Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Well played England. Far better bowling selection produced good results, exposed Australia's out-of-sorts top order more than the previous line ups did. Stokes had genuine options to play with, changing the bowler changed the challenge the batters were facing instead of (in the first two tests) getting more of pretty much the same with a different face attached.

Still some very worrying problems in England's play, though - more dropped catches (particularly in Australia's first innings) that could have cost the match.

Really enjoying this series - all 3 matches have been too close to call until they were actually won, all 3 matches have had the pendulum swing from advantage one side to advantage the other multiple times. Some memorable bowling spells, some very memorable batting innings. It feels like any of a 2-3 / 3-2 / 2-2 result would be fair at this point.
2-1 feels about right, but it could easily be 2-1 the other way too. The series held here are often close and really good contests, it’s rare that we get the same ebb and flow in the games and series down under and more often than not we are just trying to avoid being embarrassed (with the odd blip like 86/7 and 10/11 of course!).

I thought it odd that McGrath pointed to the fact that we had the best of the conditions, undoubtedly true, without mentioning the fact that we were at least one bowler down the whole game. He’s not the most even handed of pundits, I’m afraid! Funnily enough it’s worked the other way in other games, eg Lyon getting injured and that spell under lights at Edgbaston where we lost 2 key wickets. It just goes to show how the games have swung both ways with luck being on one side then the other. Can’t wait for the next two!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
2-1 feels about right, but it could easily be 2-1 the other way too. The series held here are often close and really good contests, it’s rare that we get the same ebb and flow in the games and series down under and more often than not we are just trying to avoid being embarrassed (with the odd blip like 86/7 and 10/11 of course!).

I thought it odd that McGrath pointed to the fact that we had the best of the conditions, undoubtedly true, without mentioning the fact that we were at least one bowler down the whole game. He’s not the most even handed of pundits, I’m afraid! Funnily enough it’s worked the other way in other games, eg Lyon getting injured and that spell under lights at Edgbaston where we lost 2 key wickets. It just goes to show how the games have swung both ways with luck being on one side then the other. Can’t wait for the next two!
Agreed - and thanks for all the photos!

For the first time in ages yesterday I had the main TV to myself and did the TMS commentary alongside the Sky pics(time adjusted obvs).
TMS remains the benchmark for me - even though dear old Johnners, CMJ etc are long departed sadly, Aggers , Tuffers etc still do a very good job

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I quite liked what someone (can't remember whom) said on TMS: overall England have had the better of the conditions, but Australia have had the most impactful/intensive benefit of the conditions in the two wickets at Edgbaston. I think that's about right. Vaughan has been OTT in dissing England, I think.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just reading someone talking about the home grounds for the next England ashes series in 2027....i hadnt seen before, a little controversial!

No headingly (where we've won last 2 games) and no Old Trafford.

Most northern ground is Trent Bridge, Nottingham, with Edgebaston, Lords, Oval.

But also Southampton.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We need to stop playing Ashes Tests at Lords.

Its a constant handicap which all but guarantees the convicts a draw at worse.
Agree with our record, would be refreshing but it won't happen, ever!

Home of the cucumber sandwich MCC blazers, who believe they are the pillars of English cricket.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
😁

Attachments

• IMG-20230711-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230711-WA0000.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 34

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Just reading someone talking about the home grounds for the next England ashes series in 2027....i hadnt seen before, a little controversial!

But also Southampton.
Sounds a poor decision to me but I’m getting old - in yesteryear I’m sure it used to be 1 OT 2 L 3 E or TB 4 H 5 TO. Trouble was in my memory the early test in Manchester was more likely to be rained off!!
Mind you I also preferred it when counties often played a touring team - I’m another who preferred it without the silly Hundred nonsense. JPL on a Sunday afternoon …….

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

But also Southampton.

Trent Bridge is my favourite and has the next 2 series and Headingley returns.

Men's Ashes Test venues 2027​

• Lord's (London)
  • The Oval (London)
  • Trent Bridge (Nottingham)
  • The Ageas Bowl (Southampton)
  • Edgbaston (Birmingham)

Men's Ashes Test venues 2031​

• Lord's (London)
  • The Oval (London)
  • Old Trafford (Manchester)
  • Headingley (Leeds)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Sounds a poor decision to me but I’m getting old - in yesteryear I’m sure it used to be 1 OT 2 L 3 E or TB 4 H 5 TO. Trouble was in my memory the early test in Manchester was more likely to be rained off!!
Mind you I also preferred it when counties often played a touring team - I’m another who preferred it without the silly Hundred nonsense. JPL on a Sunday afternoon …….
Out of interest, did you start watching around the late 60s?
Looking at the matches at Old Trafford, they started the summer there in 6 years between 1963 and 74, but almost never outside of that period. As it happens, all of those matches managed to finish with wins for one of the sides, despite the Manchester weather. :lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

But also Southampton.
That is ridiculous. Particularly Southampton. As Wood said after the game:’the atmosphere is always better up north.’

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’m still not convinced about getting rid of the Stonegate eggs …..

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Out of interest, did you start watching around the late 60s?
Looking at the matches at Old Trafford, they started the summer there in 6 years between 1963 and 74, but almost never outside of that period. As it happens, all of those matches managed to finish with wins for one of the sides, despite the Manchester weather. :lolol:
It's an interesting one. Manchester is by far the wettest venue. But when we look at positive results, India and the West Indies produce far more draws as nations.

I'm pretty sure that, internationally, Sydney is second to Manchester. Which is ironic as, although I'm not certain, Sydney is England's best overseas venue for results. When I lived there I saw plenty of rain.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Trent Bridge is my favourite and has the next 2 series and Headingley returns.

Men's Ashes Test venues 2027​

• Lord's (London)
  • The Oval (London)
  • The Ageas Bowl (Southampton)
  • Edgbaston (Birmingham)

Men's Ashes Test venues 2031​

• Lord's (London)
  • The Oval (London)
  • Old Trafford (Manchester)
  • Headingley (Leeds)
Are they in the order they'll be played? That would be quite interesting to have the final game at Headingly/Edgbaston.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are they in the order they'll be played? That would be quite interesting to have the final game at Headingly/Edgbaston.

It would be good but I assume Lord's 2nd Test and the Oval the 5th.
Just hope I'll still be around in 2031. Might start working on cutting the booze 🤔

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here