Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Only 12 NHS England hospital deaths today on a Tuesday, I know I repeat this often but worth remembering back in April this number was over 900 on the peak Tuesday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only 12 NHS England hospital deaths today on a Tuesday, I know I repeat this often but worth remembering back in April this number was over 900 on the peak Tuesday.

Remember being grateful when it broke below 100

Oh and this reads well

[tweet]1288090766355693569[/tweet]

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Interesting

[tweet]1288111227499974656[/tweet]

Adds contexts to the 119 deaths announced today headline that just popped up. Not that most people.bother to seek out proper clarity on the figures.
I'm still puzzled as to why other settings deaths are still coming out quite high.

A positive is that even the ONS figures are suggesting the PHE ones seem not quite right

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Interesting

[tweet]1288111227499974656[/tweet]

Interesting Tweets in the replies too...
"Flu and pneumonia deaths were 3 times higher than COVID deaths last week but 34% down when compared to 5 year average."
If that's true, along with "[all] deaths [registered, Covid and non-Covid] are now running below the 5-year average", then surely the outlook for some normality is positive.

saulth

May 28, 2020
Was Sweden's strategy better in the long term?

Sweden’s latest Covid-19 figures suggest it’s rapidly bringing the virus under control.

“That Sweden has come down to these levels is very promising,” state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told reporters in Stockholm on Tuesday.

The Health Agency of Sweden says that since hitting a peak in late June, the infection rate has fallen sharply. That’s amid an increase in testing over the period. “The curves are going down and the curves for the seriously ill are beginning to approach zero,” Tegnell said.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Less than 100 patients on ventilators in UK for first time since lockdown began.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trend continues...although MSM is now focused on ‘cases’

https://twitter.com/anshul__k/status/1288820634508828672?s=21

Genuine question. When I look at his tweets, Twitter also shows something called "More Tweets" and they all seem to be a load of hatstand political tweets straight out of The Bear Pit. Surely good news isn't political and this Anshul feller seems to be pretty rational. Why an earth is it serving me up all that tosh with my good news?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Genuine question. When I look at his tweets, Twitter also shows something called "More Tweets" and they all seem to be a load of hatstand political tweets straight out of The Bear Pit. Surely good news isn't political and this Anshul feller seems to be pretty rational. Why an earth is it serving me up all that tosh with my good news?

I've noticed exactly the same. The More Tweets list is always full of complete and utter racist garbage. Bit annoying.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I just stick to the ones he posts on stats which I think have earned him a lot of praise ..the one I linked just had three posts attached none of them political

However I find David Paton to be better ..although he’s reduced the amount of work he does re the stats (this guy) https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1288821809513668608?s=21

I think it’s quite hard at the mo with Twitter in trying to avoid either left or right wing stuff merged in with some genuinely useful info

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I just stick to the ones he posts on stats which I think have earned him a lot of praise ..the one I linked just had three posts attached none of them political

However I find David Paton to be better ..although he’s reduced the amount of work he does re the stats (this guy) https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1288821809513668608?s=21

I think it’s quite hard at the mo with Twitter in trying to avoid either left or right wing stuff merged in with some genuinely useful info

I think it's Twitter that's deciding what are "more tweets" further down the page. The replies to him are perfectly normal. Anyway, I know not to scroll down now and just get my regular good news fix from this thread

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
From Johnson's comments it sounds like they may also be feeling quite positive on the vaccine. When asked whether antibody tests were still a game changer, the noises from him and Dido Harding were that we're not looking to ramp up antibody testing, and that the focus for game changing is on a/the vaccine.

He also refers to "Significant normailty" by November - I wonder how this ties with what you have heard, [MENTION=206]Marshy[/MENTION]?

Sorry only just spotted this - Yes, all my contacts at the hospital are confident that by year end a solution will be available and 'significant normality' can be achieved. Fingers crossed. Stay vigilant though is still very much required. There are no guarantees.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry only just spotted this - Yes, all my contacts at the hospital are confident that by year end a solution will be available and 'significant normality' can be achieved. Fingers crossed. Stay vigilant though is still very much required. There are no guarantees.

That's do good to hear on a day when Hancock has tried his best to send the nation back into panic and fear

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
To be fair to Hancock we don't want a rush back on at the hospital and a 2nd wave before end of year.

True. To keep it on the good news side cases figures dont seem to reflect serious cases and I cling to the hope the slight uptick is down to the targeted testing in these areas which is leading to the local measures we are currently seeing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here