Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes: First Test *OFFICIAL* thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Complete Badger said:
I can't believe I have sat here for a whole night and watched this festival of shit. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the first test over:(
Yes. Unless Bell and KP can put on 350 it's game over. That is never going to happen.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Ha ha, I feel like a complete mug! I have now had three hours sleep since Tuesday night! I actually thought we bowled pretty well today (amazing as that sounds for a team that conceded 600 runs), but the absolutely apalling shots from Strauss and Collingwood have really let us down. Another miracle from KP is required, but I won't hold out much hope. Anyway, come tomorrow night, I'll be here:clap2:

Nah respect to ya.

Living in OZ and having to stay up so late to listen to the Albion games season after season i can appreciate putting in the hard yards at night.

It's only the first innings of a 5 test series, there's a long way to go and alot of water to pass under the bridge before we know who wins the Ashes.

If you can bat out most of tommorrow and get close to 400 then make the follow on score a draw is very much in the offering.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think this test requires an immediate (well, when they start again, anyway) dose of KP doing what he does best.

If he can come out all guns blazing at the start of Day 3 and start smashing their bowlers all over the place while putting some serious runs on the board, then I think we can at least bat out the day and so give ourselves a very real chance of pinching a draw.

Always look on the bright side :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I watched the morning session last night but it was a waste of time, a more predictable cricket match I have yet to witness.

Yesterday lunchtime I said Day 2's scoring would be Australia 600 and England 60-3 at the close.

The only variable in this match is the amount of runs Bell and Pietersen will score. We need 2 tons from the rest of the order and to get above 403, and while I think we'll have the better of Day 3 morning session I think we'll struggle to 270-280.

Again, Flintoff was under-bowled, Harmison and Anderson over-bowled, Giles 1-91 is what you'd expect from him (yawn!)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
p.s Billy, it was a PLEASURE!
Likewise. Next shift in 11 hours, I might have to throw a few beers into the equation for this one.

If so, any negative comments I may have made over the course of the night about your fine country, I would like to put down to "banter."
Ditto.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
To be fair, listening to Albion games is a far greater achievement because us lot here only have to do this once every four years. Your body must be shattered having to do it every week!

I notice you refer to England as "you." Are you actually an Aussie then, mate? I just presumed you were one of us in exile (albeit a very nice place to be in exile!). If so, any negative comments I may have made over the course of the night about your fine country, I would like to put down to "banter.":blush:

The body is ok, it;s mentally taxing because when we lose i take it a bit hard and sometimes get angry :lolol:

Yes i'm born and bred Aussie.

And it's ok to say negative stuff about us, like anywhere in the world we have our fair share of fuckwits. :shootself

I actually chose to follow NZ in the cricket for a while years back because i hated Alan Border and his mob in the 80's.

It's the old scenario with Australia and England though, in peace we love to be at each others throats, in war we are always side by side.

I have thought before how boring would sport be with no England/Australia rivalry.

We'd have the Kiwis but you can only tell so many sheep jokes before it gets a bit boring.

So feel free to bag the shit of us, although if you can don't pick on Gilly because he supports the same aussie rules team as me :clap:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I heard a report on the pitch today and they said it has started to open up, which is obviously why it was so important to bat first.

I'd say over the next few days the cracks will open up and offer more to the bowlers, which is why today there might have been more movement of the ball contributing to wickets.

Commentator suggest the cracks would be as wide as half a ball by day 5.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Pavilionaire said:
Again, Flintoff was under-bowled, Harmison and Anderson over-bowled, Giles 1-91 is what you'd expect from him (yawn!)

You were doing ok until the last bit LOL

Flintoff Underbowled - No shit sherlock, he is only just getting back to fitness, no sense in risking putting him out of action

Harmison and Anderson over bowled - Again, of course they were, they need to, neither of them have bowled much in the last year

Giles - dont even go there, I'm still pissed about Panesar's exclusion

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
pasty said:
Shame this test isn't going to last that long

Hope so! I'm not suprised we came out all guns ablazing, you can't beat us Aussies convincingly (last Ashes) and expect us to lay down and take it again. However, my main concern is that this is a long hot summer series, and our average age is getting on a bit, will Warney and McGrath still have fresh legs in the 5th test? I'm worried.... Thing is though you wouldn't think the selectors would put them in if they didn't think they could do it... Would they?? ??? However Ponting has had a stonking start - and long may it continue!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
tedebear said:
Hope so! I'm not suprised we came out all guns ablazing, you can't beat us Aussies convincingly (last Ashes) and expect us to lay down and take it again. However, my main concern is that this is a long hot summer series, and our average age is getting on a bit, will Warneyand McGrath still have fresh legs in the 5th test? I'm worried.... Thing is though you wouldn't think the selectors would put them in if they didn't think they could do it... Would they?? ??? However Ponting has had a stonking start - and long may it continue!

Warney the lard arse only walks into bowl and goes the tonk when in batting.

He'll be fine!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here