[Misc] The Best Sit-Coms

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Dad's Army
Only fools and horses, up to when Rodney got married after that it got very tired.
It Aint Half Hot Mum
Ever Decreasing Circles
On the Buses, like OFAH only up to the point when Reg Varney left and then if was flogging a dead horse.
Please Sir
Birds of a Feather on BBC, got a bit staged when it went to ITV, with the two 11 mins segments.
The Office US is better than the UK version.
But for me, the ultimate sit com has to be Porridge, nearly 50 years old its timeless, brilliantly written by Clement and La Frenais.

And putting this out there the two most overated IMHO, Open All Hours, despite the brilliant Ronnie Barker and Last of the Summer Wine, bizarrely the longest running one in UK Tv history.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Minder

Only Fools

Blackadder

The Young Ones

Bottom

currently re watching Toast of London which is also very good

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The ones that I still watch repeatedly:

Arrested Development
The Thick of It
Spaced

Honorable mentions

House of Cards (UK)
Yes Minister/Prime Minister
Black Adder
Porridge
Flowers
The Mighty Boosh
Eastbound and Down

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
So nobody given Till Death Us do Part a shout? Quite unjoyed it at the time, probably not so suitable now....

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So nobody given Till Death Us do Part a shout? Quite unjoyed it at the time, probably not so suitable now....

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Well, modern argument seems to say that we laughed at his black jokes.

Of course both Warren Mitchell and Johnny Speight would have told you that we were laughing at his bigotry.

I’d love to believe them but Speight wrote Curry and Chips as well..... so ?????????

Can’t believe they took ‘Spike Milligan playing ‘Paki Paddy’ off our screens

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Fawlty Towers
Frasier
Getting On
Butterflies
The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin
The Office
The Thick Of It (more satirical and aggressive!)

Some of the above beyond the laughs, were also bitter sweet.

Point of order - it was the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
How I met your mother

very watchable

If only for Cobie Smulders :blush:

I'm rewatching it on Netflix at the moment, Barney has to be one of the greatest sitcom characters ever, such a shame the final season / ending was a total bust.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Well, modern argument seems to say that we laughed at his black jokes.

Of course both Warren Mitchell and Johnny Speight would have told you that we were laughing at his bigotry.

I’d love to believe them but Speight wrote Curry and Chips as well..... so ?????????

Can’t believe they took ‘Spike Milligan playing ‘Paki Paddy’ off our screens

Well as someone who watched it at the time I can assure you the laughing was at Alf Garnett, so yes about his bigotry towards everyone include his wife and son-in-law who were of course white..

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a kid Growing up it was The Good life and sometimes butterflies

Steptoe, Rossiter etc I discovered later

'my' first sit com was The young ones. couldn't go to school the next day without having seen it . . .likewise blackadder from 2 onward.

Men behaving badly struck a chord briefly, and another vote for early my family, and earlier outnumbered also

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh, I see Wendy Craig quite often, see lives nearby, gets her hair done in the village. Still looks amazing for her age, very regal like.

Ah the Good Life, a threesome with Barbara (what a Bum) and Margo (lovely Norks) was a 16 year olds dream.

Will probably post about my favourite Sit Coms a bit later when I have calmed down. :p

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dad's Army
Only fools and horses, up to when Rodney got married after that it got very tired.
It Aint Half Hot Mum
Ever Decreasing Circles
On the Buses, like OFAH only up to the point when Reg Varney left and then if was flogging a dead ho
rse.
Please Sir
Birds of a Feather on BBC, got a bit staged when it went to ITV, with the two 11 mins segments.
The Office US is better than the UK version.
But for me, the ultimate sit com has to be Porridge, nearly 50 years old its timeless, brilliantly written by Clement and La Frenais.

And putting this out there the two most overated IMHO, Open All Hours, despite the brilliant Ronnie Barker and Last of the Summer Wine, bizarrely the longest running one in UK Tv history.

Did you know Reg Varney was the chosen celebrity by Barclays Bank (I think) to open the very first ATM

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Alan Partridge
Peep Show
Fawlty Towers
Frasier (Seems a lot of people here liked it, a lot of my friends weren't that into it. Loved it myself.)
Veep/The Thick of It
Spaced
The League Of Gentlemen
The IT Crowd
The Simpsons
Blackadder
The Office
Reggie Perrin

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Fawlty Towers
Porridge
Father Ted
Peep Show
Blackadder
Young Ones
Curb your enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Men Behaving Badly
Only Fools and Horses
Inbetweeners
Red Dwarf
Detectorists
Extras
The Royle Family
I'm Alan Partridge & Spin Offs
Shameless

All great in their day, we are so lucky to have laughed so much.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
First one I remember as a child was “love thy neighbour” absolutely loved it. Shame it would never be shown again due to the snowflakes of the modern era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports