Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Surely they can’t sustain that for long, we don’t make enough vaccine to do that do we ?
Would be amazing if it happens, things really could be back to normal by Easter !

Doing the simple maths, 500,000 vaccinations per day is 3.5m per week. AstraZeneca have said they are targeting 2m doses per week by mid-Feb, but of course on top of that we have the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines already approved with other UK-backed ones seemingly close.

It perhaps feels like a bit of a stretch target, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we do get close or even hit it. The vaccination program feels like one of the few things we’ve done well since the start of the pandemic, and for once I have faith in those leading the charge.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Surely they can’t sustain that for long, we don’t make enough vaccine to do that do we ?
Would be amazing if it happens, things really could be back to normal by Easter !

...well maybe it’s possible with the expected approval of the J&J vaccine....all the vaccine companies seem to be pulling out all the stops..I’m not sure about normal...but you hope that some of the freedoms/choices/normalities we are used to will be available (or start to)....day at a time and all that

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
...well maybe it’s possible with the expected approval of the J&J vaccine....all the vaccine companies seem to be pulling out all the stops..I’m not sure about normal...but you hope that some of the freedoms/choices/normalities we are used to will be available (or start to)....day at a time and all that

Doing the simple maths, 500,000 vaccinations per day is 3.5m per week. AstraZeneca have said they are targeting 2m doses per week by mid-Feb, but of course on top of that we have the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines already approved with other UK-backed ones seemingly close.

It perhaps feels like a bit of a stretch target, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we do get close or even hit it. The vaccination program feels like one of the few things we’ve done well since the start of the pandemic, and for once I have faith in those leading the charge.

When you put it in laymen’s terms like that it really does feel “doable” I forget about the other vaccines coming on stream too, I guess we need to factor in 2nd doses but still it would be a massaive achievement to get a nation vaccinated before summer starts.

This has cheered me up no end, I’ve been struggling with lockdown fatigue this week, everything has been a bit doom and gloom, but this is just the positivity to give us all a boost !

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Excluding kids that would allow the whole population to be done before the end of May.

Not according to this article on the BBC website.
‘ The aim is to:
vaccinate every care home resident by the end of January
everyone over 70, NHS frontline staff, care workers and anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable by mid-February
the rest of the priority groups and over 50s after that, possibly by May’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

It’s still good news by the way

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

I think it unfair and the wrong thread to say "one of the few things we have got right". It's a mantra from a section of the press that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. They point to deaths as the evidence but do not critically review how deaths are recorded in each country. For example, a French mate now living in Switzerland was telling me that France is simply not recording deaths with the virus if they can help it (or were not doing so last summer in the South of France where his parents are from). The UK however record anyone with the virus as a death whether they died of it or just with it. Excess deaths might give a clue further down the line. Also the biggest achievement has not been the vaccine roll out, but the vaccine procurement (buying) strategy. The EU's has been a disaster and Germany have now started buying direct as a result. If the UK can get the population vaccinated by summer then the deaths will also be significantly less than countries who are months behind the UK. So for me, the efficient delivery of the vaccine into peoples arms is a good news story but the thing to celebrate is the vaccine buying strategy. If they had got it wrong then we would not even be thinking of getting back to normal in 2021. No idea why the press have hardly touched on this. Certainly hardly heard it mentioned in our press, but friends and family in Germany & Switzerland have noticed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When you put it in laymen’s terms like that it really does feel “doable” I forget about the other vaccines coming on stream too, I guess we need to factor in 2nd doses but still it would be a massaive achievement to get a nation vaccinated before summer starts.

This has cheered me up no end, I’ve been struggling with lockdown fatigue this week, everything has been a bit doom and gloom, but this is just the positivity to give us all a boost !

Just to add the J&J one is a one dosage shot...not given the all clear as yet...but reports over the last few days indicate it’s close

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
‘ The aim is to:
everyone over 70, NHS frontline staff, care workers and anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable by mid-February

Not sure if it's the same thing, but a leaked report (I think) from the Scottish Government suggested that officially the Government is massively underplaying what they are planning in terms of volume and speed.

