Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just to be boring about this for a minute, I believe Australia were only awarded a single lbw over the whole series, which suggests a severe bout of not-outism rather than conspiracy.

It wasn't quite as bad as that, but Australia were only awarded five LBWs in the whole series. What's the opposite of trigger-happy umpires?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If they'd finished the Riverside when you were there, I think it will be pretty much the same now. The only notable difference will be that the temporary stand on the Lumley Castle side is there all the time now (but often doesn't have any actual seats I'm it).
I think Wantage Road is also the worst I've been to. Grace Road is pretty uninspiring as well but it was a nice sunny day and I like Leicester more than Northampton anyway.
The only test ground in Britain I've not been to is the Rose Bowl, which I've no intention of changing any time soon.
The Rose Ageas Bowl is a tidy ground - really quite well done, but obviously has no history, and little character.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It wasn't quite as bad as that, but Australia were only awarded five LBWs in the whole series. What's the opposite of trigger-happy umpires?
Oh, I stand corrected.
I think it's harder to get an LBW in Australia anyway, because of the bounce in the pitches, but that does still seem extraordinarily low.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The Rose Ageas Bowl is a tidy ground - really quite well done, but obviously has no history, and little character.
This, combined with my general antipathy towards Hampshire in general and Southampton in particular, is why I'm in no hurry to go there.
Also, it's comfortably the least convenient ground in the country for me to go to from where I live or anywhere I can stay.
My aim is to go to as many outgrounds as possible while counties still play at them, I'm hoping to get down to Cheltenham at the end of the month.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think the Aussies will have green and marsh in for the next one. The spinner is pointless so might as well have the batting of marsh and green and trust head. Cummins clearly doesn’t fancy the young spinner.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This, combined with my general antipathy towards Hampshire in general and Southampton in particular, is why I'm in no hurry to go there.
Also, it's comfortably the least convenient ground in the country for me to go to from where I live or anywhere I can stay.
My aim is to go to as many outgrounds as possible while counties still play at them, I'm hoping to get down to Cheltenham at the end of the month.
Love an outground, me.

I've been lucky enough to play on a few around the country - Tunbridge Wells, Southport, Liverpool, Rhos-on-Sea

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was chatting to a mate yesterday, what with all the 2005 comparisons and he was saying, (and I agree with him) that either side from that series would crush either side from this series.

I actually think the standard of cricket has been quite poor this time round, so many no balls, dropped catches, poor keeping, batsmen unwilling or unable to leave. Strauss's team, or Pontings, would bury these sides under a mountain of runs

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was chatting to a mate yesterday, what with all the 2005 comparisons and he was saying, (and I agree with him) that either side from that series would crush either side from this series.

I actually think the standard of cricket has been quite poor this time round, so many no balls, dropped catches, poor keeping, batsmen unwilling or unable to leave. Strauss's team, or Pontings, would bury these sides under a mountain of runs
There would probably have been as many no balls in 2005 if the front foot of every delivery had been scrutinised to the extent it is now.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
There would probably have been as many no balls in 2005 if the front foot of every delivery had been scrutinised to the extent it is now.
Even as it was, they managed more back then:
Without checking, I know McGrath bowled Vaughan off a no ball at Old Trafford when he was on about 40, on his way to 160.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Even as it was, they managed more back then:
Without checking, I know McGrath bowled Vaughan off a no ball at Old Trafford when he was on about 40, on his way to 160.
I remember that. Geoff Boycott almost ejaculated on air during the TMS commentary when it became apparent that the umpire was signalling.

Jimmy Grimble

Didn’t manage to watch any of the our 2nd innings live so caught up on the extended highlights.

From watching them it seems like we had some slices of luck with edges that didn’t carry, the ball landing safely after dodgy shots, played and misses, etc. Maybe it was just the way the highlights were put together.

