Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I thought it was odd that we suddenly seemed to go very defensive with the fields towards the end. I know we didn’t have loads of runs to play with but felt like with that, and not taking the new ball, it was the first time we’d taken a backwards step in the game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That declaration seemed silly at the time and priced to be. Missed chances and very fine margins though - should have won that. I think NSC should collectively agree not to make predictions on here so boldly as most have been totally wrong - a classic but gutting to see them knobs celebrating.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought it was odd that we suddenly seemed to go very defensive with the fields towards the end. I know we didn’t have loads of runs to play with but felt like with that, and not taking the new ball, it was the first time we’d taken a backwards step in the game.

Pro sport, winning is everything. Aussies cottoned on to that decades ago, a grittiness in every sport, fighting to preserve every precious test wicket in cricket, 100% concentration to the end. Occasionally we’re loaned The Ashes when the likes of Strauss masterfully match that.

Too clever by half on day one. Test cricket simply doesn’t require a silly hasty decision when less than 20% of a game has passed. Always bat opponents into the ground in the first innings of a test.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I found it enthralling and it's only the first test. Lots of cricket to be played yet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's gutting to lose like this and not good now for the rest of the series. In order to reclaim the Ashes we now need to win 2 of the next 4 Tests and close out the other two for draws.. going to be hard as Anderson and Broad are starting to lose their edge, Stokes can't bowl much and our main spinner is out and his replacement has worn his finger away having bowled too much in too short a time. The Aussie batting machine never really got going in this Test and it will be miraculous to contain them all series, they will bat us out of the game if they get going.

It's looking grim unless we can unearth a bowler or two that the Aussies have not sussed already.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From award winning writer Kevin Garside. Lots of positives in the entire article about Bazball and the Stokes methods, but a stark message that some test fundamentals never change.

IMG_4455.png

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Frustrating to be largely the better team, but mistakes in the field, injury to Moeen and Stoke’s knee, but what a fantastic match. In 2019 I thought we were very lucky to win that one and today the tables turned.

Love to see Foakes back in the gloves for Lords.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's gutting to lose like this and not good now for the rest of the series. In order to reclaim the Ashes we now need to win 2 of the next 4 Tests and close out the other two for draws.. going to be hard as Anderson and Broad are starting to lose their edge, Stokes can't bowl much and our main spinner is out and his replacement has worn his finger away having bowled too much in too short a time. The Aussie batting machine never really got going in this Test and it will be miraculous to contain them all series, they will bat us out of the game if they get going.

It's looking grim unless we can unearth a bowler or two that the Aussies have not sussed already.
Don’t be so negative. We got absolutely pummelled in the first test in 2005, and look what happened. We lost this one by fine margins, and that was with only having 3 full-time bowlers in the 2nd innings. Back at full strength and the series is still there to win.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It looks silly losing a match after an unforced first innings declaration on the first day, but a match is won and lost over the duration.

Stokes has convinced me he is our best captain since Brearley, in fact in many ways I'd make a case for him being better if he could weigh the more obvious odds in 'Bazball' that go against the team. An example was when Cummins field was so poorly spread England could have comfortably kept five an over in singles and twos. There was no need to keep attacking when runs were freely offered at low risk.

That does frustrate me so, because his tactical intelligence is as such that he could do even better. It's just a reckless 10% that needs to be cut out of the current batting approach. It cost some decent and set batsman big runs during easy periods.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
England played irresponsible cricket all through this Test. Two stumpings and an arrogant and unnecessary declaration suggested an attempt at rubbing Aussie noses in it. It was too loose and too cavalier. Bairstow's inept wicketkeeping ensured that a first innings lead of 70 -80 was only 7. Despite all this, England still had control today until Stokes decided to persevere with Moeen and Root. A series of long hops and slow half volleys encouraged the Aussies back in. By the time the new ball was taken the momentum had swung.
England had a huge chance to get their noses in front but chucking this game away suggests an uphill battle from now on. Bazball is effective against the lesser teams but trying to live by the fire v the top Test team in the world will mean we die by the fire more.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Don’t be so negative. We got absolutely pummelled in the first test in 2005, and look what happened. We lost this one by fine margins, and that was with only having 3 full-time bowlers in the 2nd innings. Back at full strength and the series is still there to win.
Trouble is - Smith, Labushchagne and Warner ain't all going to have as bad a match next time around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here