Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Clash, BBC 4 tonight

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I also loved a lot of Sandinista and Know Your Rights had some great songs - but hasn't dated well.

The first album was a brilliant start, and I 'got' it. But they were much, much more than that.

Thought Know your rights was the lead off single from Combat Rock rather than album in its right. Don't agree with the dating aspect, still play Combat Rock today and to me its still fresh especially on the remaster with the reinstated American TV advert.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thought Know your rights was the lead off single from Combat Rock rather than album in its right. Don't agree with the dating aspect, still play Combat Rock today and to me its still fresh especially on the remaster with the reinstated American TV advert.

It was, my bad.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
No it wasn't.

I've seen you slate people who liked early Stranglers, but thought they were weaker later - saying those people don't understand what the band was all about. I thought their later stuff was disappointing - does that mean that I can claim that if you like their later stuff you don't 'get' Rattus Norvegicus?

Thought not. Their first album was a moment in time. If they'd rehashed that every year they would barely be remembered now.

slate people who like early Stranglers??? odd

I'm a regular visitor to a Stranglers forum and there are people on there that don't know the early stuff,they think it all started with Golden Brown,I wouldn't knock them for that

you can't compare yourself to other casual Clash fans,your a diehard

Complete Control,White Riot,London's Burning,Janie Jones,White Man and so on,as I said before downhill from there

they took a different direction after London Calling,completely and it wasn't for me,only a diehard would suggest they got better

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
30+ years & Strummer has still not apologised to me for going walkabout in France just before the planned Centre gig...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
they took a different direction after London Calling,completely and it wasn't for me,only a diehard would suggest they got better

I cannot say their latter albums necessarily got better. But I will say they were as good as the first IMHO ; they were also quite different (and were skipping Cut The Crap right?) The easiest thing for them to do was rehash the first album, but they didn't. They grew, evolved, and took onboard everything they were exposed to. A few songs fell flat on their face but this is the risk one takes when trying out new things. Looking back at their career, and the very short space of time they released the 5 five albums, it's nothing short of astonishing really.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I cannot say their latter albums necessarily got better. But I will say they were as good as the first IMHO ; they were also quite different (and were skipping Cut The Crap right?) The easiest thing for them to do was rehash the first album, but they didn't. They grew, evolved, and took onboard everything they were exposed to. A few songs fell flat on their face but this is the risk one takes when trying out new things. Looking back at their career, and the very short space of time they released the 5 five albums, it's nothing short of astonishing really.

We are definitely skipping Cut the Crap.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
30+ years & Strummer has still not apologised to me for going walkabout in France just before the planned Centre gig...

I think you're going to have a long wait :-(

I enjoyed the doc though. It reminded me how the music was complete pony and totally wonderful all at the same time. And it also revealed that the Roxy was knocked down - which is why I've never been able to find it

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
We are definitely skipping Cut the Crap.

Its a shame the production was so crap as , As "This is England" and "3 card trick" are up there with the best.

But as Crass once sung;

They said that we were trash,
Well the name is Crass, not Clash.
They can stuff their punk credentials
Cause it's them that take the cash.
They won't change nothing with their fashionable talk,
All their RAR badges and their protest walk,
Thousands of white men standing in a park,
Objecting to racism's like a candle in the dark.
Black man's got his problems and his way to deal with it,
So don't fool yourself you're helping with your white liberal shit.
If you care to take a closer look at the way things really stand,
You'd see we're all just ------- to the rulers of this land.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a similar them I've just started watching the Sonic Highways Foo Fighters series. I must admit I don't care for the band but the series is fascinating. If you don't know, they wrote and recorded each track off the new album in a different US city. Dave Growl investigates the music scene and interviews key players and visits and records at a key studio in the city. I watched the first episode about Chicago, but took a break and sadly there's only Seattle and NYC left on BBC iplayer now. Will have to get the DVD.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've read Chris Salewicz epic tome - Redemption Song The Definitive Biography of Joe Strummer.

I think it was Mick Jones' who'd refer to Strummer along the lines of 'never trust a hippy'.

