Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The ‘Coolest’ person you ever met in the flesh?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
There was a charity show on at the Theatre Royal and following that, a post-show 'do' at the Grand Hotel. I found myself sitting in the company of Steve Harley and John Martyn - two very cool guys. After a couple of hours, Steve Harley retired and I was left with an increasingly pickled John Martyn. The hotel bar had shut, but John wanted another drink so they reopened the bar for us.
A while later, he asked me if there was anywhere to get a breakfast (yes, it really was that late/early) and I told him I knew just the place, and to wait for a little while. I left the hotel and picked up my 2 CV parked around the corner and pulled up outside The Grand. John levered his considerable frame into the passenger seat and I drove us to the Market Diner, where he treated us both to a fry-up while regaling me with tales of his life, loves and marriage.
Dropped him back at the hotel a couple of hours later, where the doorman came and opened the door for John and led him inside.
That guy was amazing and I still adore his music.

John Martyn was indeed a unique talent and a absolute unit ...i met him in the little bar next to the dome in Brighton in 86 if my memory serves correct but by best memory is getting on it with Kid Creole and the Coconuts at the pink coconut in 84.

I briefly met Miles Davis in New York in 89/90.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I met Matt Haig at a work event once. Ironically, he thought he was pretty cool.

Well he does live in Brighton, so...

Another illusion shattered! Twatt Haig then.

The biggest prick I ever encountered was another Brightonian, author and children’s laureat Chris Riddell. Got sat next to him at a dinner party. Absolute up himself ********.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Would I be right in thinking that'd be Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, rather than Jeremy Clarkson and John Cooper Clark? Pretty damn cool if it was

Totally forgot had breakfast in a café with John Cooper Clark whilst filming a documentary on Mods. Probably gave me the highest compliment a Mod could receive, he loved my trousers. He was also great company.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
There was a charity show on at the Theatre Royal and following that, a post-show 'do' at the Grand Hotel. I found myself sitting in the company of Steve Harley and John Martyn - two very cool guys. After a couple of hours, Steve Harley retired and I was left with an increasingly pickled John Martyn. The hotel bar had shut, but John wanted another drink so they reopened the bar for us.
A while later, he asked me if there was anywhere to get a breakfast (yes, it really was that late/early) and I told him I knew just the place, and to wait for a little while. I left the hotel and picked up my 2 CV parked around the corner and pulled up outside The Grand. John levered his considerable frame into the passenger seat and I drove us to the Market Diner, where he treated us both to a fry-up while regaling me with tales of his life, loves and marriage.
Dropped him back at the hotel a couple of hours later, where the doorman came and opened the door for John and led him inside.
That guy was amazing and I still adore his music.

Whilst I don't doubt this, my Dad met him whilst working at Ropetackle in Shoreham for a Steve Harley gig. He described him as an arrogant dick.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Josh Homme was very charming.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Howe Gelb of Giant Sand and other musical projects. Went to see Giant Sand at Concorde 2 in, oooh maybe 2005/6.
It was my elder Brother’s birthday and we spotted Howe mingling by the bar after the show, we had just brought a CD at the merch desk and my Bro was too shy to approach Howe so I went up and got it signed, when I asked him to sign it “Happy Birthday” he insisted on going over to my Bro and made him feel really at ease and gave him a hug.

My Brother passed away suddenly a few years later aged 39 and I still have the CD. I can’t look at it now but I like knowing it’s there to remind me of how awesome Howe Gelb was to my shy Brother on his birthday. Very, very cool.

****ing awesome live band too. Still one of my favourite ever gigs. Saw them at TOM too. Sublime. 633B491E-32BE-4CFD-BE2F-7340A2866F5F.jpeg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wzHryZCoudE

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not sure if she counts as cool, but met Kate Winslet at the Sea Life Centre a few months ago. She was trying to high-five my 18 month old son but he wasn't having any of it, left her hagining :lolol:

Also sat with Puff Daddy on the train from London to Paris back in the early 2000s

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I spent most of a day in a big hall at Excel, playing Wembley, penalty shoot outs, and crossbar challenge, with Usain Bolt.

He was filming a TV ad, pre London 2012 (I was supervising some technical stuff), and there were hours between takes, while they set up different shots. His rider for the day, was jerk chicken from a local restaurant, a PS4 with FIFA in his trailer, and a five a side football goal and a basketball hoop. Seemed a very decent bloke, very at ease with everyone, and generous with his time. I place massive importance in how a celebrity treats the 'little people' - the runners / cleaners / plebs. He very much passed that test.

On that - others who I've worked a few times around:
Michael Johnson - lovely man
Steve Cram - arrogant
Seb Coe - utter wanker
Brendan Foster - absolute gent, as you'd expect

In answer to Lenny's OP though - spending time with Bolt was the coolest experience, but the coolest person, and I expect only [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] to understand / appreciate this, was Ingemar Stenmark.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I spent most of a day in a big hall at Excel, playing Wembley, penalty shoot outs, and crossbar challenge, with Usain Bolt.

He was filming a TV ad, pre London 2012 (I was supervising some technical stuff), and there were hours between takes, while they set up different shots. His rider for the day, was jerk chicken from a local restaurant, a PS4 with FIFA in his trailer, and a five a side football goal and a basketball hoop. Seemed a very decent bloke, very at ease with everyone, and generous with his time. I place massive importance in how a celebrity treats the 'little people' - the runners / cleaners / plebs. He very much passed that test.

On that - others who I've worked a few times around:
Michael Johnson - lovely man
Steve Cram - arrogant
Seb Coe - utter wanker
Brendan Foster - absolute gent, as you'd expect

In answer to Lenny's OP though - spending time with Bolt was the coolest experience, but the coolest person, and I expect only [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] to understand / appreciate this, was Ingemar Stenmark.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I know very little about Ingemar Stenmark, mainly due to my complete lack of interest in winter sports (I've never even worn a pair of skis). But I know the older generation love and respect him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Are you sure about Moss, when I met him he was Hamilton-like?

Could you have met him on a book signing or something?

A combination of racing, he was taking the piss out of my co driver ( TOny Dron ) and at Dinner . . .a few times, at AIntree and Goodwood, on the table next door . . . Couldn't wait for the dollys so went and hel[ed himself to 4 bottles of claret for us all. Oh, and he waved my lad over the line winning a pedal car race.

D

Deleted member 2719

A combination of racing, he was taking the piss out of my co driver ( TOny Dron ) and at Dinner . . .a few times, at AIntree and Goodwood, on the table next door . . . Couldn't wait for the dollys so went and hel[ed himself to 4 bottles of claret for us all. Oh, and he waved my lad over the line winning a pedal car race.

All I know about Moss, is he had to be in every photo opportunity, could he have been getting another publicity shot?

Ps how much was it the car or your lad in winning that race.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here