Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I was out walking last night (in the Beckenham / Sydenham area) and it was bitterly cold. When the wind blew, my face felt like it was being sliced with tiny knives. I was surprised that there's no hint of frost though, and no icy windscreens. Is this usual?
Because of the low humidity the dew point is low (meaning that it needs to be colder before dew forms). Frozen dew is what makes windscreens and pavements/roads white.

That's the way I understand it anyway.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was out walking last night (in the Beckenham / Sydenham area) and it was bitterly cold. When the wind blew, my face felt like it was being sliced with tiny knives. I was surprised that there's no hint of frost though, and no icy windscreens. Is this usual?

The lack of actual frost is because the air is very dry. This has the effect of lowering the dew point of the air (the temp at which moisture condenses out). So, at the moment we have an airmass over us with dew points temps of -8C to -9C, so unless the air gets to that temp there will be very little actual frost.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Because of the low humidity the dew point is low (meaning that it needs to be colder before dew forms). Frozen dew is what makes windscreens and pavements/roads white.

That's the way I understand it anyway.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

There is a difference between frozen dew and frost, but the process by which they are formed is the same :)

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yes it's pretty much the same up here in Newport Pagnell, we have -4, frozen bird baths and a light frost on the front of our cars (very easy to scrape) but none on the side and back windows, and no frost on the grass or pavements whatsoever.

Jan 31, 2009
It was -24 degrees walking to work this morning. Your nasal hairs freeze as soon as you get outside and then thaw out once you get into the warm office building. Nice.... :)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What affect does the humidity or dew point have on the possibility of it snowing, if any?

Dry air contains less moisture, so it takes more to create instability/clouds/snow. You rarely get snow from within a dry / cold airmass, as it tends to be stable. (which is where the illusion that "It's too cold to snow" comes from).

What happens, and will hopefully this weekend is that a much moister airmass bumps into the cold air, and as you usually get a warm front first, which tends to lean forwards from the ground, you get moist air aloft with the cold drier air below.... which gives snow or sometimes freezing rain.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It was -24 degrees walking to work this morning. Your nasal hairs freeze as soon as you get outside and then thaw out once you get into the warm office building. Nice.... :)

If you blow your nose, do all the hairs snap off?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am planning to fly in Sat am watch the match and fly out of LHR Sunday morning back to America. I have to get back for Monday. SO the big question, will the snow mean I can't get back? If so I have to stay here and miss the match which would be very sad indeed.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Dry air contains less moisture, so it takes more to create instability/clouds/snow. You rarely get snow from within a dry / cold airmass, as it tends to be stable. (which is where the illusion that "It's too cold to snow" comes from).

What happens, and will hopefully this weekend is that a much moister airmass bumps into the cold air, and as you usually get a warm front first, which tends to lean forwards from the ground, you get moist air aloft with the cold drier air below.... which gives snow or sometimes freezing rain.

Thank you Papa L :)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I am planning to fly in Sat am watch the match and fly out of LHR Sunday morning back to America. I have to get back for Monday. SO the big question, will the snow mean I can't get back? If so I have to stay here and miss the match which would be very sad indeed.

Gatwick is ground zero for possible disruption Sat night into Sunday - far enough East, but not too far, far enough north (away from coast) and at about 200ft ASL. I'd be very worried if I were you.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Gatwick is ground zero for possible disruption Sat night into Sunday - far enough East, but not too far, far enough north (away from coast) and at about 200ft ASL. I'd be very worried if I were you.

What about LHR? I would be staying in Brighton Saturday night so need a clear M23 and M25 at 7.30 am Sunday to get to LHR at 8.30 and off at 10.30?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here