Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Best Sit-Coms

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I haven’t seen them in a long time. I’ll have a look on Amazon Prime and Netflix, if not I’ll buy dvd/blu ray.

HEY if this offends you you can leave in a huff..........

If that’s too early.. A minute and a huff

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Good Life
Butterflies

*sucker for an attractive middle aged blond [emoji849]

Oh, I see Wendy Craig quite often, see lives nearby, gets her hair done in the village. Still looks amazing for her age, very regal like.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
1). Dad's Army
2). Not the Nine O'Clock News
3). The Good Life
4). WKRP in Cincinatti (1st. two series)
5). Blackadder Goes Forth

Monty Python brilliant at the time, but hasn't worn well.

OK, sorry - Not The Nine O'clock News wasn't a sit com. :facepalm:
Put Porridge in their somewhere then, or Drop the Dead Donkey.

Wow I never expected to find another WKRP fan on here. Brilliant show.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Keeping Up Appearances with stellar performances by Patricia Routledge and Geoffrey Hughes.

I also enjoyed many but not all episodes of Last Of The Summer Wine.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Ever Decreasing Circles - don't think that's been mentioned on here so far, still funny today (the measure of a good sitcom).

From the USA - the Incomparable M*A*S*H (although perhaps a bit "of its time" with hindsight)

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I do find most of the mainstream American comedy pretty awful, like UK comedy to be fair, but three of my favourites are Frasier, Cheers (both of which have already been mentioned) and Soap, which is never repeated but was absolutely brilliant and also the launch pad to a great career for Billy Crystal.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
fools and horses
Faulty towers
Frasier

Lots of other good ones , especially from the 80’s like steptoe & son, keeping up appearances, golden girls , taxi , porridge etc that were all very good as well . But the 3 F’s are my favs . The writing was so clever. Can’t think of any comedy in the last 10 years , anywhere near that standard

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Frasier was absolutely brilliant. I still see the odd repeat on a Sunday morning and crack up laughing like Im watching it for the first time.

Frasier
Cheers
Only Fools
Taxi
Porridge
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I don't get the overhype Friends got and still gets. To me it is bad writing, acting and lots of continuity errors.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You have a great memory, I got my series mixed up !

It has come full circle as it was an Asda because they did the pocket tap thing - which Asda are trying to revive.

Massive fan of the series but surely it is a comedy drama rather than a sitcom? I do like the second one but the very clunky way they tried to explain away not having Wayne in the studio scenes spoils it a bit. Gary Holton had recorded the outdoor scenes but died before they filmed the studio scenes so he is often explained away as chasing some skirt somewhere. And it led to the very strange Oz/Vicki romance which was originally supposed to be Wayne that would make much more sense. Bill Paterson is excellent as Ally Fraser.

May 21, 2014
Portslade
Everybody Loves Raymond, great cast and every character in the show was funny, well apart from the kids. Also the brilliant Doris Roberts and Peter Boyle stole every scene they were in except when Debra had one of her flip outs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One that I've not seen mentioned is Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads - probably my favourite British sitcom. I think because the central two characters were so brilliantly drawn and because there was a darker edge to the comedy. I love Dad's Army and Yes Minister too but WHTTLL tops them all. In recent years, I've also liked Green Wing, The Thick of It and Derry Girls, fast becoming a real favourite.

I think the US sitcoms tend to better. Like others on here, I'd put Bilko as number one: brilliantly acted (especially Paul Ford, one of the best straight men ever) but I have a soft spot for Frasier, Mash and Seinfeld, although I think all of them went for a series too long. One I've not seen mentioned yet is the brilliant Larry Sanders Show, another great ensemble work.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think Frasier is the best sit com ever made. Both it and Seinfeld are still rewatchable and great. Though not sitcoms the thing I laugh at the most now are probably various UK panel shows.

Strangely the first two series of Seinfeld aren't brilliant, and that might extend slightly to the third. It's odd that it takes so long for the characters to find themselves. But when they do, it is absolutely genius. So clever, so funny. If its something that passed anyone on here by, I would thoroughly recommend checking it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here