[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Under 500 people in hospital with Covid in England for first time since March.

Screenshot_20200821-171847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the consensus amongst epidemiologists is that it is logical for milder strains to become more dominant, as people are less likely to modify behaviour if symptoms are mild-to-non existent.

They Just had one on the radio who disagreed - said deaths are down due to ages.

Is it a bad thing if the young are getting it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They Just had one on the radio who disagreed - said deaths are down due to ages.

I don’t see any reason why both can’t be true at the same time?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I don't think it is a bad thing as it will contribute to overall immunity. The more people who are up and about whilst avoiding older shielding folks, the fewer cases and deaths in the older age-group if it returns. I don't want to say herd immunity, but that would contribute positively.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve been following this guy Dr Ron Daniels for a few months....he’s now starting to get some coverage ...relevant to some of the posts above

[tweet]1296895278432292865[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Zero coronavirus cases for a month in 90% of England and second national lockdown unnecessary, expert says

Most neighbourhoods in England have recorded zero coronavirus cases in a month making a second national lockdown unnecessary, an expert has said. Professor John Clancy, of Birmingham City University, has warned current fears of cities in Britain returning to lockdown are based on "dodgy data".

Writing in a recent blog, Professor Clancy said: "91 per cent of England (that’s 51million people) live in neighbourhoods where there hasn’t been a recorded Covid-19 case in the last 4 weeks." He added: "So-called ‘spikes’ are occurring here, there, and everywhere up and down the country because new testing regimes are causing them either with false positives, picking up residual infections or (usually more likely) suddenly increased testing in specific areas.

“‘Just in case’ lockdowns are simply not an acceptable response to dodgy data. And lockdowns cause deaths.” He said: "The reality is that increased and more widespread testing is leading, oddly enough, to finding more cases.

"This has not broadly led to increases in Covid-19 related deaths and hospital admissions in other so-called hotspots."

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
If you can put up with the boring presentation this is quite interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=FU3OibcindQ

Thats very interesting and I am hearing this more and more, the deaths in the UK are next to nothing and sadly the poor souls that are dyeing are all so it seems vulnerable or ill in the first case.

So I ask myself what is happening why are governments around the world keeping the general public in a state of fear and panic, driving economies to the point of no return ?

Is it just a massive social experiment ? a total re-set of the world ? a test of how to control the population to conform with lock downs ? nearly everyone I talk to says the whole situation is bizarre but no one likes to say out load.

Or could it be the fact governments around the world listened to the models of how the pandemic would kill millions and panicked...and now they can see the models are wrong by as much as a factor of 10 they are keeping it going to save face ??

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Thats very interesting and I am hearing this more and more, the deaths in the UK are next to nothing and sadly the poor souls that are dyeing are all so it seems vulnerable or ill in the first case.

So I ask myself what is happening why are governments around the world keeping the general public in a state of fear and panic, driving economies to the point of no return ?

Is it just a massive social experiment ? a total re-set of the world ? a test of how to control the population to conform with lock downs ? nearly everyone I talk to says the whole situation is bizarre but no one likes to say out load.

Or could it be the fact governments around the world listened to the models of how the pandemic would kill millions and panicked...and now they can see the models are wrong by as much as a factor of 10 they are keeping it going to save face ??

Perhaps the declining death rate is precisely because of the lock-down and social distancing measures?

Unless, of course, this is all some kind of conspiracy: COVID a 'deep state' hoax perpetrated by Bill and Melinda Gates so they can fund a vaccine which is really about numbing people's brains, so that citizens don't realise that the world is actually being governed by extra-terrestrial lizards - or so a lot of paranoid ultra-Right-wing nutters and Trump supporters claim :mad:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Personally I don’t buy that there is a government conspiracy to keep us all in. More likely they know how badly they will be punished at the polls if there are significant deaths as a result of a lax response.

I also believe that social distancing is working. Not so much because it’s reducing infections, more because the infections that are happening are of a lower viral load and so there are far fewer hospitalisations and deaths.

To me, a higher number of “lower dosage” cases is good news. The virus going through the population with very few serious illness or deaths is positive.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Perhaps the declining death rate is precisely because of the lock-down and social distancing measures?

Unless, of course, this is all some kind of conspiracy: COVID a 'deep state' hoax perpetrated by Bill and Melinda Gates so they can fund a vaccine which is really about numbing people's brains, so that citizens don't realise that the world is actually being governed by extra-terrestrial lizards - or so a lot of paranoid ultra-Right-wing nutters and Trump supporters claim :mad:

I am no conspiracy theorist I promise you, and thats part of the trouble at the moment, if you speak up against the lock down you are painted as a mad trump supporter ( which I am not )

So to your first point about social distancing, masks and lock downs, can you explain with all these things why are cases going up but hospitalizations and deaths are falling in nearly every country ?

EdIt, the post above answers a lot of questions and is really the answer we are looking for and hoping for.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think what we have seen is an initial under-reaction from the Government, followed by an over-reaction. You'd hope it will balance itself out a little over the next couple of months.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the press has been caught out time and time again fudging the figures ,in Australia anyway....it really is no wonder that people are starting question what the eff is actually going on.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

If you look at social media you’d have thought not much social distancing was going on ..so gut tells me other things are happening

Still perhaps we should be discussing this on the main COVID thread :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am no conspiracy theorist I promise you, and thats part of the trouble at the moment, if you speak up against the lock down you are painted as a mad trump supporter ( which I am not )

So to your first point about social distancing, masks and lock downs, can you explain with all these things why are cases going up but hospitalizations and deaths are falling in nearly every country ?

Speak up against what lockdown? We haven't been in lockdown for months.

What I think is happening is the combination of...

- General social distancing
- Improved hygiene
- Massive increase in working from home
- All educational settings being closed for the summer
- Significantly reduced use of public transport
- Care homes being better handled than was the case back in March/April
- Vulnerable people continuing to take great care at all times
- What virus spread is happening being mainly between those who are likely to have a good outcome (young and those without complicating conditions)
- People just being aware and trying to do the right thing whenever they can.
- Far greater knowledge of how best to treat those who do get very sick, including therapeutics such as remdesivir.

I don't think masks in shops makes a massive difference, but they certainly won't be doing any harm. They also act as a way of getting people accustomed to wearing a mask in case greater usage may be required as we move into autumn and winter.

This is all good news. We are balancing the pragmatic resumption of as much economic activity as possible with health concerns in a manner that enables us to tiptoe towards vaccine availability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports