some good coverage of immunity now in the population.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Testing levels are one explanation as they were inadequate when we had our first peak so the decline looks slower, if you look at hospitalisation decrease they are coming down at a similar rate.

On the flip side I have a suspicion there is more going on, if you think how many people have had COVID since last spring, it’s got to be in the tens of millions real cases + vaccinated numbers now adding to this there has to be a fairly high level of immunity in the general population. That’s what I suspect, but of course nobody in any high place will dare say that for fear of stoking rule flouters.

Valid point on the testing, what ever the reason it is good news.

The vaccinations should be kicking in with bigger numbers shortly

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

It might be just the natural recession of the wave. Waves, by their nature, must recede at some point. The Spanish Flu of 1919 did, and I don't think it could be specified why.

And before anyone jumps in, I am not saying that lockdown makes no difference. Even if the wave is receding naturally, other factors are in play as well. I doubt that any sort of statistical or medical modelling can ever work out exactly why the virus rises and falls as it does, and allocate the numbers between the various affecting factors. But I think we should bear in mind that one of the factors behind the rise or the fall is because that is what viruses do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Official daily numbers - some notable drops, along with the consistent downward trends, continue :

Infections - 12,364, down 26.6% rolling 7 days
Deaths - down 25.7% rolling 7 days
Admissions - 1,987, down 22.2% rolling 7 days
Vaccinations - 352,480 first jabs (slightly up on last Tuesday's number, despite the weather problems). 12.646 million first jabs now administered.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
9th January we were averaging 59,660 cases a day , One Month later we are now averaging 17,075 ...everything heading in the right way now :)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
According to Sky Breaking News the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have had their first covid vaccinations.

:clap2:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I like this, and I think it's pitched perfectly

[TWEET]1359397987345121284[/TWEET]

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You need to remember that the top chart is misleading- it doesn't show cases, it shows positive tests. The first bulge should be a much bigger spike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here