Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know it's been mentioned, but New Zealand officially ending Social Distancing today - what a lovely thought.

We'll get there - not as quickly as we might like, but we will.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[tweet]1270342536431894535[/tweet]

Another positive tweet. Also, one thought-provoking comment in the thread - is what we have now the second wave many are worried about, and the first was much earlier ??? Food for thought...........

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
[tweet]1270342212379959298[/tweet]

As we come out of wkd reporting no deaths got third day in a row for NI

Seven for Scotland over three days which is well down on last week

RIP the 7

Yoda

English & European
Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK
Last updated on Tuesday 9 June 2020 at 4:31pm

Daily number of lab-confirmed UK cases
Number of additional cases on Tuesday 9 June 2020

Daily number of COVID-19 associated UK deaths
Number of additional deaths on Tuesday 9 June 2020

Tuesday numbers still falling

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mildly inappropriate post from a moderator to be fair, regardless of his past he’s helped a lot of people through this shitstorm, amongst a hail of negative f**kwittery on Twitter.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asy...-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

This article is potentially massive and it’s from WHO, apparently asymptomatic transmission is exceptionally rare.

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren't driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn't have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it's being transmitted.

"From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual," Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency's Geneva headquarters. "It's very rare."

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings.

More research and data are needed to "truly answer" the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

"We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing," she said. "They're following asymptomatic cases. They're following contacts. And they're not finding secondary transmission onward. It's very rare."

If asymptomatic spread proves to not be a main driver of coronavirus transmission, the policy implications could be tremendous. A report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published on April 1 cited the "potential for presymptomatic transmission" as a reason for the importance of social distancing.

"These findings also suggest that to control the pandemic, it might not be enough for only persons with symptoms to limit their contact with others because persons without symptoms might transmit infection," the CDC study said.

To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread.

"What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases," Van Kerkhove said. "If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce" the outbreak.

Looks like WHO have changed their minds

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That, and my enormous....opinion.

33 years ago a young medical student working in my lab, attempting a bit of greasing, which clearly backfired spectacularly, said to me 'May I have the benefit of your enormous opinion?'. After I'd stopped laughing, I told him to **** right off out of my face. Irrelevant to Covid, or indeed anything, but a heartwarming story, you'll agree? ???

:wink:

Didn't you used to write IMEO for "In My Enormous Opinion" on the mailing list, back in the day?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
[tweet]1270342536431894535[/tweet]

Another positive tweet. Also, one thought-provoking comment in the thread - is what we have now the second wave many are worried about, and the first was much earlier ??? Food for thought...........

My mate a respiratory consultant at st tomas’s is convinced it is a second wave. as there was more then usual pneumonia around Christmas/ new year in hospital (but not too many deaths).
They are now looking at radiographs taken ( cannot do covid tests ) and linking them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

saulth

May 28, 2020
After New Zealand, good news from Australia too.

At the height of the outbreak towards the end of March, Australia was diagnosing several hundred new infections across the country every day. However, on June 10, the nation hit a significant milestone in its efforts to suppress the disease, with no cases of locally acquired infection detected anywhere in the country within the 24-hour reporting period. This is the first time that this has been seen since the outbreak arrived in Australia in January. While there were a handful of new cases found within the 24-hour period, they were all either linked to established clusters or in returning overseas travellers.

NSW also racked up a major milestone, logging 14 consecutive days without recording any instances of community transmission. A single case logged on Monday, June 8, that was believed to be locally acquired was later found to be linked to an existing cluster following a contact tracing investigation. NSW still leads the country for the state with the highest number of recorded cases, with a total of 3,117. However, more than 87 per cent of those who contracted the disease have now fully recovered, and there are currently no patients in intensive care due to the virus in NSW.

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news...ansmission-detected-for-the-first-time-061020

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Through whatever mutation process this very much seems to be weakening. Hopefully that will go some.way to ensuring a second wave has nothing like the impact this has had

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The head of the national acute care network in NL has said the reopening of primary schools (a month ago), hairdressers and other close-contact professions (chortle), busy parks and beaches during Ascension Day and an anti-racism rally by more than 5,000 at Dam Square have not had any impact on cases.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Really great news from NI about the lack of impact from situations that were expected to cause major spikes

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Screenshot_20200610-121658_Twitter.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[tweet]1270668098148990977[/tweet]

This continues....despite so many doom-mongers 'certain' that decent weather/VE Day/rule busing/beach trips will kick off a second wave. It simply isn't happening (not just here, but anywhere else, with many countries being weeks ahead of us) - so a continued (but perhaps accelerated if the data persists) cautious lifting of restrictions should remain the plan. Think the Government are getting this more or less right at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here