Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It is a Sunday and numbers are always lower on a Sunday/Monday, but today is the first day with under 100 announced deaths since we went into lockdown, significantly under 100 too. No new deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland announced.

971E2AFC-93AF-4058-991F-6F8A0B231968.jpeg

saulth

May 28, 2020
Some of the worst hit European countries keep improving their figures despite having eased their lockdowns more than a month ago. Italy reports 197 new cases today, Spain 102.

More good news is that New York city reported zero covid deaths last Wednesday for the first time since March.

Yoda

English & European
It is a Sunday and numbers are always lower on a Sunday/Monday, but today is the first day with under 100 announced deaths since we went into lockdown, significantly under 100 too. No new deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland announced.

View attachment 124577

Out of those 1326 positive tests, only 2 were from West Sussex, both from samples taken on the 4th. 1 in Mid Sussex District and the other in Horsham District.

Regarding the other District Council area's last positive test, they are as follows:

03/06/2020 - Crawley
01/06/2020 - Chichester
30/05/2020 - Worthing
28/05/2020 - Adur
24/05/2020 - Arun

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52961539

New Zealand lifts all restrictions, including social distancing, as the country reports zero active cases of Covid-19. Very well handled by the Kiwi's - I appreciate it's not purely about the actions of an individual but what an impressive lady Jacinda Ardern is. Only 39 too.

I liked the bit where she told reporters she “did a little dance” when told the country no longer had any active virus cases

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52961539

New Zealand lifts all restrictions, including social distancing, as the country reports zero active cases of Covid-19. Very well handled by the Kiwi's - I appreciate it's not purely about the actions of an individual but what an impressive lady Jacinda Ardern is. Only 39 too.

Several on here saying that they cocked up because they have virtually zero immunity but I never bought that and seen no real evidence to support the argument. Nor do I but the argument that their economy will tank (any more than elsewhere) because of quarantine.

Tourism aside they can get back to normal, both socially and economically. I think they've done it absolutely right and well done on them for taking quick and decisive action

saulth

May 28, 2020
Covid-19 has likely become less potent as it mutates over time, and hopefully one day will become a common cold virus, a New Zealand, London-based professor says.

New Zealander Gary McLean, a professor in molecular immunology at London Metropolitan University, told Sunday Morning he was inclined to believe Zangrillo, whose claim was backed up by a second doctor from northern Italy who said he was also seeing the coronavirus weaken.

"They've experienced the full gamut of this virus and the effects and I think we have to believe what they're saying, the clinical picture that is. If they're seeing reduced severity there must be something to it.

"It's really difficult to know why exactly at this point, because there's a lot of reasons why it could be and there's no scientific literature, peer-reviewed papers that really document this, but if the clinicians are saying that I have to think it's probably real."

The virus may well have changed or attenuated causing a change in the clinical picture, McLean said.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018749596/covid-19-we-have-to-assume-the-virus-has-attenuated

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Monday reporting lag but 55, staggeringly low. Positive cases heading south, picking up a lot more mild cases now also.

80FD89B1-CF9A-446C-825B-0E302A2E5D27.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No Covid-19 deaths in London over 24 hours
London hospitals have recorded no deaths among those to have tested positive for coronavirus over 24 hours.

Across England, a further 55 people have died after testing positive for coronavirus, during the same period.

That is the lowest number since before lockdown was announced on 23 March.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That mild cases bit perhaps backing up what was said earlier in this thread about ‘milder’ cases being reported by Spanish and Italian doctors

Could be COVID weakening but I suspect also a lot more mild cases are being picked up now because testing has been massively up scaled and a lot more people can now get tests only 1/3 of cases, averaging between 4-500 per day are now being diagnosed in hospital, in early April we had 5k+ cases diagnosed from hospitals ALONE.

That in itself shows the progress we are making in defeating this, really hoping there is no spike caused by the protests.

On another note, anyone worried by the mystical R number I would advise reading this, gives a good example of why whilst cases lower R number becomes far less useful

https://twitter.com/johndstats/status/1269961883760680960?s=21

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The good news is from New Zealand, the reduction in deaths and no deaths in Scotland.

In relation to Sakora as this is a good news thread I won't say any more than take comments from the man who calls the NHS 'the last bastion of communism' and lied about being a being an honorary professor at Imperial with a big dose of salt.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here