[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm genuinely interested, why did it do this? What happened.

Wind has turn more northerly and less easterly, as a first guess.

Yes, the stream of showers was created by a convergence caused by a mixture of air temperature & sea temps (key element), wind direction & speed, coastal topography, and other small scale variables. It created the right conditions for a semi-permanent lines of showers, which is basically Lake Effect snow,

see here: https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Lake-effect-snow.htm

When the wind changed direction the source of the instability creating new showers was cut off, so the existing band then drifted along the new wind direction decaying as it went.

A new stream may well form over Kent.

Last edited:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Just come through Hastings it’s quite heavy there. Much lighter along the coast in Eastbourne. Can see the line being about that in terms of how Far East they will travel.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Had a decent snow shower earlier in Worthing as I was delivering, it even started to settle a little bit, before promptly stopping, and a few periods of seeing a few flakes in the air on the breeze.
Still this is the best snow event down here for 3 years apparently.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just come through Hastings it’s quite heavy there. Much lighter along the coast in Eastbourne. Can see the line being about that in terms of how Far East they will travel.

The showers over Kent are the new streamer aligned to the new wind direction. The old decaying streamer is now out in the channel.

stream.png

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Had another overnight dumping of snow here in the Garden of England, guessing over the last 4 days we have had 8 inches or so...

Played havoc with us vulnerable people, 3 supermarket deliveries cancelled, without a minutes notice - good at taking your money though!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else in BN1 notice that the roads n pavements are dry as a bone and coated in an unidentified dusting of thin white stuff? New form of council grit? Or CONTRAILS? ???

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I cycled from the Pier to Rottingdean and back this morning. On the outward journey, my face has never been so cold, ever. The strong bitterly cold easterly wind meant that it felt like cycling uphill, even though it's basically flat. I had trouble overtaking slow joggers.
However, on the way back, nothing like as cold, and hardly had to pedal at all.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I cycled from the Pier to Rottingdean and back this morning. On the outward journey, my face has never been so cold, ever. The strong bitterly cold easterly wind meant that it felt like cycling uphill, even though it's basically flat. I had trouble overtaking slow joggers.

You drove back, then?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Is the undercliff path closed still? There was a big rockfall yesterday.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You drove back, then?
There's quite a steep downhill bit as you approach Ovingdean roundabout on the cycle/pedestrian track, and you don't have to stop. I've never travelled so fast on a bike. That included my motorbike! I actually did overtake a few cars!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Is the undercliff path closed still? There was a big rockfall yesterday.

I assumed it was still closed, hence the ride along the track next to the A259.

Yoda

English & European
Anybody else in BN1 notice that the roads n pavements are dry as a bone and coated in an unidentified dusting of thin white stuff? New form of council grit? Or CONTRAILS? ???

In my area of Worthing we had someone gritting all our paths to the front doors as well as the pavements at the beginning of this cold snap. Considering that our flat the front door is at the back of detached house, I was very impressed they did ours as if you didn't know we were there, it would've been missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports