[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
History teaches us a different story

View attachment 127326

With respect, Spanish flu was caused by an influenza virus and not a corona virus.

For those interested, here is a summary of one report on pre exsiting immunity to COVID 19.

Many unknowns exist about human immune responses to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. SARS-CoV-2 reactive CD4+ T cells have been reported in unexposed individuals, suggesting pre-existing cross-reactive T cell memory in 20-50% of people. However, the source of those T cells has been speculative. Using human blood samples derived before the SARS-CoV-2 virus was discovered in 2019, we mapped 142 T cell epitopes across the SARS-CoV-2 genome to facilitate precise interrogation of the SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ T cell repertoire. We demonstrate a range of pre-existing memory CD4+ T cells that are cross-reactive with comparable affinity to SARS-CoV-2 and the common cold coronaviruses HCoV-OC43, HCoV-229E, HCoV-NL63, or HCoV-HKU1. Thus, variegated T cell memory to coronaviruses that cause the common cold may underlie at least some of the extensive heterogeneity observed in COVID-19 disease.

In simple terms this is saying some common cold viruses are close enough to COVID 19 that they will produce a T cells immune that will destroy COVID 19 (if you have had that cold previously).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With respect, Spanish flu was caused by an influenza virus and not a corona virus.

For those interested, here is a summary of one report on pre exsiting immunity to COVID 19.

Many unknowns exist about human immune responses to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. SARS-CoV-2 reactive CD4+ T cells have been reported in unexposed individuals, suggesting pre-existing cross-reactive T cell memory in 20-50% of people. However, the source of those T cells has been speculative. Using human blood samples derived before the SARS-CoV-2 virus was discovered in 2019, we mapped 142 T cell epitopes across the SARS-CoV-2 genome to facilitate precise interrogation of the SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ T cell repertoire. We demonstrate a range of pre-existing memory CD4+ T cells that are cross-reactive with comparable affinity to SARS-CoV-2 and the common cold coronaviruses HCoV-OC43, HCoV-229E, HCoV-NL63, or HCoV-HKU1. Thus, variegated T cell memory to coronaviruses that cause the common cold may underlie at least some of the extensive heterogeneity observed in COVID-19 disease.

In simple terms this is saying some common cold viruses are close enough to COVID 19 that they will produce a T cells immune that will destroy COVID 19 (if you have had that cold previously).

It could help explain the extreme scale of reactions to this disease, from no symptoms whatsoever (even in old and sick people in some instances) to a very, very severe illness leading to death.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
enough of your doomsday negativity....people are generally a lot better nourished now than in the early 1900's , this virus bollox and the worldwide lockdown has done peoples heads in enough , i would quite happily jump on a plane to India tomorrow and take my chance ...cheers

incidentally , did you know that there has been an oil well on fire in north eastern India for nearly 2 months.......rivers polluted , 10's of thousands of people driven off their lands , 60 km's away India and China are having regular skirmishes over a disputed border area , some reports say over 500 soldiers have been killed , but you worry about masks....go on....ffs.

I don't worry about masks, I worry about catching Covid from selfish people like you who think they are above caring for the community.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't worry about masks, I worry about catching Covid from selfish people like you who think they are above caring for the community.

Please post your feelings/opinions on the relevant thread ...a lot of us have fought hard to keep this one as per title

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Please post your feelings/opinions on the relevant thread ...a lot of us have fought hard to keep this one as per title

Me too. Just every once in a while someone needs to be told a few home truths. I apologise to the rest of the readership.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i won't carry on .....this virus has caused a worldwide lock down , zero international travel , millions of jobs lost , billions of pounds , dollars , euros thrown at stimulus packages , it has given our children a legacy of debt which will be hoisted on to them for decades to come ....but people like me are selfish...?? many experts are now publicly questioning the the extent to which political hierarchies around the world have gone to to stem the spread of this virus ....the fact that it has been mentioned on this thread that the UK are keen to take a vaccine from China that is in stage 3 of human trials and looking promising whilst meanwhile Australia has apparently signed up to take 30 million doses from a company operating out of Oxford University that is also in stage 3 of human trials is confusing to say the least....i mean really ...?? wtf is going on here..??

all the best.

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
i won't carry on .....this virus has caused a worldwide lock down , zero international travel , millions of jobs lost , billions of pounds , dollars , euros thrown at stimulus packages , it has given our children a legacy of debt which will be hoisted on to them for decades to come ....but people like me are selfish...?? many experts are now publicly questioning the the extent to which political hierarchies around the world have gone to to stem the spread of this virus ....the fact that it has been mentioned on this thread that the UK are keen to take a vaccine from China that is in stage 3 of human trials and looking promising whilst meanwhile Australia has apparently signed up to take 30 million doses from a company operating out of Oxford University that is also in stage 3 of human trials is confusing to say the least....i mean really ...?? wtf is going on here..??

all the best.

