my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
D0D60668-B286-4D07-B535-3D587544F0E3.png

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Questionable whether it absolutely fits into the Good News Thread, although good news in terms of getting results on efficacy quicker.

Financial Times have reported today that "Challenge" trials are being set up in a location in East London, 2,000 volunteers will be deliberately infected with COVID-19 one month after receiving one of a number of vaccine candidates, to test efficacy.

This is all set up to happen in January 2021. All volunteers are fit, healthy adults and will be paid a minimum of £3,750 each.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Questionable whether it absolutely fits into the Good News Thread, although good news in terms of getting results on efficacy quicker.

Financial Times have reported today that "Challenge" trials are being set up in a location in East London, 2,000 volunteers will be deliberately infected with COVID-19 one month after receiving one of a number of vaccine candidates, to test efficacy.

This is all set up to happen in January 2021. All volunteers are fit, healthy adults and will be paid a minimum of £3,750 each.

Would have preferred south London .... oh yes, good news thread ... err excellent news on the efficacy and hope this gets us all back to normality sooner :)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Possible to explain this in layman’s terms?

I don’t see why hospital admissions, ICU and deaths would be on the rise of this is the case....

This could be an early indicator that things are shifting.

People being admitted to hospital now, would most likely have called 111 a week or two ago - when they first became ill.

People on ICU and dieing would have made that call 2 -4 weeks before (I am guessing)

So, while still very fragile, this does look like a first sign that things may be changing.

If these calls do start to go down now, we may see admissions start to drop in the next couple of weeks.

That's my highly simplistic reading anyway

And it's the first positive sign for a while so I am clinging to it!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

People being admitted to hospital now, would most likely have called 111 a week or two ago - when they first became ill.

People on ICU and dieing would have made that call 2 -4 weeks before (I am guessing)

So, while still very fragile, this does look like a first sign that things may be changing.

If these calls do start to go down now, we may see admissions start to drop in the next couple of weeks.

This!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All volunteers are fit, healthy adults and will be paid a minimum of £3,750 each.

Bollox....

fit and healthy rules me out then....

I wonder if you get double if you have a slight belly, bald and fifty and binge drink at the weekends still ?
I would still risk it for that, that's a new scooter or 1875 lucky dips on the lottery

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

This is my hope.
There does seem to be a lag between calling up to see if why I feel ill is Covid and asking should I be tested and then getting Propper Ill
So less calling the hotlines now hopefully means less ill

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Interesting that only a tiny fraction of those calls are for over 70’s; hopefully lessons have been learned in protecting the most vulnerable.

Similarly, given the high number of under 18’s, a signal that we might have to work on the systems we have in place in schools. At least we have the data to help make those calls, which in itself is positive.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

I obviously really hope that you are right but there around 3k positive tests on the 15th and today over 6k. Isn't this pretty much exactly the same as what the scientists predicted the other day? Doubling every week....

I appreciate this is the good news thread so isn't the place to take it further. Fingers crossed your theory might come true!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Most of the change is for the young age group, ie kids, which would fit with kids returning to school, coughing a bit and worried parents picking up the phone.

So, if you assume that some triages eventually become hospitalisations which eventually become some deaths, then having a lot of triage calls about kids is good because we know that very, very few of them would progress to the hospitalisation stage.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I obviously really hope that you are right but there around 3k positive tests on the 15th and today over 6k. Isn't this pretty much exactly the same as what the scientists predicted the other day? Doubling every week....

I appreciate this is the good news thread so isn't the place to take it further. Fingers crossed your theory might come true!

One point on the positive case stats released each day, they are newly reported positive cases but they didn't all just happen. Only a small handful of those 6k+ relate to specimens taken yesterday, the bulk will be from 2-5 days ago with a few stragglers for a mix of dates quite some way in the past.

You can observe this if you click on the "Data" view here - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One point on the positive case stats released each day, they are newly reported positive cases but they didn't all just happen. Only a small handful of those 6k+ relate to specimens taken yesterday, the bulk will be from 2-5 days ago with a few stragglers for a mix of dates quite some way in the past.

You can observe this if you click on the "Data" view here - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases

..and quite an important point too.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Thanks for highlighting that info - I can't believe I hadn't found that before (probably just happy to look at the "raw" data reported in the papers). I guess one slight issue is that test data released over the next several days will contain some level of historic test results, which will logically increase the historic numbers in the "specimen date" graph....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'Close to 100% accuracy': Helsinki airport uses sniffer dogs to detect Covid.

Four Covid-19 sniffer dogs have begun work at Helsinki airport in a state-funded pilot scheme that Finnish researchers hope will provide a cheap, fast and effective alternative method of testing people for the virus.

A dog is capable of detecting the presence of the coronavirus within 10 seconds and the entire process takes less than a minute to complete, according to Anna Hielm-Björkman of the University of Helsinki, who is overseeing the trial.

“It’s very promising,” said Hielm-Björkman. “If it works, it could prove a good screening method in other places” such as hospitals, care homes and at sporting and cultural events.

If it indicates it has detected the virus – usually by yelping, pawing or lying down – the passenger is advised to take a free polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test using a nasal swab to verify the dog’s verdict.

In the university’s preliminary tests, dogs – which have previously been used to detect diseases such as cancer and diabetes – were able to identify the virus with nearly 100% accuracy, even days before before a patient developed symptoms.

Dogs are also able to identify Covid-19 from a much smaller molecular sample than PCR tests, Helsinki airport said, needing only 10-100 molecules to detect the presence of the virus compared with the 18m needed by laboratory equipment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Relates to the US but helps give a further good idea of possible timeframe we’re looking at.

Covid Vaccine to Be Widely Available by April, CDC Chief Says

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield told senators that he didn’t mean to imply last week that it could take into the second half of next year for enough Covid-19 vaccine to be available to inoculate all Americans.

Redfield said at a Senate health committee hearing Wednesday that about 700 million vaccine doses should be available by April, echoing a timeline laid out by Paul Mango, deputy chief of staff at the Department of Health and Human Services, last week.

The vaccine candidates that are furthest along in development will require a two-dose regimen. Redfield’s comments last week, in an appearance before a different Senate panel, were “alluding to how long I thought it would take to get those doses into the American public,” he said. It could take through July to disburse the vaccine to all Americans that want one, Redfield said.

Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, agreed Wednesday with the timeline of 700 million doses by April.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
In fresh signs of a slowdown in the pandemic, India has begun to report more coronavirus recoveries each day than new patients. The trend began last Saturday and has lasted six days. This has helped India achieve its slowest weekly pace in the growth of active cases since the pandemic began: the number is now back below 1 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here