Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Could I just add what an ugly ground Old Trafford is! Aside from the old pavilion they seem to have gone into overdrive with red rectangles.

And let's all laugh at Ponting's ridiculously dyed black hair.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Could I just add what an ugly ground Old Trafford is! Aside from the old pavilion they seem to have gone into overdrive with red rectangles.

I'd argue the opposite. Like most old Test grounds, there was little to endear it except the original pavilion. Some of its beauty has been lost. But the updated grounds are much better places for cricket. I miss seeing the trains go by though.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I disagree. It’s been modernised but in a way that the new buildings look good. Headingley, however, looks a real mess IMHO.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'd argue the opposite. Like most old Test grounds, there was little to endear it except the original pavilion. Some of its beauty has been lost. But the updated grounds are much better places for cricket. I miss seeing the trains go by though.
Does that temporary stand come down at the end of this match ? I went to OT a couple of times last year and that side looked like a building site. I agree the completed OT is an attractive ground but not with a big hole on one side.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does that temporary stand come down at the end of this match ? I went to OT a couple of times last year and that side looked like a building site. I agree the completed OT is an attractive ground but not with a big hole on one side.
I think it goes up and comes down each year. It would be nice if they had a proper stand there.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think Lords has got it just right with the combination of modern and traditional.
I think Lords is my favourite, mainly because it's on top of the game and has kept the old pavilion with a few modern modifications.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t like Lords. I sat in the pavilion once as a guest of a member. Absolutely hated it. It was incredibly snobby.

Reactions: A1X

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I get Anderson is a legend and all that but at what point do we say he’s lost his edge?

Feels like there is a lot of protection going on because he is who he is, fact is his bowling this series hasn’t really been good enough has it.
Unfortunately we’ve seen clear proof that there’s no room for sentiment in top level sport.

He should never have been recalled.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I think it goes up and comes down each year. It would be nice if they had a proper stand there.
From listening to TMS earlier, it can be taken down and transformed into other things, such as a stage and to provide a large covered space

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not so sure the weather on Monday will have much effect on the game. But, as I'll be arriving later in the afternoon, pretty sure it'll be raining in Manchester.
Looking good for a a full day's play tomorrow. Yes, I forgot that today is only Wednesday! At least Friday's forecast looks ok. Hopefully Saturday and Sunday won't be the complete washout foreast! I might even pop over Sunday if there's a game on!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don’t like Lords. I sat in the pavilion once as a guest of a member. Absolutely hated it. It was incredibly snobby.
Only ever attended as a “normal” attendee, but having been to Lord’s, The Oval and The Rose Bowl for international games, it’s definitely third on the list for fan experience (Oval #1, Ageas #2).

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Only ever attended as a “normal” attendee, but having been to Lord’s, The Oval and The Rose Bowl for international games, it’s definitely third on the list for fan experience (Oval #1, Ageas #2).
Agree completely. Better sight lines too.

Reactions: A1X

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I can’t be doing with those bucket hats Stuart Broad is wearing. They look proper yokel and should have a straw sticking out of his mouth.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've been in the pavilion a few times. Just to feel it's history.

Although a Sussex fan from the heart, I did have a membership at Middlesex for a few years. It was very cheap for those who lived out the region and meant I spent a few summer Saturdays watching Championship cricket at Lords. A very vacant Lords.

One Saturday I went across to the Oval after tea and sneaked in without paying. It's Surrey, I'm sure I'll be forgiven here.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've been in the pavilion a few times. Just to feel it's history.

Although a Sussex fan from the heart, I did have a membership at Middlesex for a few years. It was very cheap for those who lived out the region and meant I spent a few summer Saturdays watching Championship cricket up there.
How did you find the pavilion? I didn’t see a single non-white elderly face - no exaggeration. This in itself wasn’t an issue, but the attitude of entitlement as they tutted and adjusted their club ties… I don’t know, it just really wasn’t for me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How did you find the pavilion? I didn’t see a single non-white elderly face - no exaggeration. This in itself wasn’t an issue, but the attitude of entitlement as they tutted and adjusted their club ties… I don’t know, it just really wasn’t for me.
A bit like the East Stand at Falmer then :whistle: (all except the ties-pretty slovenly lot in there most weeks).

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Had to both wear jacket and tie, as you know. I didn't really notice because there weren't many folk in there. It was the early 90s so I guess we were used to cricket having such demographics in that setting. The one thing that was noticeable was the officious nature of the stewards who were ironically people of colour. If I were of an ethnic minority I'm not sure that I would have fancied a gig like that which seemed to stick to the ideals of Empire.

The most sacred place was the MCC shop. Only members could buy anything in there. The peasants could only watch them go in. My mate, as devious as I, managed to slip officialdom and proudly showed me the MCC towel he had bought a few days later. Fortunate chap, they would have had him down the gallows at Tyburn before you could say 'Well bowled Mr Rhodes'.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A bit like the East Stand at Falmer then :whistle: (all except the ties-pretty slovenly lot in there most weeks).
Excuse me, Mr Neville-Hash Brown, I'll have you know the East Upper is a bastion of animated enthusiasm. I was known to clap very loudly in my days of attendance.

Used to wake Ethel and Arthur up though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here