If you want to take the negative view and say punk was only for the oppressed marginalised yoof then there was certainly a degree of hypocrisy to the privately educated son of a diplomat, Strummer.

But that's not really the case is it?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've read Chris Salewicz epic tome - Redemption Song The Definitive Biography of Joe Strummer.

I think it was Mick Jones' who'd refer to Strummer along the lines of 'never trust a hippy'.

If you want to take the negative view and say punk was only for the oppressed marginalised yoof then there was certainly a degree of hypocrisy to the privately educated son of a diplomat, Strummer.

No, it isn't the case.

As Joe Strummer should have said, but Ian Brown actually did, "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at."

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Being a life long follower of punk (dressed like one from 78 to 85 now just a normal bloke who goes to punk gigs) Punk in the 70s always seemed to be mainly middle class kids who rejected the suit wearing middle class parents they were being dragged up by...although that might just be the lads/lassies i knocked about with in my Surrey village?

Bands like The Stranglers,SLF the Jam and the Members were all very popular with a certain type of middle class yoof.....its only when you got into Oi you saw the more "street punk" side, and as for Crass well they seemed to attract the Bs Cs and upper Ds :)

*warning* the above might be total Bollox !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
True. Selling double and triple albums for the price of a single long player isn't the way to chase money, quite the opposite I'd suggest.

Seem to recall something at the time about the release of London Calling and Sandanista! having quite a bit to do with the band trying to extricate themselves from a seven album deal with CBS earlydoors, the theory being that a double album counts as two albums and a triple album counts as three. Might be wrong.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Seem to recall something at the time about the release of London Calling and Sandanista! having quite a bit to do with the band trying to extricate themselves from a seven album deal with CBS earlydoors, the theory being that a double album counts as two albums and a triple album counts as three. Might be wrong.

That is something along the lines that I remember too. But they still sold them at the price of a single LP, thus depriving themselves of much bigger profits.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
well you clearly know more than me on the finances front

just feel when the Clash went mainstream their music suffered as a conciquence

I loved the early Clash,I think those who liked the latter stuff probably don't really get the first album

Agreed! First album = brilliant punk:

Give 'Em Enough Rope = Very good (apart from the godawful embarrassment of 'Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad' :sick: )

London Calling = some good tracks, but ultimately sprawling all over the place. :ohmy:

Sandinista = I lost interest :yawn:

Cut the Crap = I wish they had; it was :shit:

Saw them live 11 times in total (up until London Calling) - whereas I've seen The Stranglers 23 times :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed! First album = brilliant punk:

Give 'Em Enough Rope = Very good (apart from the godawful embarrassment of 'Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad' :sick: )

London Calling = some good tracks, but ultimately sprawling all over the place. :ohmy:

Sandinista = I lost interest :yawn:

Cut the Crap = I wish they had; it was :shit:

Saw them live 11 times in total (up until London Calling) - whereas I've seen The Stranglers 23 times :D

It's funny how we see things differently. To me, London Calling is their masterpiece. One man's "sprawling" is another man's "rich in variety."

I think we're all agreed on Cut The Crap though :smile:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Its a shame the production was so crap as , As "This is England" and "3 card trick" are up there with the best.

But as Crass once sung;

They said that we were trash,
Well the name is Crass, not Clash.
They can stuff their punk credentials
Cause it's them that take the cash.
They won't change nothing with their fashionable talk,
All their RAR badges and their protest walk,
Thousands of white men standing in a park,
Objecting to racism's like a candle in the dark.
Black man's got his problems and his way to deal with it,
So don't fool yourself you're helping with your white liberal shit.
If you care to take a closer look at the way things really stand,
You'd see we're all just ------- to the rulers of this land.

Never really got Crass, I listened to them once and didn't rate them at all, they just come across as a load of soap dodgers/ New Age travellers.

I still listen to The Clash, especially the old stuff.

I'm sure if there hadn't been bands like The Clash bands like Crass wouldn't have appeared .
Not really sure how Crass could disrespect The Clash in that song.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here