Regarding the second part of your post, I think this is at least the fourth vaccine (including the Oxford one) that the UK has 'signed up' to. Vaccine development is very hit and miss I believe, so it's sensible bet-hedging. Also, given the volumes required, and manufacturing time even if they all work, it'll likely take more than one to sort the world out. But recent studies on immunity sound VERY positive for the likelihood that some, or all, are going to be effective. I'm optimistic we'll see an affective vaccine by end of the year.

First half of your post, I'd say 'legacy of debt' is maybe not such an issue for the UK (poorer countries, a different matter) - it will be at very low interest and can be matched with money creation (I'm not a big modern monetary theorist, but there is a role for money creation as long as it's used correctly and not just given to the banks like in 2008). So spending big now (on productive, green infrastructure) would be very much the right thing to do. Rebalancing will be necessary, but it can be done over time, and the rest of what I'd want to say (about why there is REALLY a reluctance to spend as we should in the short term) belongs in another thread.

Given how little we still know, a level of caution in terms of avoiding a resurgence/second wave is good economics (especially as we now seem capable of keeping a lid on it with relatively limited actions and manageable small economic impact, if we choose). A second national lockdown would be much worse for the economy, and we can't rule it out yet. If we do get a major resurgence then the alternative to a second lockdown (letting it spread out of control) would likely be far far worse again economically, for lots of reasons, a collapsing health system and people afraid to go out really is the worst case scenario both health and economics, so it just won't be allowed to happen. It's a false dichotomy to say either health OR economy, they are linked and we need to find the right balance.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
It could help explain the extreme scale of reactions to this disease, from no symptoms whatsoever (even in old and sick people in some instances) to a very, very severe illness leading to death.

It would also help explain different levels in the scale and severity of infections in broad geographical areas around the world. I presume the cold viruses that may be providing protection are not evenly distributed around the world. Areas of the world where they are more prevalent should be afforded greater protection (if the theory is correct).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The Declining Case Fatality Ratio in England

August 19, 2020

The CFR has fallen substantially from its peak in April. We now present data suggesting that the* CFR as of the 4th of* August stood at around 1.5%, having fallen from over 6% six weeks earlier.

The distribution of lagged cases stops falling and begins to rise around the 22nd of July, indicating when we would expect the deaths series to rise if cases were as fatal as previously.

The trend in deaths, however, continues downwards, indicating that the recent increase in cases is not leading to increased mortality. Figure 1 shows our estimate of the CFR as of the 4th of August as 1.5% –* and seemingly still falling.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/the-declining-case-fatality-ratio-in-england/

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Regarding the second part of your post, I think this is at least the fourth vaccine (including the Oxford one) that the UK has 'signed up' to. Vaccine development is very hit and miss I believe, so it's sensible bet-hedging. Also, given the volumes required, and manufacturing time even if they all work, it'll likely take more than one to sort the world out. But recent studies on immunity sound VERY positive for the likelihood that some, or all, are going to be effective. I'm optimistic we'll see an affective vaccine by end of the year.

First half of your post, I'd say 'legacy of debt' is maybe not such an issue for the UK (poorer countries, a different matter) - it will be at very low interest and can be matched with money creation (I'm not a big modern monetary theorist, but there is a role for money creation as long as it's used correctly and not just given to the banks like in 2008). So spending big now (on productive, green infrastructure) would be very much the right thing to do. Rebalancing will be necessary, but it can be done over time, and the rest of what I'd want to say (about why there is REALLY a reluctance to spend as we should in the short term) belongs in another thread.

Given how little we still know, a level of caution in terms of avoiding a resurgence/second wave is good economics (especially as we now seem capable of keeping a lid on it with relatively limited actions and manageable small economic impact, if we choose). A second national lockdown would be much worse for the economy, and we can't rule it out yet. If we do get a major resurgence then the alternative to a second lockdown (letting it spread out of control) would likely be far far worse again economically, for lots of reasons, a collapsing health system and people afraid to go out really is the worst case scenario both health and economics, so it just won't be allowed to happen. It's a false dichotomy to say either health OR economy, they are linked and we need to find the right balance.

Agreed ....the legacy of debt. is a reference to my own children who , living in Australia are currently living under a govt. who are throwing billions of $$$ around and are using that debt to garner support for getting massive fossil fuel projects off the ground....:rolleyes:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For what I believe is the first time since this whole thing started, the number of Global Active Cases on Worldometers has gone down for the past few days. Given the massively ramped up testing levels worldwide over the past 6 months, that is undeniably good news.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
For what I believe is the first time since this whole thing started, the number of Active Cases on Worldometers has gone down for the past few days. Given the massively ramped up testing levels worldwide over the past 6 months, that is undeniably good news.

Yes mate. Too much talk is about what is happening in the UK. We're not an island ... well OK we are ... but even if we could eradicate in the UK this would only mean isolation and only provide short term respite. We need to look at the global view. This is a problem for humanity as a whole

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports