[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're now at the point in the UK where vaccinations against COVID-19 are overtaking officially confirmed cases.

1 in 20 have now been vaccinated in the UK - 5% of the population.

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Add another one to the figures as my mum's been rung by Westcourt and asked to get her vaccine at 5.10pm today. Basically, two and a bit hour's notice, but that's ok. Maybe they got a bit more of the freedom juice (hah!) and want to make use of it.

So if you have elderly relatives, they might have some last minute slots going so be prepared for a call.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I certainly think there's something in the British psyche where by people defer to the "authority" in most situations. It's more prevalent especially in older generations (my grandparents basically took anything that was told to them by any sort of authority figure as gospel) who've been the primary targets of the vaccination programme thus far.

This has surprised me.

I think of Brits as an often beligerent, awkward, indepedently spirited people, loathing rules. Which has pros and cons.

On this occasion, the vax compliance is fantastic. Intelligent. People like my elderly parents want to live!!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
This has surprised me.

I think of Brits as an often beligerent, awkward, indepedently spirited people, loathing rules. Which has pros and cons.

On this occasion, the vax compliance is fantastic. Intelligent. People like my elderly parents want to live!!

The important thing to remember, particularly for younger people, is whether there’s much chance of Covid killing you or not it’s imperative that you take the vaccine.

There was an article on the BBC earlier which did a good job of emphasising why it’s absolutely vital that we vaccinate the highest possible percentage of the population. I won’t post the link here because the underlying tone of the piece wasn’t really inkeeping with this thread, but it’s the ultimate pathway to getting our lives back.

Encouragingly, I’ve been speaking to a few people recently who had previously been adamant that they wouldn’t be taking Bill Gates’ mind control serum for whom the penny now seems to have dropped. I do think we’ll see more of that as we gradually move from theoretical scenarios to being within practical reach of normality, IF people get on board with good common sense.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily jabs being administered have almost doubled since Monday - over 320,000 yesterday (UK) vs 166,000 on 11th.

3.234m now have first dose.

Smashing it. [emoji106]

17a9f52acf3c45dba65f8ae0dc090b21.jpg

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Add another one to the figures as my mum's been rung by Westcourt and asked to get her vaccine at 5.10pm today. Basically, two and a bit hour's notice, but that's ok. Maybe they got a bit more of the freedom juice (hah!) and want to make use of it.

So if you have elderly relatives, they might have some last minute slots going so be prepared for a call.

I suspect some no shows and the vaccine has a shelf life so if that’s the case, good work from the Drs.

Compared to Scotland who have estimated they’ll waste 5% which I found quite shocking really.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The important thing to remember, particularly for younger people, is whether there’s much chance of Covid killing you or not it’s imperative that you take the vaccine.

There was an article on the BBC earlier which did a good job of emphasising why it’s absolutely vital that we vaccinate the highest possible percentage of the population. I won’t post the link here because the underlying tone of the piece wasn’t really inkeeping with this thread, but it’s the ultimate pathway to getting our lives back.

Encouragingly, I’ve been speaking to a few people recently who had previously been adamant that they wouldn’t be taking Bill Gates’ mind control serum for whom the penny now seems to have dropped. I do think we’ll see more of that as we gradually move from theoretical scenarios to being within practical reach of normality, IF people get on board with good common sense.

Someone close to us, is a full blown Icke devotee, but even they will take :lol:Gates's microbot:lol:. Pragmatic that it will enable travel abroad.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I've just been "Pfizered"!!
They told you which vaccine it was? I thought they might not do that in case people had been reading "What Vaccine?" and wanted a different one - but I'm glad to see such openness.

Did they say anything about the second dose? (And remember only positive statements in this thread.)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

There has been a few stories of people just phoning up and asking and getting the jab no matter what the age.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Both Son and Spanish Daughter In Law, both of them key workers have been Pfizered. Maybe it's wrong to think this way, but I'm proud of the UK's vaccine roll out and take up.*I don't know if it's still the case but more people vaccinated here than across all of the EU combined.

Keep up the good work all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Both Son and Spanish Daughter In Law, both of them key workers have been Pfizered. Maybe it's wrong to think this way, but I'm proud of the UK's vaccine roll out and take up.*I don't know if it's still the case but more people vaccinated here than across all of the EU combined.

Keep up the good work all.

Think we’re still way ahead of all of them combined. As an example we did more on Weds alone than France have done IN TOTAL SO FAR.

Some great data here to play around with. We’re only behind Israel and UAE in terms of vaccs per 100 people (was talking to a pal in UAE yesterday- she explained they have ‘drive through’ centres and no appointments needed. They’re using the Russian-developed vaccine though..........

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

4761b6b6c508c4b2b28e30d35ae0c2e6.jpg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Think we’re still way ahead of all of them combined. As an example we did more on Weds alone than France have done IN TOTAL SO FAR.

Some great data here to play around with. We’re only behind Israel and UAE in terms of vaccs per 100 people (was talking to a pal in UAE yesterday- she explained they have ‘drive through’ centres and no appointments needed. They’re using the Russian-developed vaccine though..........

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

4761b6b6c508c4b2b28e30d35ae0c2e6.jpg

The Russian Vaccine seems to be OK, I’m not sure the UAE which is so reliant on business/tourism etc would pick that one and put it all at risk .

Just passed our local vaccination hub which was already busy. Hats off to those in the hi Vis outside in the cold and wet marshalling the parking, and those inside administering the vaccinations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports