• No

Votes: 63 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm confused now. Are you saying that your view is valid even though you're not a farmer but because I'm also not a farmer I'm just an internet troll.

Care to help me out?

You are a Troll. I would have more respect if you just admitted it rather than being a coward. I do not believe for a second you give a Rat's Arse about this subject but saw an opportunity to wade in and have a kick. But that is the way of Trolls. Cowards one and all. I am now OUT.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You are a Troll. I would have more respect if you just admitted it rather than being a coward. I do not believe for a second you give a Rat's Arse about this subject but saw an opportunity to wade in and have a kick. But that is the way of Trolls. Cowards one and all. I am now OUT.

Sorry? I'm a coward for finding your character assassination of the farming industry slightly offensive? Is everyone else who raised the same objections trolls or cowards also? And what's calling people names and then running away if it isn't cowardly?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The way I see it is the Farmer's don't give a Rat's Arse for any creature within their Farm that does not actually earn them any money and would slaughter anything that moves without a care or a regret as they are ruthless bastards and it is all about the £ in their bank account at the end of the month.

when someone comes up with statements like this i am less inclined to listen to any rational argument they may have

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Wow, astonished to read some of the coments on here. Trying to portray farmers as blood thirsty heartless capitalists shows an embarrassing level of ignorance. Most modern farmers are tireless enviromentalists who understood the vital needs of balancing nature long before the masses took up the call. Unfortunately badger numbers are no longer in balance as they have no predators and numbers are now out of control. Badgers may or may not be responsible for the tb in cattle the jury is still out but anything which may prevent the spread of this disease should be explored. Badger numbers would soon return to the culled areas if no signs of improvement were found. This is a no win situation and an open mind is required by all involved.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another question - sorry if it's been asked on here before, but I haven't trawled through every message on this thread. If cattle get TB, obviously it's not good for them - they will get ill, and presumably will have to be put down..................but is there any risk to humans from drinking milk from a cow with TB, or eating the meat? That, I think, would be the only justifiable reason for a badger cull - apart from the financial ones from losing cattle.
In any event, a vaccine would be a far better solution..............and with the amount of traffic on the roads these days, aren't badgers being culled to bits every day of the year?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
For US

I farm free range pigs, sheep, breed pigmy goats.

My farm also has geese, rescue ponies, a few horses and we are about to get free range chickens.

The welfare of my animals are foremost in my mind added to which so are the wildlife. I have spent years removing all traces of barbed wire from the perimeter fencing. Created deer runs over the land. Protected two large ponds as I have found naterjack toads. I've also put up nesting boxes for owls and this year we had a mating pair arrive!!

I do not and never will own a gun, I've have never and never will use anyone else's gun. I confess to allowing a "gun" on my land but the kill was butchered for the table.

I do not agree with many farm practices but do feel some things are best "policed" by the countryside folk. Down the years too much influence has been directed by those who frankly have no idea about the countryside. Its not a playground for townies but a place of work.

Some might say my way of farming isn't commercial but promote my methods, my produce, my locality (carbon footprint and all that). There is a market for my type of farming and even though I haven't shown a profit recently due to investment back into the business the coming year looks promising.

I will comment about the badger cull but only insomuch as I haven't read anything that supports it and would like more effort by the authorities to getting a safe (for food) a vaccine.

Much of the destruction of the countryside has not so much been caused by greedy kill happy land owner but by the "driven" consumer wanting that horrid looking bit of meat in Tesco/Sainsbury etc. Be prepared to pay more for quality and be assured that the farmer has the countryside best interests at heart.

Nov 27, 2009
I have friends who are dairy farmers. They live in fear of another bovine TB epidemic. As things stand at the moment, with prices the way they are, they are barely making a profit from their business. Badgers can carry TB, and at the moment there is no way of stopping this being transmitted to a herd, should they come into contact. Badgers have no natural predators in this country, which is why their numbers are continuing to increase. A cull will just bring the numbers down to a sensible level, and will give greater certainty that we can continue to produce our own milk in this country. I'm afraid townies just see a few black and white cuddly creatures and rush to their protection. The reality for country folk is much, much different.

Right....and when did you ever see a poor farmer?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Right....and when did you ever see a poor farmer?

That old chestnut.

There's a huge difference between land owners and your typical farmer. Your farmer may own his piece of our green and pleasant land but that doesn't mean he makes much of a living. Added to that your tenant farmer many of which work in excess of 70 hours a week for a pittance.

Farming in many areas is on it knees, The average ages of farmers are

ALL FARM TYPES 53.30
Cropping 54.50
Cereals 54.32
General Cropping 53.99
Horticulture 55.74
Livestock 52.48
Dairy51.4
Grazing livestock (lowland) 54.06
Grazing lifestock (LFA)52.15
Mixed and other types 52.63
Pigs 48.75
Poultry 53.93
Mixed 52.84

Very worrying.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
US you really do sound like Partridge here. Next it will be big chickens in barns, spinal column in baps and plums with beaks.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
US you really do sound like Partridge here. Next it will be big chickens in barns, spinal column in baps and plums with beaks.

I stand by my comments. Farmers are trying to protect their businesses, I understand that and will do anything to do that, regardless of whether it will work or not with the massive loss of life of the Species targetted. So yes, they are utterly ruthless and I guess I would be as well if I were in that profession. Also they may be suffering financially, well welcome to UK 2012 as many of us are from professions across the board. That is my say. Thanks for listening.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I stand by my comments. Farmers are trying to protect their businesses, I understand that and will do anything to do that, regardless of whether it will work or not with the massive loss of life of the Species targetted. So yes, they are utterly ruthless and I guess I would be as well if I were in that profession. Also they may be suffering financially, well welcome to UK 2012 as many of us are from professions across the board. That is my say. Thanks for listening.

Do you know how much they earn for milk? they make a profit of 4p a liter hardly basking in glorious wealth are they, and there have been plans to cut that by 2p. So yes i think they been living in 2012 UK for some time

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do you know how much they earn for milk? they make a profit of 4p a liter hardly basking in glorious wealth are they, and there have been plans to cut that by 2p. So yes i think they been living in 2012 UK for some time

Yes, join the club, loads of people are suffering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here