[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Posted by [MENTION=17301]mwrpoole[/MENTION] on another thread this morning, thought it was worth reposting here

View attachment 132489

Any health pass opens up a whole world of black market and prejudices on what you can do based on whether you have had the vaccine, someone like me probably won’t be offered the vaccine till next year (if at all) and so we won’t be allowed to travel but those who have had a vaccine would be? Boris categorically said health passports will not happen.

O/T but thought I’d explain why I don’t think it’s good news. Subjective, I guess.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Exactly. It’s a slippery slope.

And it’s fuel for those who think the vaccine has a sinister motive.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any health pass opens up a whole world of black market and prejudices on what you can do based on whether you have had the vaccine, someone like me probably won’t be offered the vaccine till next year (if at all) and so we won’t be allowed to travel but those who have had a vaccine would be? Boris categorically said health passports will not happen.

So it categorically WILL happen then :thumbsup:

I'm sure there will be more unwieldy alternatives put in place for those who are unable or unwilling to have the vaccine. But I personally welcome it as good news if it opens up the world to something a bit more normal. I'd have thought most people would consider that to be good news :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

O/T but thought I’d explain why I don’t think it’s good news. Subjective, I guess.

doesnt have a lot of say in it if other countries insist on it for travel.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
doesnt have a lot of say in it if other countries insist on it for travel.

So it categorically WILL happen then :thumbsup:

I'm sure there will be more unwieldy alternatives put in place for those who are unable or unwilling to have the vaccine. But I personally welcome it as good news if it opens up the world to something a bit more normal. I'd have thought most people would consider that to be good news :shrug:

Will reply in the main discussion thread.

A bit of good news, considering the nonsense being spouted in the media about these new Brazilian variants from a chief involved in investigating mutations in the virus.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...iants-detected-in-uk-says-virologist-12188419

"The new Brazilian variant of concern, that was picked up in travellers going to Japan, has NOT been detected in the UK. Other variants that may have originated from Brazil have been previously found."

Hopefully as this variant they are concerned about hasn’t been found in the U.K. yet, even if it is here the spread will be minimised with the restrictions we have here + having put a ban on flights, important as ever to try and ignore U.K. media and tabloids.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I would call it great news. Sooner I get to visit my parents in Spain the better, its been 18 months and rising. Anything that gets people back to some sort of normal is good news.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
279k vaccinations in England today, compared to 248k yesterday.

Should therefore see a 300k+ number posted today for UK.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An interesting radio interview just then with Cristina Gallardo of politico.eu. She was full of praise for the UK's vaccination programme. She put this down to the UK government (in effect) indemnifying the pharmaceutical companies, also by setting clear short and medium term targets on the numbers and groupings to be vaccinated. She has a new article somewhere online expanding on this, I could only find this earlier piece.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-vaccination-europe-by-the-numbers/

I wonder if the number of covid deniers or anti-vaxers is thankfully very low in the UK? Helping the programme. By contrast, in France for example, 60% are distrustful and say they'll refuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2021/jan/11/vaccine-scepticism-in-france-reflects-dissatisfaction-with-political-class

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
An interesting radio interview just then with Cristina Gallardo of politico.eu. She was full of praise for the UK's vaccination programme. She put this down to the UK government (in effect) indemnifying the pharmaceutical companies, also by setting clear short and medium term targets on the numbers and groupings to be vaccinated. She has a new article somewhere online expanding on this, I could only find this earlier piece.

I wonder if the number of covid deniers or anti-vaxers is thankfully very low in the UK? Helping the programme. By contrast, in France for example, 60% are distrustful and say they'll refuse.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2021/jan/11/vaccine-scepticism-in-france-reflects-dissatisfaction-with-political-class

And the French now been given stricter lockdown regulations. Blackmailing the population to have a jab. Like it!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I certainly think there's something in the British psyche where by people defer to the "authority" in most situations. It's more prevalent especially in older generations (my grandparents basically took anything that was told to them by any sort of authority figure as gospel) who've been the primary targets of the vaccination programme thus far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I certainly think there's something in the British psyche where by people defer to the "authority" in most situations. It's more prevalent especially in older generations (my grandparents basically took anything that was told to them by any sort of authority figure as gospel) who've been the primary targets of the vaccination programme thus far.

From chatting to a lot of my elderly clients they are to a person all very very pro being vaccinated. I think most of them would be totally baffled as to why anyone would have any misgivings.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

It may just be that I’ve got rid of a lot of dick heads of my social media, but I seem to be seeing a lot less conspiracy theories and anti vac posts since the vaccine rollout as actually started !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

So when you said today, you meant yesterday? [emoji23][emoji23]

I admit I may be getting confused on dates (I mean reported daily figure today, which yes is of course from yesterday), but numbers wise it seems you were looking at UK wide and I was referring to England only.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ah ok, I see what's happened. Yes I said today when I meant reported today. Apologies.

:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports