[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
LBW given this time... but looked leggy to me... only has to be clipping...

and IT IS!!!!

Green gone for 16

254-6

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thought that might be missing. Maybe it was. But DRS rules. I wonder how accurate it actually is.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
‘just clipping’

It’s called LEG BEFORE WICKET, the ball was hitting the stumps so it’s rightfully out and good decision by the umpire, makes me laugh when pundits act like he’s unlucky to be given out because it’s only clipping half a bail

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
‘just clipping’

It’s called LEG BEFORE WICKET, the ball was hitting the stumps so it’s rightfully out and good decision by the umpire, makes me laugh when pundits act like he’s unlucky to be given out because it’s only clipping half a bail

There was clearly doubt to be had - we were lucky the umpire gave that one - especially as earlier ones which were CLATTERING the stumps were not given.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Good persistence from England. Every time it looks like Australia are getting away a wicket (or two in this case!) falls. Aus out for under 300 would be a good day's work.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Great catch. Well done Bairstow.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think anyone was more surprised by that than Bairstow himself :ROFLMAO:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For me it's England's day so far, but betting exchange still seem to have the Aussies as favourites. The draw at 3.8 looks like a very good value bet based on the weather forecast for Sat, Sunday and Monday!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There was clearly doubt to be had - we were lucky the umpire gave that one - especially as earlier ones which were CLATTERING the stumps were not given.
There’s always going to be an element of doubt, you give an LBW decision if you think the batsman has stopped the ball hitting any part of the stumps with his pad.

DRS has made people view LBW decisions being given as unlucky if it’s only clipping, it’s not.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
There’s always going to be an element of doubt, you give an LBW decision if you think the batsman has stopped the ball hitting any part of the stumps with his pad.

DRS has made people view LBW decisions being given as unlucky if it’s only clipping, it’s not.

I give up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That’s the equivalent of a striker missing 26 sitters then scoring one goal and going HA have that haters.

It’s a fantastic catch, doesn’t change the fact he shouldn’t be in the team.
We will have to agree to disagree. Brilliant cricketer and really important component of this team. You don’t drop someone of his ability so easily. Some posters on here want him to fail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports