[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think that is our winter. -1C max yesterday 0C today and rising to 3C by Saturday and then milder. 1/2 inch of snow in Lancing which was nice but considering it snowed on and off for 12 hours, disappointing. Still, at least we had some snow so that is good

Fair comment. Although cold still all the way through to next Tuesday in most forecasts, but little snow potential in that time.

Late Feb and March have been decent for snow over the years, even April, so I've not written off the rest of winter just yet, but I appreciate if it comes later it tends not to linger.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair comment. Although cold still all the way through to next Tuesday in most forecasts, but little snow potential in that time.

Late Feb and March have been decent for snow over the years, even April, so I've not written off the rest of winter just yet, but I appreciate if it comes later it tends not to linger.

BBC have us at 7C Sunday 9 C next Monday and rest of next week 9 C to 10 C

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dry and cold in Mid Sussex for the rest of the week according to the Met Office website, before temps rise a bit on Saturday and quite a lot on Sunday. Have about half an inch on some surfaces from almost 2 days of falling snow :tantrum:

The Easterly wind is freezing atm.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dry and cold in Mid Sussex for the rest of the week according to the Met Office website, before temps rise a bit on Saturday and quite a lot on Sunday. Have about half an inch on some surfaces from almost 2 days of falling snow :tantrum:

The Easterly wind is freezing atm.

All a bit of a non event, like 2018

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
All a bit of a non event, like 2018

2018 was a non event for the coast. Inland there was enough to make travel tricky and for kids to get out and enjoy some sledging and snow man building.

This particular event has turned out to be a disappointment for us (although Kent got a decent event). Primarily because, despite everything looking set to produce the goods, for some reason the streamers that were expected never got going and the snow generated as the easterly made its way over the North Sea just didn't penetrate far enough inland.

This probably won't be the last significant cold spell of this winter, though. There's still potential for the rest of the winter to cycle between warm and cold spells.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
2018 was a non event for the coast. Inland there was enough to make travel tricky and for kids to get out and enjoy some sledging and snow man building.

This particular event has turned out to be a disappointment for us (although Kent got a decent event). Primarily because, despite everything looking set to produce the goods, for some reason the streamers that were expected never got going and the snow generated as the easterly made its way over the North Sea just didn't penetrate far enough inland.

This probably won't be the last significant cold spell of this winter, though. There's still potential for the rest of the winter to cycle between warm and cold spells.

Seems to be the theme this winter recycling. It’s hard here to get the exact conditions we need for snow. But the cold spell has been fairly decent not often you get days below freezing here. Tomorrow looks like potential for some snow as a last hurrah for this specific spell but I like you say I think there could be a reload yet. Been a fairly decent winter for a lot of people in the UK

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Indeed. Just been looking at some old photos I took of the garden in 2018. Up here in north East Sussex, I measured 21 centimetres of laying snow.
We got a respectable 7 from this event, still have laying snow on the ground this evening. Just seen there is a potential for another dumping tomorrow from around lunchtime onwards?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Just seen there is a potential for another dumping tomorrow from around lunchtime onwards?

Few flakes floating in the air here in Uckfield at the moment, and the cloud cover that's forming looks like it has some potential. Looking at the radar, appears there's a possible streamer tried to form this morning, but at the moment it looks like it's dying out before it gets here again and we're just going to get what's left of it. So I suspect much as it was in previous days - snow in the air for a few hours, but not enough to leave any decent coverage.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Few flakes floating in the air here in Uckfield at the moment, and the cloud cover that's forming looks like it has some potential. Looking at the radar, appears there's a possible streamer tried to form this morning, but at the moment it looks like it's dying out before it gets here again and we're just going to get what's left of it. So I suspect much as it was in previous days - snow in the air for a few hours, but not enough to leave any decent coverage.

As I expected ... fizzled out. Brightening up again now. Had a brief heavier flurry for about 5 minutes, now it's back to the odd flake floating around and the clouds are bright where the sun is shining through. Oh well, here's hoping for another go at it later this month.

Edit: In fact, the sun is properly out now. Blue sky overhead.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Just done the rounds of my 3 main forecast sources. They can't even agree on what I'm gonna get at 3pm this afternoon, let alone the days ahead!

BBC Weather - 3pm = 0 C, cloudy, then clearing through 4pm and 5pm to be sunny.

Netweather - 3pm = 0 C, cloudy, then 95% chance of some snow showers by 4pm, then starting to clear from 5pm.

Met Office - 3pm = 0 C, snow showers (it was showing heavy snow until a few minutes ago, rechecked for this post and it's changed again), then cloudy, then starting to clear 5pm.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just done the rounds of my 3 main forecast sources. They can't even agree on what I'm gonna get at 3pm this afternoon, let alone the days ahead!

BBC Weather - 3pm = 0 C, cloudy, then clearing through 4pm and 5pm to be sunny.

Netweather - 3pm = 0 C, cloudy, then 95% chance of some snow showers by 4pm, then starting to clear from 5pm.

Met Office - 3pm = 0 C, snow showers (it was showing heavy snow until a few minutes ago, rechecked for this post and it's changed again), then cloudy, then starting to clear 5pm.

I like this one.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.85;-0.62;7&l=rain-3h

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports