Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Glad you all find this so hilarious...

I don’t think anyone finds it hilarious. We must question how PHE numbers are still so high, it’s been reported that for example if I had COVID in March, recovered and then tomorrow I passed away in a car crash, that I would still go down as a COVID statistic. And I wonder how long this has been going on for frankly, I saw posts on Facebook back in April that I thought were fake claiming that loved ones had died of totally unrelated things yet been recorded as a COVID death, much to the families fury.

It’s absolutely unacceptable, and whilst I understand why you are sensitive about the subject as we discussed it in another thread to put this into perspective, in England we currently have 92 people in intensive care beds with COVID the lowest number since March, yesterday PHE reported over 120 deaths from COVID with only 16 in hospitals. It simply has to be questioned and we need answers.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don’t think anyone finds it hilarious. We must question how PHE numbers are still so high, it’s been reported that for example if I had COVID in March, recovered and then tomorrow I passed away in a car crash, that I would still go down as a COVID statistic. And I wonder how long this has been going on for frankly, I saw posts on Facebook back in April that I thought were fake claiming that loved ones had died of totally unrelated things yet been recorded as a COVID death, much to the families fury.

It’s absolutely unacceptable, and whilst I understand why you are sensitive about the subject as we discussed it in another thread to put this into perspective, in England we currently have 92 people in intensive care beds with COVID the lowest number since March, yesterday PHE reported over 120 deaths from COVID with only 16 in hospitals. It simply has to be questioned and we need answers.

Agree the numbers don't add up.

The counting has been a shambles since day one. We don't even have a record of how many people have recovered.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

This. The "hit by bus" or "car crash" scenario is less likely than simple deaths from other natural (non-Covid) causes - sadly, people in hospices, care homes, etc tend to ultimately die there even in normal times.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This. The "hit by bus" or "car crash" scenario is less likely than simple deaths from other natural (non-Covid) causes - sadly, people in hospices, care homes, etc tend to ultimately die there even in normal times.

Aye..it’s a shame we don’t feel free to discuss this in the sub forum...because we know it’ll just get squashed or lost amongst the other stuff....have a good day everyone ..time for work

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Glad you all find this so hilarious...

I've only read back a page but I don't see any hilarity at all?

The point of the thread, though, is to share positive news and the reason for that is to genuinely help with mental health. If the "numbers" are truely wrong (and over-reported) then, overall, that is good news, in that the virus is less potent than we thought. In your circumstances I thought this might help a little (yes, I know, not much).

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Agree the numbers don't add up.

The counting has been a shambles since day one. We don't even have a record of how many people have recovered.

That’s because they don’t .... as said if you had covid in March but die in July it’s from covid , hence no recovery!

It keeps the fear going.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Confirmation, if needed, that we should ignore PHE daily all settings deaths.

[tweet]1288037737799380992[/tweet]

PHE includes deaths for anyone who had COVID at any point even though they may have recovered and passed of something different , totally wrong and misleading.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
PHE includes deaths for anyone who had COVID at any point even though they may have recovered and passed of something different , totally wrong and misleading.

Agreed. Also, that "hit by a bus" quote really didn't help.

No, not many get hit by buses in a time period of a few months, so it was a daft analogy for Hancock to use.

However, a HUGE amount of testing has been in care homes, where a large percentage of cases have been found. The average life expectancy of someone in a care home (pre and completely unrelated to COVID) is between 12-24 months, so it's completely logical - based on PHE's absurd system - that we will continue to see lots of "COVID" deaths that may well have little-to-nothing to do with COVID.

saulth

May 28, 2020
However, a HUGE amount of testing has been in care homes, where a large percentage of cases have been found. The average life expectancy of someone in a care home (pre and completely unrelated to COVID) is between 12-24 months, so it's completely logical - based on PHE's absurd system - that we will continue to see lots of "COVID" deaths that may well have little-to-nothing to do with COVID.

Exactly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed. Also, that "hit by a bus" quote really didn't help.

No, not many get hit by buses in a time period of a few months, so it was a daft analogy for Hancock to use.

Totally agree with all of that ....just would add though that as the figures have got down to a ‘low’ rate it seems the media’s attention has moved over to infections...I just wish there was more analysis in the media behind those figures ...such as how many were asymptotic...what percentage let to hospitalisation etc ..to help people perhaps assess risk a tad better

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Totally agree with all of that ....just would add though that as the figures have got down to a ‘low’ rate it seems the media’s attention has moved over to infections...I just wish there was more analysis in the media behind those figures ...such as how many were asymptotic...what percentage let to hospitalisation etc ..to help people perhaps assess risk a tad better

Indeed. It's worth recognising that 1 infection today is quantifiably not the same as 1 infection back in March/April, for so, so many reasons;

- Severity of symptoms - you pretty much didn't get tested back then unless you were obviously showing symptoms. Now they are able to test intensely in areas we know are seeing outbreaks, so we are seeing far more asymptomatic/mild infection numbers.

- Treatment & Hospital care - Dexamethasone and this new Synairgen Interferon protein (amongst others) seem to be making a very big difference clinically. With each day that passes Doctors have a better understanding of how to treat this disease - our original theory of "just get a shitload of ventilators" turned out to be incorrect, hence it was far, far more dangerous to get COVID-19 in March/April than it is now, and that will continue to only move in a positive direction.

- Viral Load - There does seem to be truth in the idea that the level of virus you take in will have some effect on severity of symptoms. Generally it is more likely - with mask-wearing and increased social distancing, lack of crowds in enclosed spaces, awareness of avoiding others when coughing/ill - that viral loads will often be lower in infected cases now. I have also read that towards the latter parts of a virus "wave" you see a far higher % of asymptomatic cases, not certain of the logic to this but it could relate to the point on intensified testing of symptom-less people.

I'm sure there's other factors, if anyone can add to this list?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

The key is infections v hospitalisation. You can a very high number of infections but if the hospitalisation rate is very low then your strategy will change. If the rate is in line with flu then you treat as such. If it’s much higher then you start looking at protecting the NHS again.

The data so far shows that either:
1. The viral load is greatly reduced, or
2. There are many more asymptomatic cases than first thought which the increased testing has identified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The data so far shows that either:
1. The viral load is greatly reduced, or

I guess the question is would average levels of viral load begin increasing again if we started allowing more "enclosed" events with larger groups of people?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here