[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
4m Pfizer vaccines now expected prior to Christmas.

280 GP practices starting vaccinations next week, with a further 1,000 more joining them in the coming weeks.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
4m Pfizer vaccines now expected prior to Christmas.

280 GP practices starting vaccinations next week, with a further 1,000 more joining them in the coming weeks.

Have you seen any news on vaccination schedules by age groups Mellotron?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have you seen any news on vaccination schedules by age groups Mellotron?

Unfortunately not, no.

However, I get the sense that there will probably be quite a lot of overlap. The logistics of getting vaccines around the country and used as soon as the boxes are opened will make it very difficult/inefficient to always go exactly in the correct order.

I have heard of a few over-80s already receiving letters regarding appointments booked in the coming weeks, some of whom do not have any underlying conditions - but that is only word of mouth.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Based on UK demographics, and assuming that 4m vaccines means 2m people vaccinated, that won't get past the over 80s group.

Bear in mind we are hopeful of approval of the Oxford/Astra vaccine within the next week or so, and that there are 4m doses of it ready to go, last I read.

Just for everyone's info, a 2019 census stated that there are 3.2m over-80s in the UK. 11.9m over 65s.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Based on UK demographics, and assuming that 4m vaccines means 2m people vaccinated, that won't get past the over 80s group.

Unfortunately not, no.

However, I get the sense that there will probably be quite a lot of overlap. The logistics of getting vaccines around the country and used as soon as the boxes are opened will make it very difficult/inefficient to always go exactly in the correct order.

I have heard of a few over-80s already receiving letters regarding appointments booked in the coming weeks, some of whom do not have any underlying conditions - but that is only word of mouth.

Cheers guys.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Oxford vaccine results were published in the Lancet yesterday and are not behind a paywall:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext

There were no hopitalisations due to COVID or severe cases of COVID more than 21 days after the first dose of the vaccine , whereas there were 10 COVID hospitalisations and 2 severe COVID cases (1 death) in the control arm.

So the results tentatively suggest that the vaccine may reduce the severity of COVID amongst those who have the vaccine, but still get infected.

Which would be fantastic.

I cannot see any obvious safety concerns in the adverse events either.

Sadly, 1 person (possibly 2) has been murdered in the trials. :down:

AZD1222a.PNG

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oxford vaccine results were published in the Lancet yesterday and are not behind a paywall:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext

There were no hopitalisations due to COVID or severe cases of COVID more than 21 days after the first dose of the vaccine , whereas there were 10 COVID hospitalisations and 2 severe COVID cases (1 death) in the control arm.

So the results tentatively suggest that the vaccine may reduce the severity of COVID amongst those who have the vaccine, but still get infected.

Which would be fantastic.

I cannot see any obvious safety concerns in the adverse events either.

Sadly, 1 person (possibly 2) has been murdered in the trials. :down:

View attachment 131244

Guarantee you that the anti-vax nutters will pick up on those deaths without mentioning that 1 was in the control group and the other was murdered.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Guarantee you that the anti-vax nutters will pick up on those deaths without mentioning that 1 was in the control group and the other was murdered.

Unfortunately, what I suspect we are going to see over the coming weeks and months is a lot of hysteria whipped up on social media about adverse events experienced by those taking the vaccines which are minor, expected and related to the vaccine or very rare serious adverse events where causality is uncertain.

The thing that strikes me, assuming that the safety profiles for the vaccines will be similar to most existing vaccines (and I have yet to see anything to suggest that they won't be) is that by any objective measure, choosing not to have the vaccine is such a poor choice.

People who will seize upon a serious adverse event that occurs in fewer than a 1 in 100,000 and say "I'll take my chances with the virus" are making a really illogical decision.

Suppose the effects were reversed, so the virus had mild adverse events in most people, and some extremely rare serious consequences for a tiny number, but the vaccine for it killed around 1% and hospitalised even more. Would they take the vaccine then? Of course not, because that would be insane. Yet that's effectively the decision they are making.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unfortunately, what I suspect we are going to see over the coming weeks and months is a lot of hysteria whipped up on social media about adverse events experienced by those taking the vaccines which are minor, expected and related to the vaccine or very rare serious adverse events where causality is uncertain.

Already seeing it happen today with the allergic reaction some have had to the Pfizer vaccine

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The thing that strikes me, assuming that the safety profiles for the vaccines will be similar to most existing vaccines (and I have yet to see anything to suggest that they won't be) is that by any objective measure, choosing not to have the vaccine is such a poor choice.

People who will seize upon a serious adverse event that occurs in fewer than a 1 in 100,000 and say "I'll take my chances with the virus" are making a really illogical decision.

Suppose the effects were reversed, so the virus had mild adverse events in most people, and some extremely rare serious consequences for a tiny number, but the vaccine for it killed around 1% and hospitalised even more. Would they take the vaccine then? Of course not, because that would be insane. Yet that's effectively the decision they are making.

Already seeing it happen today with the allergic reaction some have had to the Pfizer vaccine

As you've all intimated, we'll probably see some headlines in coming months that may appear very alarming at first.

Given millions of over-80s will soon be inoculated, we will see deaths of people who received the vaccine not that long before - simple law of averages. It's down to the media to report this responsibly.

My views as to whether they will or not are best confined to another thread.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
As you've all intimated, we'll probably see some headlines in coming months that may appear very alarming at first.

Given millions of over-80s will soon be inoculated, we will see deaths of people who received the vaccine not that long before - simple law of averages. It's down to the media to report this responsibly.

My views as to whether they will or not are best confined to another thread.

Let's hope those in power are prepared for this and have their arguments in place to limit the damage that this could do vaccine take up rates.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise, so you would hope that there has been some thought given to a strategy on how best to counter this sort of thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This gives me some hope for seeing a real difference within about 8-10 weeks.

[TWEET]1336683275209863168[/TWEET]

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
This gives me some hope for seeing a real difference within about 8-10 weeks.

[TWEET]1336683275209863168[/TWEET]

That's a brilliant illustration of the exponential impact the vaccine(s) can have. If I'm not mistaken, this plots the percentage of people at risk of dying from Covid-19 versus the percentage of people vaccinated, but not necessarily the impact on R.

This would of course follow a more linear path in line with % people vaccinated, however I would imagine that these two things working simultaneously would cut actual death figures even more than is illustrated by the chart.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
There is no doubt that if we had vaccinated every 80 plus in the UK by this weekend, several dozen if not more would be dead by next weekend, nothing to do with COVID or the Vaccine.

People do tend to die at that age, usually because they have something else wrong but sometimes everything is worn out and it is time to go.

Won't stop the Social Media Wankers of course...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports