Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Out of interest, did you start watching around the late 60s?
Looking at the matches at Old Trafford, they started the summer there in 6 years between 1963 and 74, but almost never outside of that period. As it happens, all of those matches managed to finish with wins for one of the sides, despite the Manchester weather. :lolol:
Good guess - I was born in’57 and went to my first Sussex game in ‘65 when SA toured - I still have the pic of the England Test Team of that era which my lovely ‘sis(8 years older) bought for me. By then I was hooked - very sadly I ‘scored’ a few Sussex games for my own purposes from the top of the Sea End stand(was it Arthur Gilligan?)in the late 60’s and watched the Test Matches religiously on the TV. My Wisden Almanack from 1969(covering the ‘68 season obvs) remains a prized possession!
Albion then began to take over my actual practical attendance other than the occasional Sussex game and Test Match at The Oval/Lords.
A long time ago now!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
very sadly I ‘scored’ a few Sussex games for my own purposes from the top of the Sea End stand(was it Arthur Gilligan?)in the late 60’s
What do you mean 'sadly'? I was bought a huge scorebook just for that purpose for one of my birthdays - about A3 size. Brilliant. I have a day at a test at the Oval in it somewhere as well.

I have a scorecard fully filled out from a one-day match in Australia somewhere as well - I was quite proud I could remember how to draw up all the boxes etc on a notebook.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
What do you mean 'sadly'? I was bought a huge scorebook just for that purpose for one of my birthdays - about A3 size. Brilliant. I have a day at a test at the Oval in it somewhere as well.

I have a scorecard fully filled out from a one-day match in Australia somewhere as well - I was quite proud I could remember how to draw up all the boxes etc on a notebook.
I was aiming to reflect how times had changed. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt there are as many 11 year olds these days who would have the required patience(or interest) - the internet means it’s a different world now and childhood seems very different. Maybe it’s better but I enjoyed mine!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Just reading someone talking about the home grounds for the next England ashes series in 2027....i hadnt seen before, a little controversial!

No headingly (where we've won last 2 games) and no Old Trafford.

Most northern ground is Trent Bridge, Nottingham, with Edgebaston, Lords, Oval.

But also Southampton.
I love TB and happy to see it back in the mix. But Rose Bowl over one of Headingley or OT is a travesty of a decision. No doubt money related.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I assume the people complaining about Bazball and demanding "proper cricket" are positively enraptured by the match between West Indies and India at the moment.
India over 150 runs ahead, 8 wickets in hand and still scoring at under 3 an over.
And people ask why tests don't attract big crowds in other countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here