Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They didn’t need to do that. The ball appeared to be dead. The Aussies shouldn’t have taken advantage of any misunderstanding and should have withdrawn the appeal. If it had been a goal scored in football I would have expected my team to allow the opposition to score.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They didn’t need to do that. The ball appeared to be dead. The Aussies shouldn’t have taken advantage of any misunderstanding and should have withdrawn the appeal. If it had been a goal scored in football I would have expected my team to allow the opposition to score.
Agreed. There are conventions in cricket that have always been observed whether or not they’re in the rules. Aussies have cheated those conventions, just like they did bowling underarm against NZ all those years ago. It might not be cheating the rules but it’s certainly cheating the game.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Agreed. There are conventions in cricket that have always been observed whether or not they’re in the rules. Aussies have cheated those conventions, just like they did bowling underarm against NZ all those years ago. It might not be cheating the rules but it’s certainly cheating the game.
This Aussie team still contains Smith and Warner, the architects of Sandpaper-gate.....the most egregious act of cheating in modern-day cricket. They obviously do not understand that cricket demands the game be played in the right spirit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Disgraceful cheating. Not in the spirit of cricket at all. Anyone defending that needs to learn more about cricket.
I don't agree. You cannot conflate the 'spirit of cricket' with cheating. The 'spirit of cricket' is a very arbitrary statement and such values are often proportionate to the situation the match is in.

I would only frown upon a protocol not being applied outside of the laws if there was a universal consensus. In this instant there isn't. England would have done the same, and have attempted to do so in the past. I would go further and say that if Bairstow had ran out Carey in the same way a lot of the folk up in arms would be giving it the large.

A view of such things needs all angles to be considered. From that view my feeling is that I didn't like it, but I have no complaints and would not want to be charged with hypocrisy. You cannot charge someone with cheating for using initiative within the laws that their opponents would have employed if the pressure was on.

I would say Grant Elliot's run out in 2008, which Collingwood would not withdraw because of the match situation, was worse.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Overall we’ve been totally found out this series. I’m not against bazball as it’s been thoroughly entertaining and it’s won more than it’s lost but against top teams there needs to be a plan b
If we'd taken catches in the first match, or Broad's wicket wasn't a no-ball, we'd have won. Also, Australia are the number one side. So we should have beat them despite the fact they're the best side. So no, bazball wasn't found out.

Jimmy Grimble

The sticking point for me is the umpire. He’s turned his head away - to him the ball is dead. Do test match umpires really announce ‘over bowled’ at the end of each over in a Test? You never hear it picked up on the stump mics.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Aussies are cheating.

Quite frankly it’s not surprising at all.
From bowling underarm to sandpapering the ball, they really don’t understand that sometimes, winning isn’t everything.

Is any other cricket team so consistently outside the spirit of cricket?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't agree. You cannot conflate the 'spirit of cricket' with cheating. The 'spirit of cricket' is a very arbitrary statement and such values are often proportionate to the situation the match is in.

I would only frown upon a protocol not being applied outside of the laws if there was a universal consensus. In this instant there isn't. England would have done the same, and have attempted to do so in the past. I would go further and say that if Bairstow had ran out Carey in the same way a lot of the folk up in arms would be giving it the large.

A view of such things needs all things to be considered. From that view my feeling is that I didn't like it, but I have no complaints and would not want to be charged with hypocrisy. You cannot charge someone with cheating for using initiative within the laws that their opponents would have employed if the pressure was on.

I would say Grant Elliot's run out in 2008, which Collingwood would not withdraw because of the match situation, was worse.
I very much doubt this current England team would do the same - even if Bairstow had had run out carey, Stokes would, I'm sure, have withdrawn the appeal. And you can't use the excuse of "pressure" - the spirit of the game doesn't suddenly get suspended when it comes to crunch moments (eg: Weghorst in Solly's ear at Wembley)....plus, the Aussies pretty much had the game in the bag anyway!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This Aussie team still contains Smith and Warner, the architects of Sandpaper-gate.....the most egregious act of cheating in modern-day cricket. They obviously do not understand that cricket demands the game be played in the right spirit.

Smith and Warner should have been banned from international cricket for life.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You must applaud everytime Kane wins a freekick or pen under minimal contact as them is the rules.
Them is.

Deal with it or play a different game - rounders anyone?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Aussies are cheating.

Quite frankly it’s not surprising at all.
From bowling underarm to sandpapering the ball, they really don’t understand that sometimes, winning isn’t everything.

Is any other cricket team so consistently outside the spirit of cricket?
No no no.
Only the Australians get to decide what's in the spirit of cricket.
They've got a line, you see. As long as they don't cross it, they can't possibly be wrong.
:tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser::tosser:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spirit has changed though….was interesting over the last few years to play a few games of (lower) league cricket, and watch junior play in higher standard games. The levels of sportsmanship compared to when I played ‘decent’ cricket 30 years ago have plummeted - I gave up when I saw a middle aged man give an abusive foul-mouthed ‘send off’ to a 14 year old kid in a 3rd XI game. This wasn’t uncommon from what I saw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here