[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Still slim hope for the Urn, need them out sub 300 and we need to post 500 + when we we bat.....easy game.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Oh it’s all gone quiet over here!

IMG_3393.jpeg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I get Anderson is a legend and all that but at what point do we say he’s lost his edge?

Feels like there is a lot of protection going on because he is who he is, fact is his bowling this series hasn’t really been good enough has it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I get Anderson is a legend and all that but at what point do we say he’s lost his edge?

Feels like there is a lot of protection going on because he is who he is, fact is his bowling this series hasn’t really been good enough has it.
Two bad matches make a bad bowlereth not. Or something like that. The noise is always louder in the winter of your endeavours.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Two bad matches make a bad bowlereth not. Or something like that. the noise is always louder in the winter of your endeavours.
He’s not bowling badly as such, just a shame to see him stuck at the moment as what almost seems a ‘holding’ pattern bowler.

He’s been Englands worst bowler this series, at home in the ashes, which seems highly unusual.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Two bad matches make a bad bowlereth not. Or something like that. The noise is always louder in the winter of your endeavours.
For me on current form Anderson doesn't make the XI. Yes he's a legend but all things come to an end.
Personally I felt when the team was selected it should have been Tongue over Jimmy just for the pace, Australia have struggled against the short quick stuff.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nobody hates Bairstow, Nev. He just, well in my view, should not be our first choice keeper. And a superb catch won't change that.
Fair enough. I don’t get the much more fervently expressed similar opinions though. The coaches and captain are best placed to pick any team so clearly they see something you don’t. A case can be made for and against him (or any other player) and yet as soon as he makes a mistake people are all over it to justify their opinion. My comment was in cheeky ironic tribute to these posts. I think some people might spontaneously combust if he scores a hundred.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For me it's England's day so far, but betting exchange still seem to have the Aussies as favourites. The draw at 3.8 looks like a very good value bet based on the weather forecast for Sat, Sunday and Monday!
I'm not so sure the weather on Monday will have much effect on the game. But, as I'll be arriving later in the afternoon, pretty sure it'll be raining in Manchester.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nobody hates Bairstow, Nev. He just, well in my view, should not be our first choice keeper. And a superb catch won't change that.
While I agree with you, I can see the reasoning for his selection: with Stokes unable to bowl (more than a few overs), selectors saw the need for an all-rounder in the team.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fair enough. I don’t get the much more fervently expressed similar opinions though. The coaches and captain are best placed to pick any team so clearly they see something you don’t. A case can be made for and against him (or any other player) and yet as soon as he makes a mistake people are all over it to justify their opinion. My comment was in cheeky ironic tribute to these posts. I think some people might spontaneously combust if he scores a hundred.
Bairstow is capable of explosive matchwinning innings in the same vein as Stokes...that's why he's in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports