Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I was most surprised to be phoned by my local surgery this afternoon to offer me a COVID vaccination this Thursday at the Portslade Health centre, I fall within cohort 5, 65-69 years. I wasn’t expecting to be contacted until at least late February/March. Anyone else?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just 14k new infections today. All indicators continue down at the same rate, we are so close to beating this thing.

The rate at which things appear to be consistently falling has really pleased and surprised me in equal measure. There was talk at the outset of this third lockdown that the restrictions being put in place may not be sufficient to get the R below 1, however clearly this hasn't been the case.

It's hard not to imagine that our fantastic vaccination programme is playing a significant role in this, isn't it?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was most surprised to be phoned by my local surgery this afternoon to offer me a COVID vaccination this Thursday at the Portslade Health centre, I fall within cohort 5, 65-69 years. I wasn’t expecting to be contacted until at least late February/March. Anyone else?

Yes, my wife is also group 5, and has just got a text from the GP offering to make an appointment. Pleasantly surprised!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Yes, my wife is also group 5, and has just got a text from the GP offering to make an appointment. Pleasantly surprised!

My wife got messaged today as well and is having hers on Saturday. I’m hoping I’ll get mine if I’m cheeky enough to ask:)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My wife got messaged today as well and is having hers on Saturday. I’m hoping I’ll get mine if I’m cheeky enough to ask:)

Good idea. I'm "only" 63, but you never know!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
E0C824D2-FD4D-4403-B670-5A540A52A75F.jpeg 100A392D-0C9A-4E8A-99F2-A92652F422C4.jpeg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Sounds about right. There have been 12m jabs done so far and there are approx 9m people that are 70+ in the U.K. plus presumably around 3m people who are at risk due to their work or conditions. About 15-16m more to get all the 50+ people done.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If I’m remembering the numbers right, Twatcock said:

91% of over 80’s have been vaccinated (presumably lower as some people can’t have the vaccine)
95% of people between 75-79
75% of people between 70-74

He seemed very positive as did JVT regarding the vaccination program, which leads me to believe early data is definitely showing a good immune response, as we know there are active studies going on regarding this as it happens I would assume they probably have access to preliminary early data. JVT himself said the tone in the media and stories regarding the vaccines effect were regrettable.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The ZOE app symptom tracker, which has been recognised as quite a reliable measure of current infection rates, is now at its lowest rate since September 1st in England.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I read they're genuinely doing vaccinations at Selhurst...... I reckon you'd be eligible and welcomed for a Palace Prick!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Both of my parents are booked in for their jabs tomorrow! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here