Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am clearing the Room for use at the Princess Royal Hospital to start dishing out the Vaccine.

Middle of next week should be a go :)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Dominic Raab this morning said once over 50, key workers and the vulnerable are vaccinated we will be able to get back to ‘near normal’ once that’s done, I’m glad to hear that as it’s the first time I’ve heard someone in the government almost half admit that the healthy population won’t need to be vaccinated before restrictions can be lifted.

It’s still a while away of course but it’s a logical step with the fatality rate very low out of the vulnerable groups.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Dominic Raab this morning said once over 50, key workers and the vulnerable are vaccinated we will be able to get back to ‘near normal’ once that’s done, I’m glad to hear that as it’s the first time I’ve heard someone in the government almost half admit that the healthy population won’t need to be vaccinated before restrictions can be lifted.

It’s still a while away of course but it’s a logical step with the fatality rate very low out of the vulnerable groups.

That is encouraging news indeed. Do we have a rough idea how many people that is? As a rough guess I'd say maybe a third of the population, so circa 22m people.

Easter Sunday is 4th April this year. Is that too early to hope that this is virtually all over for those of us in the UK?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Based on all the data it seems kind of obvious that this is the case.......I imagine they've been avoiding saying anything as part of the 'project caution' phase we're now in (at least from a PR perspective) to maintain control of any spread until we're well into the vaccination programme and the numbers (of hospitalisations and deaths) are noticeably declining. Stopping the NHS getting swamped was always the key priority, and vaccination of the vulnerable will do this. The light at the end of the tunnel is still a little way off, but it's a bloody sight brighter..........

As regards the allergic reactions, my daughter was taking about this last week funnily enough - we were talking about the open job advert she'd seen for vaccinators in her LHA and how low the bar was for applications - her only concern was whether the seemingly 'underqualified' would be able to deal with the inevitable occasional anaphylactic reaction that vaccines can cause - it's normal, and not uncommon. As with the couple of people that have experienced it so far, they are clearly hyper-sensitive (both were carrying epi-pens) so quite likely half-expected it and doesn't seem as though the reactions were that serious and quickly brought under control. Shouldn't really be a huge concern for the vast majority. It's also a tiny % of the actual number of people vaccinated already.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is there a website or any daily updates on numbers vaccinated. I'd be more interested to see this than cases each day.

It would be a much more fun counter to watch tick up than Worldometers Coronavirus stats...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Think i'll wait for a scientist (or at least someone with a bit more intellectual heft than Mr Raab) to say this before believing it. Still thinking i'll wait till I get my shot before taking my place back in the WSU

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think i'll wait for a scientist (or at least someone with a bit more intellectual heft than Mr Raab) to say this before believing it. Still thinking i'll wait till I get my shot before taking my place back in the WSU

Here's something from Professor Whitty related to the subject;

Vaccine will reduce deaths and hospital admission 'substantially'

Some positive news from Professor Whitty next.

He outlined "what the vaccine will do for sure", amid doubt whether jabs will reduce transmission of the virus as well as offer individual protection.

"I think it will reduce transmission," he said.

But he added: "It will reduce the mortality rate substantially.

"Then it'll start to reduce the number of people who go into hospital.

"And at a certain point, through society, through political leaders, they will say this level of risk is something we are prepared to tolerate.

"For example, in an average year 7,000 people die of flu.

"At this point, the risk is now low enough that we can do away with the most onerous things we have to deal with."

He doesn't give a date but I think we're looking at somewhere between late March and early May.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Here's something from Professor Whitty related to the subject;

He doesn't give a date but I think we're looking at somewhere between late March and early May.

That's my gut feeling too provided the roll out of the Pfizer vaccine goes well. If we then get the Oxford vaccine approved also then that should also help greatly provided the medical infrastructure is in place to get jabs out there.

I am now cautiously optimistic about my summer festival programme and a return to the Amex next season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's my gut feeling too provided the roll out of the Pfizer vaccine goes well. If we then get the Oxford vaccine approved also then that should also help greatly provided the medical infrastructure is in place to get jabs out there.

I am now cautiously optimistic about my summer festival programme and a return to the Amex next season

Me and a friend are hoping to do Download in June.

I now feel near certain we will back to the Amex in full capacity next season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Me and a friend are hoping to do Download in June.

I now feel near certain we will back to the Amex in full capacity next season.

I hope Download goes ahead for you. I have Glastonbury later that month and then Bloodstock in August as well as The Great Escape (which will be close to the wire I think).

I am feeling more optimistic, just need to get through the next couple of months. This thread has been key to keeping my spirits up in the last few months I hope it gets filled with more Good News as we proceed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope Download goes ahead for you. I have Glastonbury later that month and then Bloodstock in August as well as The Great Escape (which will be close to the wire I think).

I am feeling more optimistic, just need to get through the next couple of months. This thread has been key to keeping my spirits up in the last few months I hope it gets filled with more Good News as we proceed.

Great Escape is in mid-May right? Yeah that feels a bit close for comfort - I would probably do some of TGE as well if it's on though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great Escape is in mid-May right? Yeah that feels a bit close for comfort - I would probably do some of TGE as well if it's on though.

Yes 12-15th May. I have a ticket rolled over from last year. I guess we will know by the middle/end of feb as to whether we are on schedule to meet the vaccination targets as well as more caseload/hospital data. It will be tight.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apparently Scotland have announced 5,330 vaccinations so far, up to yesterday. That would suggest around 50,000 UK-wide in 3 days, if taken on pro rata basis.

We do of course expect these numbers to increase (here's the word of 2020 again) exponentially in the coming weeks, starting with the 300-odd GP practices coming online from next week for vaccinating all over-80s.

I really hope they do begin to provide weekly updates of numbers, and a sense of us moving through the priority groups also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here