Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Disappointed by how unsurprised I am.

Still, bucket hats, eh?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They don't deserve anything from this series perservering with Bairstow. His keeping is truly awful and he has made one decent score in 6 innings. Talk about a closed shop/jobs for the boys attitude. I keep hearing ( mainly from ex pro's ) how well he has done to recover from his injury....really.....!!!!!.......he has missed 7 chances out of 18 behind the stumps. A decent club keeper would be disappointed with that.
Clearly, they are hoping his batting comes good. Fine, if he sticks around for any length of time but with a technique as loose as his, that is unlikely.
They have obviously decided to stick with him for the whole series, so be it. We all have to get on with it, forget about Foakes and watch him miss more chances behind the stumps and find ever more varied ways of chucking his wicket away.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So...what happens if Bairstow gets injured? Can we call up an emergency WK?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Keep Bairstow for his batting - we're not over-stocked with frst class test batsmen queueing up for a place in England's middle order - but really disappointed Foakes has been frozen out again. Bairstow quite possibly cost us at least one of the first 2 tests - although that could be said of other players suffering from buterfingers too!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Keep Bairstow for his batting - we're not over-stocked with frst class test batsmen queueing up for a place in England's middle order - but really disappointed Foakes has been frozen out again. Bairstow quite possibly cost us at least one of the first 2 tests - although that could be said of other players suffering from buterfingers too!
I'm not convinced Bairstow is a test class bat. 36 average over that duration is mediocre and it's not obviously improving. I'd prefer to try Lawrence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England squad UNCHANGED.

No Foakes.

#cuerants

Well, as much as my feelings are BESMIRCHED by someone stealing my Monday evening before the Test ritual, I am strangely comforted knowing that the tradition of the title format has been maintained.

However, it is normally your duty to include a monologue and prediction (all of mine have been correct even down to the margins thus far) No pressure.

Oh, and the poll, you must include the poll.

For what it is worth, I am forecasting a comfortable Australia win in this event. Happy to be absurdly wrong.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They don't deserve anything from this series perservering with Bairstow. His keeping is truly awful and he has made one decent score in 6 innings. Talk about a closed shop/jobs for the boys attitude. I keep hearing ( mainly from ex pro's ) how well he has done to recover from his injury....really.....!!!!!.......he has missed 7 chances out of 18 behind the stumps. A decent club keeper would be disappointed with that.
Clearly, they are hoping his batting comes good. Fine, if he sticks around for any length of time but with a technique as loose as his, that is unlikely.
They have obviously decided to stick with him for the whole series, so be it. We all have to get on with it, forget about Foakes and watch him miss more chances behind the stumps and find ever more varied ways of chucking his wicket away.
I feel bitterly sorry for Foakes. Its worse than Dunk being overlooked.

He is without any doubt the best gloveman in the land, he'd have snagged many, maybe all of the drops Bairstow fluffed, and he's been scoring well with the bat at County level.

What more can he do....... its a travesty an overweight, out of form Batsman who is proving utterly shit with the gloves isn't judged on actual performances, but on past performance or something else and is instead kept on at the expense of the best keeper in England, whose decent with the bat.

It's nepotism, jobs for the boys.

Bairstow selection has been awful...... doubling down rather than admitting it, is an even bigger mistake.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Foakes batting av is 32 I think
Yes. Looking in more detail, it's dragged down by 3 crap tours of India and the West Indies in 2019, 2021 and 2022. Now clearly he didn't play well on those tours, but to be fair I don't remember many England batters doing well in most of those matches.
Obviously when somebody's only played 20 tests it starts getting a bit meaningless when broken down, but last season in England he averaged exactly 40 against some decent (more than decent in South Africa's case) bowling.
To be clear, I think Bairstow has a much higher ceiling with the bat than Foakes, but over time I don't think he'd score many more.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I do wish politicians would keep their noses out from this sort of thing:
I think it would have been quite funny if there hadn't been a staging element to it. A bit like when Johnson was seen watching the Euros a couple of years back. I think Sunak is a genuine cricket fan, but he's no John Major.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here