Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
[tweet]1310508755684077568[/tweet]

Triage continues to drop which is hopefully a positive factor

Interestingly the other 'early warning' system, the coronavirus symptom tracker (with a lag of just a few days) has shown a slowdown in new symptomatic cases for the last two days.

Very early days still, but the warnings and new measures may be having an effect and hopefully preventing us from having to move to any stricter measures.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interestingly the other 'early warning' system, the coronavirus symptom tracker (with a lag of just a few days) has shown a slowdown in new symptomatic cases for the last two days.

Very early days still, but the warnings and new measures may be having an effect and hopefully preventing us from having to move to any stricter measures.

It might also be that back to school/back to work caused an understandable jump in cases which is now settling a little again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I agree it’s a positive sign...as regards to impact on new measures...well you’d expect to see a fourteen day lag ..so jury is out on that one..a discussion more for the other forum I guess :)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I agree it’s a positive sign...as regards to impact on new measures...well you’d expect to see a fourteen day lag ..so jury is out on that one..a discussion more for the other forum I guess :)

However it is happening (and while I do make some assumptions, based on the evidence available, I am always open minded to other possibilities) it is definitely good news if the trends continue!

It is true that, while infections outside the home might drop more quickly, there is still an inbuilt lag in the system as cases will continue to rise for a while after measures are introduced as a result of transmission within households.

But some of the places that have been driving a large part of the rise in infections - eg the urban North West - have been in increased measures for quite a lot longer, so we'd expect to be seeing the impact of that by now. And indeed, there seems to be a gradually reducing acceleration now for that region on the tracker app.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
From Professor David Paton on Twitter. I would say this is goodish news.

London positive tests went up 770% between 21 June & 10 Sep.

On 21st June, hospital deaths were averaging 2.6 per day.

On 22 Sep (when data should be fairly complete) average was 2.7.

Why are further, high-cost lockdown restrictions for London even being discussed?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does that cater for weekend lag?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't know whether to call it "good news" or not but the weather is due to turn over the next few days to something much wetter and altogether more autumnal, hopefully this might encourage more people to stay in a bit and help to bring the cases down?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't know whether to call it "good news" or not but the weather is due to turn over the next few days to something much wetter and altogether more autumnal, hopefully this might encourage more people to stay in a bit and help to bring the cases down?

Quite the opposite in fact, it’s widely thought that’s why flu spreads more easily during winter because more people are indoors. Bad weather is bad news for COVID transmission IMO.

And in reply to your question about lag, there’s not really lag with regards to weekend cases, the same amount of tests are processed on a Sunday as any other day. It’s a significant fall to just above 4000 from 6874 3 days ago, hopefully a good sign but too early to tell yet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does that cater for weekend lag?

Quite the opposite in fact, it’s widely thought that’s why flu spreads more easily during winter because more people are indoors. Bad weather is bad news for COVID transmission IMO.

And in reply to your question about lag, there’s not really lag with regards to weekend cases, the same amount of tests are processed on a Sunday as any other day. It’s a significant fall to just above 4000 from 6874 3 days ago, hopefully a good sign but too early to tell yet.

The best comparison is last Monday, 21st, and yes it's lower than that which is a great sign.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cases have dropped 3 days in a row.

6874>6042>5693>4044

Tentative signs, but good news.

New positive tests, per 100k, yesterday's in brackets:

South East - 1.64 (3.00)
London - 2.20 (6.55)
North West - 15.32 (21.10)
East - 2.40 (3.11)
West Midlands - 5.51 (9.60)
South West - 1.55 (2.94)
Yorkshire - 9.55 (11.56)
East Midlands - 4.59 (6.10)
North East - 10.37 (18.09)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I would assume we would be too wealthy as a country to get a chance to buy them.

“Wealthy countries that have signed up to the Access to Covid tools initiative (ACT accelerator), as the UK has, will also be able to order the tests. The initiative was launched in March by the WHO, the European commission, the Gates Foundation and the French government.”

D

Deleted member 2719

“Wealthy countries that have signed up to the Access to Covid tools initiative (ACT accelerator), as the UK has, will also be able to order the tests. The initiative was launched in March by the WHO, the European commission, the Gates Foundation and the French government.”

So are you saying the rich can rob the poor?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here