I felt like Australia had the better of the luck in the first two tests so maybe it’s evening itself out!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
At some point I'll hopefully play at Feethams, which Durham used to use as an outground.
We went there some years ago. Bit of a nostalgia trip for me as I spent a season watching Darlington in the late 70s when I was a kid. You walked through the ‘twin towers’ entrance that Wembley modeled itself upon and round the cricket pitch into the football ground. I remember them playing cricket as I walked round, bought a programme and headed onto the terrace immediately behind. Quite sad to see the derelict football stadium and being unable to go any further than the cricket ground.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We went there some years ago. Bit of a nostalgia trip for me as I spent a season watching Darlington in the late 70s when I was a kid. You walked through the ‘twin towers’ entrance that Wembley modeled itself upon and round the cricket pitch into the football ground. I remember them playing cricket as I walked round, bought a programme and headed onto the terrace immediately behind. Quite sad to see the derelict football stadium and being unable to go any further than the cricket ground.
There's a housing estate where the football pitch used to be now.
They're talking about sites to build a new ground in the next couple of years, but I think they've been talking about it for a while now.
My uncles have some, let's say "eye opening" stories about the owner who built the massive stadium outside of town.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Re comparisons with 2005. I am not sure about a composite team for England based on performances. Bell was close to useless in that series apart from a couple of 50s at old Trafford. Geraint jones was useless and he dropped something 12 chances that series including a simple stumping off warne which added 2 sessions to the game. He was a clown show. Giles also didn’t do much other than try to keep it tight - didn’t he average about 60 that series with the ball? Vaughan was captain but apart from one knock when he was bowled off a no call he scored sod all.

In terms of the Aussies. The seam attack in this aussie side is better overall. McGrath was brilliant in the three games he played but didn’t I see the other seamers all went at over 4. Kasp was never that good, Dizzy was useless and although Lee and Tait were quick they went around the park. The Aussie attack was carried by warne who famously got 40 wickets.

I don’t think Gilly managed a 50. Martyn was dropped mid series and Katich playing 5 tests while Hussey watched was just bizarre. Hayden was old and rubbish and until he got a ton in the final test (too slowly and cost them) I don’t think he past 50 did he?

We love to look back through rose tinted glasses at that series but there was a lot of junk playing!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This might be my mind playing tricks on my but I seem to recall Vaughan was dropped the ball before he was bowled by a no ball and Glenn almost spontaneously combusted.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There's a housing estate where the football pitch used to be now.
They're talking about sites to build a new ground in the next couple of years, but I think they've been talking about it for a while now.
My uncles have some, let's say "eye opening" stories about the owner who built the massive stadium outside of town.
Bit like the Goldstone I prefer to remember Feethams as it was ! I liked to stand on the small terrace next to the Tin Shed End although I tried all sides of the ground. George Reynolds was a long way after my time. Apologies to cricket fans for hijacking the thread with Darlo memories !

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Well played England. Far better bowling selection produced good results, exposed Australia's out-of-sorts top order more than the previous line ups did. Stokes had genuine options to play with, changing the bowler changed the challenge the batters were facing instead of (in the first two tests) getting more of pretty much the same with a different face attached.

Still some very worrying problems in England's play, though - more dropped catches (particularly in Australia's first innings) that could have cost the match.

Really enjoying this series - all 3 matches have been too close to call until they were actually won, all 3 matches have had the pendulum swing from advantage one side to advantage the other multiple times. Some memorable bowling spells, some very memorable batting innings. It feels like any of a 2-3 / 3-2 / 2-2 result would be fair at this point.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well played England. Far better bowling selection produced good results, exposed Australia's out-of-sorts top order more than the previous line ups did. Stokes had genuine options to play with, changing the bowler changed the challenge the batters were facing instead of (in the first two tests) getting more of pretty much the same with a different face attached.

Still some very worrying problems in England's play, though - more dropped catches (particularly in Australia's first innings) that could have cost the match.

Really enjoying this series - all 3 matches have been too close to call until they were actually won, all 3 matches have had the pendulum swing from advantage one side to advantage the other multiple times. Some memorable bowling spells, some very memorable batting innings. It feels like any of a 2-3 / 3-2 / 2-2 result would be fair at this point.
I was pleasantly surprised by how many chances our bowling attack came up with in the first two matches, despite looking one paced* and one dimensional on paper.
They seemed a bit out of puff by the end at Edgbaston, but if they'd managed to keep their feet behind the white line and the fielders had taken a sensible proportion of chances the series would be looking very different.
That's not me making excuses, to be clear. Taking catches and not bowling no balls are pretty fundamental cricket skills. Like being able to breath and walk at the same time.

*One paced isn't quite right actually. Robinson offered a bit of variety, it's just he was bowling noticeably slower than the others instead of noticeably quicker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here