Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Wimbledon looks likely to be cancelled so no £45,000 for all the first round losers, who will work for approximately 2 hours to be rewarded for losing or the equivalent of nearly double the average NHS nurses annual pay. Equally no £2.35m for the winners, or the equivalent of 96 nurses full year salaries for 2 week's work (not forgetting the many sponsorship s and image rights they will almost certainly be earning as week). Hopefully when this shit show is over tournaments like Wimbledon and other top level sports will begin to show a little morality in what they pay against all of the key workers who matter so much more to us than any sport star ever could.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment. However I am pretty sure tennis players, even those who get knocked out in the first round, work pretty hard before they are allowed their 'two hours' on court.

If we are after people who are paid exorbitant amounts, I'd sack the cast of Eastenders and other crappy soaps and all the cooking programmes along with anything reality TV based. Oh and Ant and Dec.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment. However I am pretty sure tennis players, even those who get knocked out in the first round, work pretty hard before they are allowed their 'two hours' on court.

If we are after people who are paid exorbitant amounts, I'd sack the cast of Eastenders and other crappy soaps and all the cooking programmes along with anything reality TV based. Oh and Ant and Dec.

Of course they do but there are 128 players in both the men's and women's tournaments so we're not even talking about the absolute premium elite, how.many avid tennis fans could name the players between 64 and 128 in the world rankings and this is 1 tournament. If a top 100 player lost in straight sets in every grand slam that would be £180k.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Of course they do but there are 128 players in both the men's and women's tournaments so we're not even talking about the absolute premium elite, how.many avid tennis fans could name the players between 64 and 128 in the world rankings and this is 1 tournament. If a top 100 player lost in straight sets in every grand slam that would be £180k.

Please start a thread about how much sports stars earn or similar such title. Let’s not derail this thread but stick to sharing positive news about the virus.

Happy to chip in to debunk and challenge your views on this, but not here.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Loving all the houses in my street, now proudly displaying pictures of rainbows in their windows. Great job by the kids.

I hope these are everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Loving all the houses in my street, now proudly displaying pictures of rainbows in their windows. Great job by the kids.

I hope these are everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Our area has put Teddy Bears in the windows so kids can go on a "Bear Hunt", it was arranged via our whatsapp street groups (Each road in the area has one) , and the area Facebook group.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Getting too low, this thread. Chuck any good news you’ve heard in here.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Getting too low, this thread. Chuck any good news you’ve heard in here.

Yep, some of the comments have veered right off course.
This is about positive info coming thru

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could argue the Imperial College’s latest...comments(? Don’t want to call it forecasting or predicting) suggesting a potential overall toll of 5,700 for UK is good news compared to some other comments/predictions/thoughts.

Also suggesting we may hit our peak cases (approx 260) on 5th April, which feels a little soon as that’s just over a weeks’ time. I guess each day that passes we have so much more data and these modellers will become more accurate each time.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Imperial College predicted 250,000 deaths in the U.K. a couple of weeks ago. Now, with our new procedures in place, they’re saying around 5700.

And as [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] noted in another thread, the peak would 260 deaths on the 5th April. So in just a week and a half things might start to get better.

EDIT: He beat me to it. :smile:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Glorious blue skies not streaked with vapor trails.
No stabbings by London kids.
Clapping for our overworked carers
People being nice to each other,
East Grinstead not being relegated

These are a few of my favorite things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here