[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 7, 2003
When you see Stoke's face on the balcony it looks like he would prefer to bring them in but daren't do it now to deprive Bairstow of his ton.

Dec 29, 2011
The only reason I can think of for batting on would be so we can play a VERY attacking field when we bowl.

4 slips, gully, leg slip etc.

I can't think of any other reason.
This is the answer. Psychologically setting a target of 250 to avoid a one innings defeat may be better, and we can set a very aggressive field too

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We are only halfway through the match. If they have to bat with breaks for the weather they will find it much harder than our bowlers will coming off for a rest every so often.
Halfway through the allocated time, maybe. But we won't be seeing another 2.5 days of cricket.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Perhaps the conditions are as batsman friendly as they will be and there's some sticky cloud due along in quarter of an hour or so?
That's what I was thinking. Look at how easy Bristow is making it look – the Aussie top order would be all over that. Wait a bit for the (hopefully worse, but not too bad) weather and it's a different proposition!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
On the exchanges England victory is the shortest.it's been apart for about 10 minutes before.Crawley was out.

My that metric the decision to bat on after lunch is well justified.

Plus it was great fun.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3 slips, a gully, leg slip, short leg, forward short leg, cover and midwicket, please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports