Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes: Second Test, Adelaide - The 100% OFFICIAL thread [Merged]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My first move,but it wont happen, would be to give the captaincy to Strauss, and let Flintoff concentrate on what he does best batting and bowling. Then bring back Monty instead of Giles who is not a match winning spinner but more to contain the batsman, not very successfully in the last test.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Monty in, Giles out, for me.

I'd also be tempted to play Mahommod for Anderson, but having said that I think the fact that we tend to stick by players rather than giving them one Test and then out, has helped us over the last few years, so wouldn't object to Jimmy getting 3 Tests to see what he's got.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ding Dong ! said:
I'd heard that Haremison isn't upto it because he gets homesick !!!!

I think you've heard wrong. He's done well on tours before, did you see him in the West Indies.

Nah, he's a rhythm bowler, and sometimes it's just not clicking. My fear is that it was Troy Cooley who was able to sort him out whenever he lost his action in the past.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Gritt23 said:
I think you've heard wrong. He's done well on tours before, did you see him in the West Indies.

Nah, he's a rhythm bowler, and sometimes it's just not clicking. My fear is that it was Troy Cooley who was able to sort him out whenever he lost his action in the past.

There has been stuff written that he does not travel well. Maybe the Barmy Army could dress up in Newcastle shirts to make him feel more at home?

I think a few of the bowlers are also suffering as the tour schedules do not allow for enough warm up games anymore. Monty and Hoggard have not played much cricket since September.

Stumpy Tim

When England were really shit (and I mean really shit) under Atheron & before that every test we would make reactionary switches to the team so we would never get a settled team. It's not a good idea. In Adelaide we should play 2 spinners, so it's Monty in for Anderson I reckon.

More importantly, look out for me & my mates on a stag-do. 40 of us dressing up as Batman & Robin on the Saturday - and the stag going as the Riddler. And I'm taking my "Seagulls" England flag. Get in!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gritt23 said:

He bowled well there but the pitches were almost perfect for him and the West Indies were SHITHOUSE at the time.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Maybe the Barmy Army could dress up in Newcastle shirts to make him feel more at home?

That would be really funny. Mind you, we'd never win anything then...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I mentioned this on another thread.

I think what's not been mentioned on here yet, and is what was responsible for getting England back into the last series and eventually a win was the use of reverse swing deliverys.

That style of bowling had our batsmen bamboozled.

The thing is down here, on our pitches, it's much harder to get that delivery working.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
BensGrandad said:
My first move,but it wont happen, would be to give the captaincy to Strauss, and let Flintoff concentrate on what he does best batting and bowling.

I agree, it won't happen. I thought they should have kept Strauss on as he had a good series as captain against Pakistan in the summer. Flintoff has enough to do in the side without being captain as well.
The only change to the captaincy now (baring injury to Freddie)will be if Vaughan manages to get himself fit for the final 2 tests which is a remote possibility.

Monty should come in regardless, and probably to replace Jimmy rather than Giles as 2 spinners seems to be the way forward at Adelaide.
Harmison needs to stay in the side as like a few have said, he needs to the overs and the confidence.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I personally think that Giles and Anderson should be dropped for Panesar and Mahmood.

Yes, Giles contributed 20-odd with the bat in both innings but his match figures were 1-113. The point is he is a shit bowler WHO DOESN'T TAKE WICKETS.

Re. Anderson, 1-195 is also SHIT. Mahmood can do no worse, he is a damn sight better with the bat AND he is more intimidating for the opposition.

Lastly, if we only make 1 change and bring in Panesar then ALL of the pressure will be lumped on his shoulders to be the saviour. At least with 2 changes that pressure will be spread - sure, Panesar will bare the brunt of it but the England tour party organisers should be able to minimise the exposure on Monty.

P.S: What a f*** up making Flintoff captain. The way Strauss batted he could do with the restraint of captaincy reining in his cavalier strokeplay.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Pavilionaire said:
I personally think that Giles and Anderson should be dropped for Panesar and Mahmood.

Yes, Giles contributed 20-odd with the bat in both innings but his match figures were 1-113. The point is he is a shit bowler WHO DOESN'T TAKE WICKETS.

Re. Anderson, 1-195 is also SHIT. Mahmood can do no worse, he is a damn sight better with the bat AND he is more intimidating for the opposition.

Lastly, if we only make 1 change and bring in Panesar then ALL of the pressure will be lumped on his shoulders to be the saviour. At least with 2 changes that pressure will be spread - sure, Panesar will bare the brunt of it but the England tour party organisers should be able to minimise the exposure on Monty.

P.S: What a f*** up making Flintoff captain. The way Strauss batted he could do with the restraint of captaincy reining in his cavalier strokeplay.

Anderson is nothing but aliability. I have always wondered why anyone rates him. All he seems to be good for is injuring our batsmen in the nets.

Oh and btw someone should teach him how to shave.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Perry Milkins said:
Anderson is nothing but aliability. I have always wondered why anyone rates him. All he seems to be good for is injuring our batsmen in the nets.

Oh and btw someone should teach him how to shave.

Anderson has some talent, but part of the issue is the fact that until the 2005 season he had played hardly any cricket as he got into the England side at much the same time as he broke through at Lancashire and then England kept calling him up, not playing him and not releasing him for Lancashire.

Also he is another one coming back from injury.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Aussies must think about Simon Jones and 2005, then look at the cartoon character that is Jimmy Anderson and piss themselves.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Anderson has some talent, but part of the issue is the fact that until the 2005 season he had played hardly any cricket as he got into the England side at much the same time as he broke through at Lancashire and then England kept calling him up, not playing him and not releasing him for Lancashire.

Also he is another one coming back from injury.

Bucksie..you balled me out about him a couple of years ago!!

:jester:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Perry Milkins said:

See!!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Perry Milkins
Totally agree.

He is an arrogant little *****.

Why oh why do we persist when there are patently better bowlers being ignored.

Not only is he pants when playing but he also injures our top batsmen in the nets.

Is it because he is from the favoured Lancs?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name the better bowlers?

The top 4 pick themselves at Test Level, Hoggard, Freddie, GBH and Jones, but after that? You have Anderson, then Saggers, Lewis, Kirltey, Ali, Wharf. None really set the county game alight.

I would say Anderson needs a season of regular cricket, it does not help that he spends half the summer in the England squad and not playing, so playing for Lancs might be a good thing.

The fact that we are in the Sub Continent next winter might be a blesssing, as we are likely to take at least 3 spinners, so send young Jimmy off to play club cricket in Australia.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Perry Milkins said:

Well possibly.

I think Anderson has some talent, but injuries and lack of competitive cricket have been an issue with him.

It worries me that something similar will happen with Plunkett. If he is not going to feature this series then send him to the Academy, at least he will get some tour games there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here