Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The ‘Coolest’ person you ever met in the flesh?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I met John Le Mesurier at a friends 21st back in the 60s. Suited, sun glasses, sitting alone in the garden with a large Scotch, laid back, legs crossed. Bit of a loner but something of a legend.
I have met Des Lynam who, as others have said, is a pretty cool dude, and Bruno who is a really cool dresser and a really nice unassuming bloke.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
As a young bright eyed yoof in the late eighties I dated a girl who worked in the Coach and Horses pub in Soho.

Infamous journo and drunk Jeffery Bernard started chatting to me at the bar. He was funny and very charming,

When he popped to the loo a regular sidled up to me and said, ‘I suggest you disappear now daaahling, he is hideous after his fourth drink and he’s just ordered numbered five….’

Only learned about him later. What a character…..jeez….

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I once met Eric Cantona and shook his hand. That man is cool. I mean, next level cool. Even the players he played with thought he was cool, and they were stars already.

However - Diana Rigg for me. Exuded all the class and elegance of a woman who was at the cutting edge of cool in the swinging 60's yet even as an older lady (I met her maybe 5 years ago) she had stories to tell that I listened to like a 6 year old kid having a story read to him.

Mick Lynch

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
George Best my company hired him for an evening in a sports pub. We did a ball juggling comp for the locals George gave a prize, then he had the ball and went round talking to people whilst tapping the ball up and down on his feet, not even looking at the ball. Very pleasant very helpful, perfect gent, really nice guy.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Another vote for Siouxsie.. totally endearing to my 13 y.o. self..with a beautiful and warm personality.

Steve Ovett.. lovely chap & much cooler than his Tory nemesis

..but my wife has met Jeremy Corbyn.. not seen him mentioned...

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Met Javier Bardem while on vacation in Mexico a few years ago. Was just for a few minutes, but he was a really nice dude.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Are F1 drivers considered cool?

If so met a load of them in Hospitality at Oulton Park (Dad had been lap record holder on bikes so got a pass) after Practice.

Obviously as a 10 year old didn't know who they were & basically watched them go by!

Anyway :

Jochen Rindt - would be both World Champion & dead later in the year
Mike Hailwood
Graham Hill
Jackie Stewart
John Surtees

So 4 World Champions (5 if you count Mike the Bikes 2 wheel stuff)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Are F1 drivers considered cool?

If so met a load of them in Hospitality at Oulton Park (Dad had been lap record holder on bikes so got a pass) after Practice.

Obviously as a 10 year old didn't know who they were & basically watched them go by!

Anyway :

Jochen Rindt - would be both World Champion & dead later in the year
Mike Hailwood
Graham Hill
Jackie Stewart
John Surtees

So 4 World Champions (5 if you count Mike the Bikes 2 wheel stuff)

Jochen Rindt was a hero of mine, on that subject'ish I met Donald Campbell in Haywards Heath many moons ago!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Spent an afternoon chatting to Mark Gatiss while we were filming an episode of Midsomer Murders. I’m not sure “cool” would be the word but he was funny, interesting and down to earth in an unearthly way.

Spent a short time in the company of Brad Pitt on the set of Fury. Effortlessly cool.

Julian Glover was almost cool in a grumpy old veteran of stage and screen way.

Tom Hardy was odd but quite an individual.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Tarantino in a bar in Paris during my brother's stag do.......to make the situation even more surreal for me, my brother was dressed in a yellow chicken suit :ohmy:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
For me it would have to be most of the Albion squad between 03 and 07 having regularly headed up to training at Sussex, or a number of musicians.

Rou Reynolds and Rob Rolfe of Enter Shikari are top guys and a pleasure to talk to, as are everyone from Crossfaith.

Also met a fair few world champion Dota players in May, unfortunately I don't speak Russian so couldn't have a chat.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a young bright eyed yoof in the late eighties I dated a girl who worked in the Coach and Horses pub in Soho.

Infamous journo and drunk Jeffery Bernard started chatting to me at the bar. He was funny and very charming,

When he popped to the loo a regular sidled up to me and said, ‘I suggest you disappear now daaahling, he is hideous after his fourth drink and he’s just ordered numbered five….’

Only learned about him later. What a character…..jeez….

I had a brief fling with his daughter when we shared a house in Brighton together. Very lovely woman, a bit bonkers but in a good way and given her Father, it’s hardly surprising.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nasty snarling piece of work IRL. Complete **** really

His daughter was fit.

But never met him so can’t comment but I have heard things that put me off. Like all these supposed “Hellraisers” your Oliver Reeds, your Richard Burtons and Jimmi Whites, they are most likely drunken, misogynistic, ********s who are rude to waiters, vile to women and end up in a puddle of their own piss most nights. Pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here