Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Trouble is - Smith, Labushchagne and Warner ain't all going to have as bad a match next time around.

This is very true

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Trouble is - Smith, Labushchagne and Warner ain't all going to have as bad a match next time around.
Works both ways. Anderson doesn’t usually only get one wicket, and Stokes usually has a much bigger contribution.

Besides, Broad has Warners number.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you remember when Nazzer made his error ?
Why wouldn't anyone want to bowl first on a flat top in Brisbane, in 35 degrees, having just conceded nearly 600 to Queensland in the state game ? Makes a man of yer.

Anyway, England kept them down to 492.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not buying this “but what a great game” spiel at all.

Losing to Australia f***ing sucks, I hate it and I hate them. Pricks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not buying this “but what a great game” spiel at all.

Losing to Australia f***ing sucks, I hate it and I hate them. Pricks.
Well yes I know what you mean. But when the emotion clears I think we can reflect that we have a terrific chance for the rest of the series if we play like that.

I'd rank it as one of the best 10 tests I've ever seen.

I thought we lost it in the field. We need to tighten up on some basics.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Cannot disagree more, declaration would have been hailed as a masterstroke if we'd get a wicket or two before close. Really brave and to be applauded - without the declaration chances are game would have fizzled out to a draw.

Tell me how we shoehorn Foakes into side, drop Bairstow, Crawley and push Pope or Bairstow to open, neither help the balance of the team.

New ball I'm inclined to agree, although they did score freely from it.

Bazball is the way Brighton play under RDZ, won't always work, but will more often than not, better to win than think, what if? Better to lose than think what if.

I'm a fan, great series set up.

As an aside great to hear Aussie commentators praising England and not being completely biased.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Why wouldn't anyone want to bowl first on a flat top in Brisbane, in 35 degrees, having just conceded nearly 600 to Queensland in the state game ? Makes a man of yer.

Anyway, England kept them down to 492.
I've seen somewhere (can't remember where, probably on cricinfo) that statistically bowling first was the correct choice at the start of that test, given the teams (that England team were dead certs to get thrashed anyway) and whatever else goes into these analyses.
He probably didn't plan on losing Simon Jones in the first session either.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cannot disagree more, declaration would have been hailed as a masterstroke if we'd get a wicket or two before close. Really brave and to be applauded - without the declaration chances are game would have fizzled out to a draw.

Tell me how we shoehorn Foakes into side, drop Bairstow, Crawley and push Pope or Bairstow to open, neither help the balance of the team.

New ball I'm inclined to agree, although they did score freely from it.

Bazball is the way Brighton play under RDZ, won't always work, but will more often than not, better to win than think, what if? Better to lose than think what if.

I'm a fan, great series set up.

As an aside great to hear Aussie commentators praising England and not being completely biased.
Bairstow has been in form, but Foakes is worth as many runs. Just not so spectacular. Then there is the chances he might take that Bairstow wouldn't. Always play your best keeper.

I've been consistent about the declaration. It shouldn't have happened when advantages are weighed up. And if England won or lost it matters not. Advantages can only be weighed in the moment.

I'm not going to say 'I told you so' because matches are won and lost over five days. I'd say Bairstow's keeping was a bigger issue. But it was the 10% excess of Bazball that could do with being parked.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Bairstow has been in form, but Foakes is worth as many runs. Just not so spectacular. Then there is the chances he might take that Bairstow wouldn't. Always play your best keeper.

I've been consistent about the declaration. It shouldn't have happened when advantages are weighed up. And if England won or lost it matters not. Advantages can only be weighed in the moment.

I'm not going to say 'I told you so' because matches are won and lost over five days. I'd say Bairstow's keeping was a bigger issue. But it was the 10% excess of Bazball that could do with being parked.
Bairstow's keeping cost us significantly more than the declaration did.
As did Broad's inablilty to keep his front foot behind the line. Has he always done that without me noticing or did he just lose his run up this game?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bairstow's keeping cost us significantly more than the declaration did.
As did Broad's inablilty to keep his front foot behind the line. Has he always done that without me noticing or did he just lose his run up this game?
I think one of his problems maybe the lack of game time. He doesn't play week in week out. Keeps him fit for the Tests, but he needs to work on it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I'm still stunned that Foakes isn't in, by far the best gloveman in England and maybe even the world right now. Its not as if he's shit with bat either, In good form for Surrey now, just hit a ton and his test average is only a couple of runs off Bairstow and Jos Butler.

Bairstow missed catches, missed a stumping and I'd argue is hugely inerior with the gloves. If he was massively superior with the bat, maybe you'd get the trade off, but he's not, he's just a bit more aggressive/positive.

Bairstow did well in first innings scoring 78, but his fluffs/misses:

Green on 0, and then Carey on 26 and 52, adds up to 78 runs, exactly the same as Bairstow got.

So could be argued net contribution was bugger all!

Ben Foakes not being in is crazy imho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here