Not often a leaked report reports good news....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
‘ The aim is to:

Well at least it would cover the most at risk age range etc....and yes you are absolutely right it is good news

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure if it's the same thing, but a leaked report (I think) from the Scottish Government suggested that officially the Government is massively underplaying what they are planning in terms of volume and speed.

Not often a leaked report reports good news....

Makes a nice change doesn’t it.

I think the bit you are referring to is in post 5220

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
‘ The aim is to:

See other comments re numbers being underplayed - I actually think there's a concerted effort to not publish too much 'positive' news as it'll impact the 'follow the rules' message that's rightly out there at the moment (the news agencies never commented on the significant drop in infection rates from the peak about a week ago). Those BBC calcs don't tally with the 3m+ per week ambitions and I think things will be much better. So maybe we need an 'even better news' thread :)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think it unfair and the wrong thread to say "one of the few things we have got right". It's a mantra from a section of the press that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. They point to deaths as the evidence but do not critically review how deaths are recorded in each country. For example, a French mate now living in Switzerland was telling me that France is simply not recording deaths with the virus if they can help it (or were not doing so last summer in the South of France where his parents are from). The UK however record anyone with the virus as a death whether they died of it or just with it. Excess deaths might give a clue further down the line. Also the biggest achievement has not been the vaccine roll out, but the vaccine procurement (buying) strategy. The EU's has been a disaster and Germany have now started buying direct as a result. If the UK can get the population vaccinated by summer then the deaths will also be significantly less than countries who are months behind the UK. So for me, the efficient delivery of the vaccine into peoples arms is a good news story but the thing to celebrate is the vaccine buying strategy. If they had got it wrong then we would not even be thinking of getting back to normal in 2021. No idea why the press have hardly touched on this. Certainly hardly heard it mentioned in our press, but friends and family in Germany & Switzerland have noticed.

OK, I will revise that comment - as a nation there are absolutely aspects of this situation where we have undoubtedly excelled, particularly the scientific side. The Oxford-developed vaccine is probably the most globally significant vaccine approved to date, and things like this should rightly be celebrated. I also agree with you that we do seem to have got the buying strategy right, and this has probably not been heralded as it should as it doesn't fit the prominent narrative very well. Doing your job well isn't as newsworthy as doing it badly.

The undertone of that particular comment, as you rightly picked up on, was borne out of my frustration with much of the cabinet's handling of events to date (not least the fact I've got the bloody nippers at home with me all week! :angry:). But that's not for this thread, and with hindsight it was unnecessary to frame it in that way.

Ultimately, thus far the rollout of the vaccination programme appears to be genuinely up there with the very best in the world - end of story. And that is very good news indeed! :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
400,000 vaccinated today, so that’s now 2.8m a week. 3.5m a week by the end of next week.

The programme has been a great success, thanks to everyone involved.

Confirmed already.

289k today, 3m total tweeted by Hancock was total cumulative 1 & 2nd doses. Still excellent news of course. Ramping up nicely and looking towards 3m per week already.

9189c2016a0c1453da68ccdfe9a59c35.jpg

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
289k today, 3m total tweeted by Hancock was total cumulative 1 & 2nd doses. Still excellent news of course. Ramping up nicely and looking towards 3m per week already.

9189c2016a0c1453da68ccdfe9a59c35.jpg

It was that figure I went by when saying we would hit the 3 million first with today's vaccinations

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was that figure I went by when saying we would hit the 3 million first with today's vaccinations

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

My bad probably.........confusion between ‘reported today’ (ie numbers from yesterday) or ‘done today’ (reported tomorrow)

Moot point, it’s positive either way

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

My bad probably.........confusion between ‘reported today’ (ie numbers from yesterday) or ‘done today’ (reported tomorrow)

Moot point, it’s positive either way

Definitely. I've been impressed by the ramping up progress

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
35.57m vaccinations worldwide. This is really starting to ramp up now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here