[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I really hope they do begin to provide weekly updates of numbers, and a sense of us moving through the priority groups also.

The guy who is developing the gov covid dashboard replied to someones tweet yesterday requesting that, they are working on it at the moment and waiting on sourcing the data, they cant give an ETA but it wont be before mid December.

Good news they are already working on providing it though.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Apparently Scotland have announced 5,330 vaccinations so far, up to yesterday. That would suggest around 50,000 UK-wide in 3 days, if taken on pro rata basis.

We do of course expect these numbers to increase (here's the word of 2020 again) exponentially in the coming weeks, starting with the 300-odd GP practices coming online from next week for vaccinating all over-80s.

I really hope they do begin to provide weekly updates of numbers, and a sense of us moving through the priority groups also.

I was wondering at what point we'll start to see a genuine drop in hospitalisations due to so many people in the high-risk being vaccinated. I guess realistically, mid- to late January.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was wondering at what point we'll start to see a genuine drop in hospitalisations due to so many people in the high-risk being vaccinated. I guess realistically, mid- to late January.

I guess it’ll be hard to judge the effect if conversely we are seeing cases rise in Dec/early Jan due to increased mixing. But yes, I’m holding out for the “turning of the tide” beginning late Jan into Feb. I’d love that to be earlier.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I guess it’ll be hard to judge the effect if conversely we are seeing cases rise in Dec/early Jan due to increased mixing. But yes, I’m holding out for the “turning of the tide” beginning late Jan into Feb. I’d love that to be earlier.

Seems a long way off, but it'll come round quickly, thank goodness.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

My very rough mental calculations, based on a molehill of information and a mountain of assumptions, suggests real impact being seen from February onwards and more or less 'back to normal' possible from end March...but there are so many unknowns and so many factors involved and pulling in different directions. Most obvious of course being the level of the (inevitable) spike in January, which will slow down the impact of the vaccinations and could also have an impact on the rate of vaccination if means resources cannot be allocated to that programme. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it might, if people remain sensible (hmmm) and (more likely) if it is offset by a reduction in the 'usual' winter flu etc.

On the positive side, one factor that I've been thinking about, and haven't seen mentioned, is that it is not just the most vulnerable that are getting vaccinated. It is also many of those that are likely to be inadvertently involved in large scale transmission - care workers especially, but also frontline health workers. Assuming (as seems likely) the vaccine reduces the risk of transmission then the relatively small number of early vaccinations could have a disproportionate impact on the R number overall. Maybe?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My very rough mental calculations, based on a molehill of information and a mountain of assumptions, suggests real impact being seen from February onwards and more or less 'back to normal' possible from end March...but there are so many unknowns and so many factors involved and pulling in different directions. Most obvious of course being the level of the (inevitable) spike in January, which will slow down the impact of the vaccinations and could also have an impact on the rate of vaccination if means resources cannot be allocated to that programme. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it might, if people remain sensible (hmmm) and (more likely) if it is offset by a reduction in the 'usual' winter flu etc.

On the positive side, one factor that I've been thinking about, and haven't seen mentioned, is that it is not just the most vulnerable that are getting vaccinated. It is also many of those that are likely to be inadvertently involved in large scale transmission - care workers especially, but also frontline health workers. Assuming (as seems likely) the vaccine reduces the risk of transmission then the relatively small number of early vaccinations could have a disproportionate impact on the R number overall. Maybe?

Think this is very realistic especially if there is approval and rollout of the Oxford/AstraZ vaccine before Christmas - vast amounts already manufactured (in the UK) and so much easier to handle. The initial vaccinations anyway will have a massively disproportionate (in a positive way obviously) effect on death and hospitalisation numbers as the more vulnerable are protected - and this in turn lessens the pressure on the NHS..........which in turn means restrictive measures can start to be gradually relaxed as the risk of overwhelming the NHS diminishes. It's really uplifting to think about it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FDA committee approves Pfizer vaccine. Full FDA EUA expected in next 24-48 hours.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Apparently Scotland have announced 5,330 vaccinations so far, up to yesterday. That would suggest around 50,000 UK-wide in 3 days, if taken on pro rata basis.

We do of course expect these numbers to increase (here's the word of 2020 again) exponentially in the coming weeks, starting with the 300-odd GP practices coming online from next week for vaccinating all over-80s.

They also need to start doing weekly covid deaths, this daily toll is macabre now. A weekly figure will suffice

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My nurse friend at Brighton hospital has just been vaccinated.

:smile:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
My parents both aged 88 have just been contacted and they are getting their jabs Clair Hall, Haywards Heath on Thursday.
I'm actually weirdly emotional about the whole thing it's been a long year!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My parents both aged 88 have just been contacted and they are getting their jabs Clair Hall, Haywards Heath on Thursday.

Wonderful news.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oxford vaccine rollout 'likely' by New Year

Sarah Gilbert, lead researcher on the Oxford Vaccine Development Programme, said chances were “pretty high” of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab being available by the end of the year.

When asked how many people needed to be vaccinated for life to return to normal, she told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show: “If we’re trying to protect the most vulnerable, then in this country we’re planning to immunise about 20 million people based on age and also the frontline healthcare workers.

“And that would really have a big effect on hospitals being able to go back to normal. That’s not going to completely prevent transmission, but it should prevent the hospitalisations and severe cases.

“And then to reduce it in the community further we would need more people to be immunised, and it’s going to be something that we get the data on as we start to see the vaccine rollout.”

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2020-12-13/oxford-vaccine-rollout-likely-by-new-year

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Just come on here for a bit of feel good energy, seems to be on the only positive place on NSC at the moment.

A friend's mum is getting the jab on Wednesday, he lost his dad last year so this is going to be a massive weight off of his mind.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Great news! Do they live on their own or in a care home out of interest? I only ask because my Nan is 94, lives in her own house with my aunt and she hasn't been contacted yet but to be honest, I've lost the track of eligibility for the vaccine and locations etc.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Great news! Do they live on their own or in a care home out of interest? I only ask because my Nan is 94, lives in her own house with my aunt and she hasn't been contacted yet but to be honest, I've lost the track of eligibility for the vaccine and locations etc.

Doesn't have to be in a care home setting as far as I can tell as the person I mentioned above lives at home. According to the NHS website it's being done for the over 80s if they've already got an appointment booked for something else.

Link

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports